is there a way to boot Wiiware directly from SD card?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by priapism, Jun 5, 2008.

1. priapism
    OP

Member priapism GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i have three emulators running smoothly from my HomeBrew Channel and i love the fact that none of them take up any of the Wii's storage space. i was wondering if there is a way to boot Wiiware directly from the SD card. installing these games takes up a ridiculous amount of storage.

2. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
  3. Xeronage

Member Xeronage GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Not yet. But it's a work in progress I think =D

4. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    where did you hear that

5. Jackreyes

Jackreyes Newbie

6. Hellfromabove

Newcomer Hellfromabove Advanced Member

United States
    I think once the external drive support gets a little better on its way then we'll see a VC/ Wad Loader. I've been thinking of this for a couple months now. Hopefully we see one.

7. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The wad manager makes it soo easy to add/remove files that extra space isn't really necissary as of right now, and with added USB support from yesterday, the fact you can store hundreds of gigs of VC releases on a portable hdd and keep it attached to the wii, just means it's even easier. How many games are you going to play at one sitting anyways, and you don;t even need to remove the sd card/hdd to put new games on vc anymore so it only takes a few minutes to swap out your whole collection with little to no effort.

8. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    An SD card WAD/VC loader would work. But from installing my VC games tonight over USB, I think USB1.1 is just too slow for WAD or VC loading. I took me 5 minutes just to install EarthBound over USB1.1.

Still, direct loading off SD card would be very useful.

9. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    hmm, where can you download the USB support from? an, have ya tested it, or has anyone who's reading this comment?

i read somewhere on the forum yesterday that a program (like genplus for example) would need to have the USB support code in it or something so that i can read the roms on the external HD.

if that is the case then how long would it take for each of the app creators to implement it into their homebrew?

i'm sure they'd manage it quickly coz its like, a huge breakthrough lol

10. Slade.AU

Member Slade.AU GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I tried the new Wad Manager with my external 120gig HD and it worked fine. I put about 900meg of wads on the drive and they all showed up. I installed and uninstalled a few wads and everything went smoothly.

USB support may be part of the new LIBOGC, if not, then I know spve is the person behind the code, so his code needs to be compiled into each programs source. Adding USB support to LIBOGC would be the best idea as you'll find that most homebrew is probably compiled off that.

It shouldn't be too hard to add support for USB for most homebrew, so I'd expect to see it added to a lot of them fairly soon.