Android Is there a way/app/anything that lets you disguise your device?

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the deal, I'm getting an unlocked Android phone pretty soon, and I'm intending to just put in my non-smartphone T-Mobile sim-card into it. I have no interest in 3G or texting, and my T-Mobile plan doesn't even have a Data portion.
From checking around, I know that if I put my sim-card into the unlocked smartphone, I will be able to make calls. That is, until T-Mobile catches onto the fact I'm using a smartphone with no data plan. When that happens, they'll likely notify me they're upping my bill by $30/month.

I want to avoid that risk altogether. I do not know a lot about Android still, but is there some way via rooting, then some application that can disguise the Android smartphone so it appears as a non-smartphone to my carrier? That way, I won't ever have to worry about them discovering it's a smartphone.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Here's the deal, I'm getting an unlocked Android phone pretty soon, and I'm intending to just put in my non-smartphone T-Mobile sim-card into it. I have no interest in 3G or texting, and my T-Mobile plan doesn't even have a Data portion.
From checking around, I know that if I put my sim-card into the unlocked smartphone, I will be able to make calls. That is, until T-Mobile catches onto the fact I'm using a smartphone with no data plan. When that happens, they'll likely notify me they're upping my bill by $30/month.

I want to avoid that risk altogether. I do not know a lot about Android still, but is there some way via rooting, then some application that can disguise the Android smartphone so it appears as a non-smartphone to my carrier? That way, I won't ever have to worry about them discovering it's a smartphone.

Probably... But you'll need a 3G disabler which thankfully exists!
I do think there is a spoofing application to fake your device's ID and Serial... But I'm not sure it will apply to T-Mobile. :/

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does T-Mobile automatically change your plan? I know AT&T will sometimes message you about how you need a data plan when using a smartphone but I've never had them change the plan without consent.

Alternatively, if you're someone like me who doesn't use voice much, T-Mobile has a $30 prepaid plan for 100 minutes of voice and unlimited text/data (only 5GB of 4G data) per month.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think T-Mobile would be able to see your phone as a smartphone. If it's an unlocked AT&T phone, and you put your T-Mobile SIM card in it to use, I don't think T-Mobile would know what kind of phone it is. It'll probably come out in their database as "unknown" or something like that. They can't just change your plan because of that, since they don't know what phone you have. If you do get an unlocked phone, make sure that unlocked phone isn't supported by T-Mobile, otherwise there would be no point having it unlocked in the first place.

Another note: Make sure your unlocked phone supports GSM. I didn't know phone terminologies back then, so I accidentally bought a CDMA-only phone on eBay, but luckily my seller was very benevolent and he/she canceled my transaction. GSM is for SIM cards, while CDMA is for carriers like Verizon and US Cellular.

I own an international Samsung Galaxy Ace, and it is unlocked. I have been using it for about a year without 3G/Data, and my plan hasn't been changed at all. I use T-mobile SIM card.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='jonthedit']

But you'll need a 3G disabler which thankfully exists!
I've heard that Avast! for Android has a thingie in it to prevent all transmissions (selectable which ones) via bluetooth, 3G, wifi, etc. If I just get Avast! and disable all 3G connections on it like that before putting my sim card in, would that work?

@[member='Kiaku']

make sure that unlocked phone isn't supported by T-Mobile, otherwise there would be no point having it unlocked in the first place.
Xperia PLAY, T-Mobile directly says on their site it's not supported.

Make sure your unlocked phone supports GSM.
The only version of the Xperia PLAY that doesn't support GSM is the R800X series, which also do not have a sim card slot. Needless to say, I'm avoiding those.

I have been using it for about a year without 3G/Data, and my plan hasn't been changed at all. I use T-mobile SIM card.
That's very good to know

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak for the Xperia Play since mine won't be here until tomorrow or Tuesday, but for a lot of phones you won't need any special apps like Avast (though there's nothing wrong with doing it that way) - you should just be able to go into the settings and turn off mobile data. I don't think any apps can or will turn it back on without at least a prompt, though I could be wrong. My little brother's had my old HTC Aria for a week and doesn't have a data plan, and he hasn't managed to turn on data and incur charges.

Xuphor

OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't speak for the Xperia Play since mine won't be here until tomorrow or Tuesday, but for a lot of phones you won't need any special apps like Avast (though there's nothing wrong with doing it that way) - you should just be able to go into the settings and turn off mobile data. I don't think any apps can or will turn it back on without at least a prompt, though I could be wrong. My little brother's had my old HTC Aria for a week and doesn't have a data plan, and he hasn't managed to turn on data and incur charges.

Turning off "mobile data" won't prevent Wifi too? I will want to get on that in my house, and other places with wifi hotspots.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.