Is there a way to backup a ds cartridge without wifi.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by kjb1686, Jul 12, 2010.

1. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The only reason i wish to do this is because i live in a area where there is no high speed internet and i have to use dial up.[​IMG] So i was wondering if there was a hardware that does the same.

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    IIRC there was a device called 'NDS Adaptor' that allowed you to plug in a retail DS games cartridge & it'll back up the 'sav' position on the game, but IDK if such a device exists that'll backup the WHOLE game in this manner

& although I've never tried (since I don't have Wifi) but I think there is a way using Wifi between the DS & your computer - meaning all you'll need is a WiFi adaptor plugged into your PC.

EDIT: A quick google search & I've found this article

3. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if you have an ez flash 3 in 1 you can backup that way (though, as far as I know, that does not support the 3in1plus)

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    If your talking about dumping your own roms, yes you can do it. there are several versions of the NDS backuptool: ftp, wifi, 3in1, and slot2.

In your case the you want to use the NDS backup tool 3in1 version. There is also a moded version of the 3in1 backup tool so you can use the 3in1+.

It will also dump your saves if you want that too. The only save it can't dump are the Pokemon HG/SS. For those you will need the NDS Adaptor plus like CannonFoddr said.

Unmoded 3in1 backup tool:
    http://filetrip.net/f2486-NDS-Backup-Tool-3in1-0-31.html

Modded 3in1 backup tool:
    http://filetrip.net/f9407-NDS-Backup-Tool-3in1-0-31a.html

5. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Instead of creating a new topic I thought I'd just post here. I also don't have access to WiFi at the moment and need to use my 3in1+ to dump a game. However when I run that patched version, I get an error that says "3in1 not recognized". I'm running an AK2.1 with AKAIO 1.7. Does anyone know why it's not working?

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Copy the ak2_sd.dldi from the official firmware in the __ak2 to your __aio folder on your MicroSD, overwriting the AKAIO ak2_sd.dldi.

This fixes the majority of issues of running any homebrew app on AKAIO. Make sure the backup tool is in the root directory of your microSD. Also make the folders you will need: NDS_Backup.

7. UniqueGeek

Member UniqueGeek PMD Researcher

United States
    The backup tool does not need to be at the root, only the ini that comes with it. If the folder doesn't exist, it automatically creates it.

8. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
  9. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    That kinda depends on if they plan to trade the game in at a later date or not.

@UniqueGeek
    Are you a mind reader of the OP has a AK as well? It is not written anywhere in the first post. Not all flashcarts will make the folders you need.

10. Hakoda

United States
    I already have copied the ak2_sd.dldi from the official firmware for compatibility with GBAExploader. Backup tool is in the root as well as the *.ini; both are the same name. NDS_Backup folder was created by myself. Still does not detect my 3in1.

11. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Check what version of the 3in1 you got first. If you have a blue board, it is a 3in1+, you will need the modded version. Otherwise use the other one.

12. Hakoda

United States
    I apparently have a 3in1, not a 3in1+. I assumed it was a plus just because I bought it recently but when I tried the unmodded version, it ran just fine. Thanks for the help [​IMG]

13. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    If you bought it from RHS, they sell the 2 versions as seperate items. Problem is some people buy the older one because it is cheaper and think they are getting the 3in1+, even though it is listed as not one.

The upside to using the an older version is you don't have to use any of the modded versions to work. Means you should have access to the rumble and ram modes if you use gba exploader 0.58b.

14. Rascal

Member Rascal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The best/fastest way I've come across to dump my own ROMs is a DS Lite, SuperCard Lite, and WoodDumper Slot 2 r27. So far, it hasn't failed me on any retail carts and takes only a few minutes, even for the biggest ROMs.

15. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I have a couple questions about the wood dumper. Would it run on all slot 2 cards and if i could have a download link that would be appreciated also. Also do you have a place to buy supercard lite or any other slot 2 cards.

16. Rascal

Member Rascal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Search WoodDumper on GBATemp, there should be a download link. Wood dumper slot2 works with any slot2 device, you just need to patch it with the appropriate DLDI.

SuperCard Lite is available from RealHotStuff and I haven't seen it anywhere else. For full disclosure, they only have them in Pink.

17. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    One more thing besides the supecard lite is there another slot 2 flashcard that is available for around 20 to 30 dollars. Also where would i buy such card from. On top of all this is there a tutorial on how to use WoodDumper.