Is there a streamlined way of using multiple Luma versions?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by spongeabc5, Apr 28, 2017.

1. spongeabc5
    OP

spongeabc5 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    I use the trbo-code branch to dump badges, but it hasn't updated to Luma v7. Is there a way I could keep both versions on my SD and possibly chainload them like with decrypt9 without creating an emuNand?

2. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    -snip- i was wrong.

Last edited by McWhiters9511, Apr 28, 2017
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Sure you can put another CFW (for a very liberal definiton of "another" - could even be the same version) as an alternate payload of the first!

However, you'll likely want to recompile one of the two Lumas to use a different path from /luma/ for its work folder, so that you can have separate configurations - that you will need due to one not needing the custom path option and the other doing!

Quantumcat and Zidapi like this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    You don't need to create an emuNAND to use multiple CFWs. 3DS CFWs do not actually effect the NAND and you can run multiple CFWs at the same time. I know because I am running 5 of them right now, all on one sysNAND.
    To run multiple versions of Luma3DS, you would have to compile each version with a different path. So like @Ryccardo said, you would have to compile the launcher to work from another folder instead of the /luma

5. spongeabc5
    OP

spongeabc5 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Assuming I'm following the Compiling instructions for trbocode's repo, what else do I do to change the path? Am I changing references in the files or something else?

6. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    It might be simpler to just open one payload in a hex editor and replace /luma with something else, like /lum2 or something.

Quantumcat and Zidapi like this.
  7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Search for mentions of "luma" using grep:
    grep -R luma .
    while in the root of the repo you downloaded, and take clues from search results :3

8. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    What's different about turbocode's fork? This is the first time I've heard of it.

Last edited by Zidapi, Apr 30, 2017
  9. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    It adds a different font to the Luma3DS settings.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Apr 29, 2017
    Zidapi likes this.
  10. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    lol that's all? I don't spend enough time at the settings screen to hate the existing font. I certainly couldn't justify using an old/outdated build of luma for the sake of a "prettier" one.

The only time I visit the config screen is to disable L2 cache so I can boot the homebrew launcher, which is very rarely these days.

You're helpful as always, thanks for the info.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Yeah, sometimes there's useful forks, other times it's still stuff like this.

12. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    You can use CtrBootManager as arm9loaderhax.bin and rename all the luma binaries to something else. Then, set up multiple boot entries in CBM's a9lh.cfg file one for each luma launch. Finally, to separate their activity, you'll need a hex editor. Use it to open the luma binaries and search and replace every entry of "config.bin" and "path.txt" so that they are all unique. Keep the same length on the newly renamed entries. Now create those path.txt files in the /luma folder and in each of them you need to have a path pointing back to the luma .bin it's going to be running with.

13. Kibido

Kibido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 3, 2014
    Italy
    Laughed my ass off.

Zidapi likes this.
  14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It looks like the trbocode branch has been updated for 7.0 now. https://github.com/trbocode/Luma3DS/pull/16

Edit: Actually it was updated to 7.0.1 a while ago: https://github.com/trbocode/Luma3DS/pull/15

Zidapi likes this.
  15. spongeabc5
    OP

spongeabc5 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    Now listen here you-
    As far as I know, the font swapping is a newer feature, I use it because (as far as I know) it's the most up-to date fork that has the crypto-patches necessary to use SciresM's badge arcade tool.
    Thanks for this, I guess I don't need to get grep for this!

Last edited by spongeabc5, Apr 30, 2017