Homebrew Is there a snes emulator that actually runs fine?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I was wondering, why would it be that my I don't know how many years old psp runs snes extremely well even with filters, and my N3ds is so slow. I tried retroarch snes9x and it runs simple game fine like Mario world, but secret of mana for example lags quite a bit at 30 to 35fps. I can't seem to find any setting to increase the CPU speed (as n3ds has more power than o3ds). Figured that might be because retroarch isn't exactly built for 3ds exclusively.

Does blargsnes run better? Can it actually take advantage of the n3ds' higher clock speed? Or is it just the way it is, that snes emulators can't run everything fine on 3ds? Thanks!

NoNoNeko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there,

I was wondering, why would it be that my I don't know how many years old psp runs snes extremely well even with filters, and my N3ds is so slow. I tried retroarch snes9x and it runs simple game fine like Mario world, but secret of mana for example lags quite a bit at 30 to 35fps. I can't seem to find any setting to increase the CPU speed (as n3ds has more power than o3ds). Figured that might be because retroarch isn't exactly built for 3ds exclusively.

Does blargsnes run better? Can it actually take advantage of the n3ds' higher clock speed? Or is it just the way it is, that snes emulators can't run everything fine on 3ds? Thanks!

Blargsnes is amazing, and afaik runs everything at full speed or playable speeds. Especially with a N3DS; but the downside to it is that is has a lower compatibility list.

And horrible sound emulation xD

Last edited by NoNoNeko,

soetem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pocketsnes runs super Mario rpg. For me that's about the only snes game I've ever been dying to emulate on a handheld.

KalasGiacomo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Pocketsnes runs super Mario rpg. For me that's about the only snes game I've ever been dying to emulate on a handheld.
Is that true? i always check here to see the new apps, but it's not there (guess it's no longer updated). I´ve been waiting for some emulator that could run mario rpg with playable fps, so i must check this xD.

soetem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that true? i always check here to see the new apps, but it's not there (guess it's no longer updated). I´ve been waiting for some emulator that could run mario rpg with playable fps, so i must check this xD.
Yup totally true :) I'm using a new 3ds don't know if that matters. I haven't noticed any slowdown or anything

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Running fine means full-speed and sound for me. I tried some games with catsfc and they all run fine, except for the ones that don't run at all because of missing superfx.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Where do u even find that? I've been looking around but I haven't seen anything (super mario rpg is one of the few snes games I actually wanna play on my 3ds so)

edit: ahh missed it in the retroarch cia folder lol, also yay super mario rpg on 3ds ^.^

Last edited by marksteele,
Reactions: soetem

KalasGiacomo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Yup totally true :) I'm using a new 3ds don't know if that matters. I haven't noticed any slowdown or anything
May i have a link to download a 3ds pocketsnes version?, i took a look but i just found some PC ones.

EDIT: NVM, i just saw that it´s core is with all the retroarch ones.

Last edited by KalasGiacomo,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New 3DS? CatSFC is the Retroarch core you want. No sound errors, and no FPS dips. Doesn't emulate Super FX chips though.
Just wanted to let you know, just installed latest nightlies and CatSFC also runs super Mario rpg at full speed. Pocketsnes also does. I think that's just personal choice now which to use. All games I tried run at full speed on both.

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Just wanted to let you know, just installed latest nightlies and CatSFC also runs super Mario rpg at full speed. Pocketsnes also does. I think that's just personal choice now which to use. All games I tried run at full speed on both.

Ok. But Yoshi's Island isn't running fullspeed in catsfc, I guess?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi