GCN Is there a way to Back Up a GC Memory Card?

BigX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there,

some time ago, I put two memory cards in my gamecube (to back up some save files to the bigger one) and to my shock my Cube informed me, the Card in slot ... needs to be formated.
Well that's the card with most of my save states on it (the one I wanted to back up to)
cry.gif

I put that card aside, wrote to the manufacturer, tried blowing in it, using it in different GCs (and in my release Wii too, which was released in Europe in between) nothing helped yet. So you see...this bugged me quite some time.

Now I often thought, I would be nice to read out the memory from the card. I learned there are ways to make a SD Card connector for GC memory cards. I wonder if there is a way the other way round?

So did anybody try to connect a GC-Memory Card to you PC or something else than a GC/Wii?
I plan to build an adapter that allows me just that.

Any hints on, what I should be aware of?

thank you and kind regards
Jan

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To my knowledge the reverse has not been done (I dare say though I am not too clued up in that area) but have you tried GC linux/GCOS? it has its own read stuff which may work where this has failed.

Also I assume this is nothing as simple as dirty pins (blowing will not help but cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a cotton bud or even a pencil rubber/eraser may do the trick).

BigX

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I remember there was some way to back up from the MC port with linux, but I did not find anything related on the web.
Do you have a clue as to where I might look?
I have few hopes, cleaning with alcohol would help, but I gonna give it a try anyway.
Well at least I could post a report after I tried soldering an adapter...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs