Is there a way I can extract SHIFT-JIS encoded ZIP files without changing my locale to Japan?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Tomato Hentai, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Tomato Hentai
    OP

Tomato Hentai nut neutrality

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Alberta
    I'm unable to correctly extract the contents of SHIFT-JIS encoded ZIP files without the file and folder names being read as if they were encoded in UTF-8 and becoming corrupted, which is kinda a pain in the ass since what I'm extracting requires that the files be named correctly, and to go and rename them all to what they're supposed to be would take a horrendously long time.
    The only methods I've found thus far have been for Ubuntu, which really doesn't help considering the computer I'm using is running on Windows 8.1.

Last edited by Tomato Hentai, Feb 19, 2016
  2. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    しかたがない I think I remember having this problem but in the end I just gave up. My condolences.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  3. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    If you don't end up finding a solution, and you have permission to install software on your computer, you could always install a virtual machine with Ubuntu in it (using VirtualBox or perhaps QEMU) and use that. Most VMs offer shared folders or networking, so getting files in and out of the VM shouldn't be difficult.

Tomato Hentai likes this.