Hacking is there a way to boot Wiiware directly from SD card?

priapism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have three emulators running smoothly from my HomeBrew Channel and i love the fact that none of them take up any of the Wii's storage space. i was wondering if there is a way to boot Wiiware directly from the SD card. installing these games takes up a ridiculous amount of storage.

Hellfromabove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think once the external drive support gets a little better on its way then we'll see a VC/ Wad Loader. I've been thinking of this for a couple months now. Hopefully we see one.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wad manager makes it soo easy to add/remove files that extra space isn't really necissary as of right now, and with added USB support from yesterday, the fact you can store hundreds of gigs of VC releases on a portable hdd and keep it attached to the wii, just means it's even easier. How many games are you going to play at one sitting anyways, and you don;t even need to remove the sd card/hdd to put new games on vc anymore so it only takes a few minutes to swap out your whole collection with little to no effort.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
An SD card WAD/VC loader would work. But from installing my VC games tonight over USB, I think USB1.1 is just too slow for WAD or VC loading. I took me 5 minutes just to install EarthBound over USB1.1.

Still, direct loading off SD card would be very useful.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jinxvorheeze said:
The wad manager makes it soo easy to add/remove files that extra space isn't really necissary as of right now, and with added USB support from yesterday, the fact you can store hundreds of gigs of VC releases on a portable hdd and keep it attached to the wii, just means it's even easier. How many games are you going to play at one sitting anyways, and you don;t even need to remove the sd card/hdd to put new games on vc anymore so it only takes a few minutes to swap out your whole collection with little to no effort.

hmm, where can you download the USB support from? an, have ya tested it, or has anyone who's reading this comment?

i read somewhere on the forum yesterday that a program (like genplus for example) would need to have the USB support code in it or something so that i can read the roms on the external HD.

if that is the case then how long would it take for each of the app creators to implement it into their homebrew?

i'm sure they'd manage it quickly coz its like, a huge breakthrough lol

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
mikeyt1998 said:
hmm, where can you download the USB support from? an, have ya tested it, or has anyone who's reading this comment?

i read somewhere on the forum yesterday that a program (like genplus for example) would need to have the USB support code in it or something so that i can read the roms on the external HD.

if that is the case then how long would it take for each of the app creators to implement it into their homebrew?

i'm sure they'd manage it quickly coz its like, a huge breakthrough lol

I tried the new Wad Manager with my external 120gig HD and it worked fine. I put about 900meg of wads on the drive and they all showed up. I installed and uninstalled a few wads and everything went smoothly.

USB support may be part of the new LIBOGC, if not, then I know spve is the person behind the code, so his code needs to be compiled into each programs source. Adding USB support to LIBOGC would be the best idea as you'll find that most homebrew is probably compiled off that.

It shouldn't be too hard to add support for USB for most homebrew, so I'd expect to see it added to a lot of them fairly soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I hate these DIY furniture kits so bad