is there a way to buy digital games while also use CFW and homebrews without risk of ban?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by orangpelupa, Oct 22, 2018.

1. orangpelupa
    OP

orangpelupa GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2009
    Indonesia
    on PS Vita, i used to do that by buying games thru PSN website, but download/install thru "download list" so the PS Vita can download without login to PSN. then firmware newer than 3.65 came out and i no longer can do that, so i buy from PSN website, but download/install thru NPS.

I want to do the same thing with my Switch. But it seems nintendo doesnt have a web-store?

is there a way to buy digital games while also use CFW and homebrews without risk of ban? and without buying/borrowing another switch.

thankyou

2. arianadark

arianadark GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2016
    United States
  3. WonderBoom

WonderBoom Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2018
    Turkey
    No because any non-Nintendo authorised activity on the Switch will "taint" the system and Nintendo can pick up on this once you connect to their servers.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes its called not using CFW or homebrew.

Tinnetju likes this.
  5. ph3d

ph3d Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2018
    United Kingdom
    No but you can just download them if you are on CFW..

6. Tinnetju

Tinnetju Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2018
    Netherlands
    Which can also get you (super)banned

7. orangpelupa
    OP

orangpelupa GBAtemp Regular

Aug 7, 2009
    Indonesia
    Gbatemp just notified me that this thread got lots of views.

So it seems there are lots like me who have cfw switch but also want to buy digital games but got no solution :(

8. Coathanger08

Coathanger08 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2017
    Canada
    I'm sorry but most of us are wondering why, not a way to buy digital games. Sounds like you should stick with OFW but have Lakka on a sdcard?
    Have a great day :).

Edit:Just realized this is super old... anyways if it helps the guy lol.

Last edited by Coathanger08, Feb 6, 2019
  9. blahblah

blahblah GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 16, 2018
    United States
    There is no solution. You need to accept that. If you want to do stuff moderately safely, get a second Switch for legit activity. Keep your CFW Switch offline - use 90DNS or just delete WiFi settings from it.

ELY_M likes this.
  10. fiis

fiis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2015
    United States
    Is there freeshop like there is on 3DS?

11. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    Using SX OS you can minimize your risk of ban by restricting all homebrew and CFW usage to a EmuNAND stored on SD.

When Atmosphere gets EmuNAND support that will be an option too.

Alternatively, you can continually make and restore "clean" NAND backups to avoid bans. It's what I do, and so far it's worked great for me, but it does mean I have to wait at least an hour before switching between using homebrew and playing online. Luckily I don't play very often, so it's not a very big deal to me. I get much more enjoyment out of using CFW and homebrew than I do from online play.

12. blahblah

May 16, 2018
    United States
    Freeshop will get you banned near instantly. Don't do that.

13. fiis

fiis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2015
    United States
    Oh haha, I don't really play online, not looking into it either. We legit use it on holidays for drunk games with the fam. We're all adults now so this is a way to relive our childhood days. It's just a pain to install games. Turn off, remove card, PC then move games to sd card, then do that boot thing with the jig. The 3ds had it golden in terms of ease haha. It is what it is.

14. blahblah

May 16, 2018
    United States
    You will be banned from downloading games at all. When Nintendo bans you, you cannot access their CDN. Even from Freshop. There will never be anything like Freeshop on the Switch. You will never be able to safely download straight from Nintendo.

15. fiis

fiis GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2015
    United States
    alright haha, the long way it is then. just in case.

16. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    I read it like a good prayer !

Pip'

17. HtheB

HtheB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 15, 2006
    Netherlands
    Bize Her Yer Trabzon
    I haven't seen anyone getting banned using emunand for cfw while not touching the sysnand at all. So that might be the solution for you

18. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    If you use AutoRCM, you'll no longer need to use a jig. Also, you can install games over a usb-c cable instead, which I find is MUCH faster than having to move the sd card, copy the game over, then install it...

You can also set up an FTP server on your PC and use it with Tinfoil. If you have a big collection of NSPs saved on your PC, it can kind of feel similar to using freeshop.

19. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    You in luck there is a way. Two Nintendo switch consoles!
    One for all your hax/nsp/xci games and CFW, and one with legit games and online.
    Simple when you think about it.

ELY_M likes this.
  20. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    This is really the only solution, isn't it?

It's unfortunate. It would be nice if Nintendo would just ban you from online usage, but allow you to continue to make purchases. After all, it's more money for them!

The big AAA developers are always going to get their money, but I'd like to be able to support the small indie developers without getting banned. I can buy their games for PC if they're available, but that's it.