Is there a way to active unactivated gift cards?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question popped into my head last night. How exaclty does the activation process work. Wouldnt it theoredically be possible if you got your hands on a cash register and cards? Not saying i want to do this im just curious.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
They’re activated when they’re scanned through the tills, so any stolen cards will be useless until then.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The question popped into my head last night. How exaclty does the activation process work. Wouldnt it theoredically be possible if you got your hands on a cash register and cards? Not saying i want to do this im just curious.
I would imagine there is some sort of authentication involved so only approved stores can activate the cards. Otherwise, it would get hacked.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here in the Netherlands, whenever you scan a card the register makes contact with a server from the company which distributes those cards. After having paid it green lights the activation and it's activated.

Fast card it is called iirc.

Reactions: migles

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here in the Netherlands, whenever you scan a card the register makes contact with a server from the company which distributes those cards. After having paid it green lights the activation and it's activated.

idk i saw a video by Jstew when toys r us closed down they found a bunch of inactive gift cards.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

That's basically the same here in the US.
Without scanning it through the register, there's no means of activating the cards.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know this sounds weird but can you get the PIN for a bank card without asking the owner?
I totally didn't rob someone, just curious.
Maybe: at least my bank offers the ability to look it up online, which implies they keep a database and/or are deterministically generated

so if someone stole the register you could get it to work
Why steal if you could have an accomplice activate them for you or allow you to remote in?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
so if someone stole the register you could get it to work

I'm pretty sure that the company would be able to remotely disable the register. Plus they probably require you to log in before you can scan anyway.

You're probably much better off just stealing stock than the cash register!

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Well, bud, that's how it generally works everywhere.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I swallowed macaroni & cheese for dinner. :P +1