Homebrew Is there a reason not to softmod my DSi XL?

anton123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, for the longest time, I have a DSi XL on 1.4.2 with a flashcart to run my emulators on and I haven't dabbled on HiyaCFW and other stuff in the https://dsi.cfw.guide/. So far, I'm doing fine but the sucky flashcart means that I'm limited as far as emulators that I can run. I've intentionally steered clear from all the CFW stuff out of fear that I could brick my system but I'm wondering if it's safe now to do this. I do have Flip note studio for what its worth but my flashcart doesn't run on the latest firmware, so if I screw up, then I'd be out of luck completely. I'm thinking though that the hacking scene has developed really nicely and now, I'm wondering if there's a reason for me to stay on 1.4.2U or to pull the trigger now with the CFW. Any thoughts?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, for the longest time, I have a DSi XL on 1.4.2 with a flashcart to run my emulators on and I haven't dabbled on HiyaCFW and other stuff in the https://dsi.cfw.guide/. So far, I'm doing fine but the sucky flashcart means that I'm limited as far as emulators that I can run. I've intentionally steered clear from all the CFW stuff out of fear that I could brick my system but I'm wondering if it's safe now to do this. I do have Flip note studio for what its worth but my flashcart doesn't run on the latest firmware, so if I screw up, then I'd be out of luck completely. I'm thinking though that the hacking scene has developed really nicely and now, I'm wondering if there's a reason for me to stay on 1.4.2U or to pull the trigger now with the CFW. Any thoughts?
Cfw does not force u into updating the system

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is little to no reason not to install CFW on a DSi.
  • There is a test version of the new Memory Pit exploit that should work on lower firmware.
  • You have Flinote Studio: The Flipnote exploit does not depend on old/new firmware.
  • Once unlauch is installed, the whitelist checks are disabled so higher firmware is not a problem for older flashcarts.
Some people do not like the changes unlaunch applies to the System Menu ("Launcher"): No music/sounds, no Health and Safety warning screen. This was the reason for some to uninstall everything right after installation.

Booting into SDNAND (HiyaCFW) brings the music/sounds back and TWiLight Menu++ can be customized as you like. The only real downside I personally found after installing CFW on my DSi is the time it takes from "Power on" → "TWiLight Menu++ loaded"

By following dsi.cfw.guide you do not lose any functionality. Your flashcart can be used like before.

Have fun and good luck.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

anton123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Since the dsi guide has been updated with Memory Pit, documentation on the Flip note exploit seems to have vanished but it's good that there's Memory Pit for lower firmware versions. I don't see the lack of music to be a problem so everything looks good, it seems.

Edit:
By the way, will I lose DS Download Play?

Last edited by anton123,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I see. Since the dsi guide has been updated with Memory Pit, documentation on the Flip note exploit seems to have vanished but it's good that there's Memory Pit for lower firmware versions. I don't see the lack of music to be a problem so everything looks good, it seems.
It is still there - but Memory Pit is easier and faster.
https://dsi.cfw.guide/installing-unlaunch-legacy

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: anton123

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks! Do you know if DS Download Play is still working on the CFW?
Grrr. That took a while. So slow.
Download Play works for me in both directions.
  • Legit Mario Kart DS inside a DS-phat →DSi (HiyaCFW) downloads the game →WORKS
  • Legit Mario Kart DS inside DSi (HiyaCFW) → offers the game to DS-phat →WORKS

alivebacon

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't get DSiWare legit anymore so it's a good idea to softmod. Bricking a DSi is very hard unless you try. You should always update as Memory Pit is better than flipnote lenny (it's universal and takes less time to trigger)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Edit:
By the way, will I lose DS Download Play?
No. Why do you ask?

anton123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do use DS Download Play with other DSes and 3DSes from my relatives. If there's a new CFW, then, maybe I'll lose the app or something.

NovaXoXO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to my knowlege, flash carts do not have DSi access as all programs are run in NDS mode. Softmodding will open that functionality and provide DSi access as now your titles can be run straight from the SD card ( which also opens up the opportunity for installing dsiware or homebrew straight to your homecreen )

I use both flash cart and SD so that way i can have a virtually unlimited amount of titles on my DsiXL.

Good Luck

Reactions: Tarmfot

anton123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to my knowlege, flash carts do not have DSi access as all programs are run in NDS mode. Softmodding will open that functionality and provide DSi access as now your titles can be run straight from the SD card ( which also opens up the opportunity for installing dsiware or homebrew straight to your homecreen )

I use both flash cart and SD so that way i can have a virtually unlimited amount of titles on my DsiXL.

Good Luck
Thanks for sharing. I've managed to install unlaunch and HiyaCFW a couple of hours ago. So I've pulled the trigger. :)

Not everything seems to be going according to plan though. TWiLight Menu's GBARunner doesn't seem to work. :(

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for sharing. I've managed to install unlaunch and HiyaCFW a couple of hours ago. So I've pulled the trigger. :)

Not everything seems to be going according to plan though. TWiLight Menu's GBARunner doesn't seem to work. :(
I have never tried GBARunner2 because of the problems with SD corruption, no so good compatibility and the need of SRAM patching most ROMs. But there has been a lot of improvement lately. I really have to look into that.

Make sure you have the original gba bios (md5sum a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6) renamed as bios.bin in the root of your SD.

Try a different SD and/or different cluster size (backup data, reformat, restore data).

@alexander1970 has been pretty involved in testing GBARunner lately. So i try summoning him.

anton123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never tried GBARunner2 because of the problems with SD corruption, no so good compatibility and the need of SRAM patching most ROMs. But there has been a lot of improvement lately. I really have to look into that.

Make sure you have the original gba bios (md5sum a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6) renamed as bios.bin in the root of your SD.

Try a different SD and/or different cluster size (backup data, reformat, restore data).

@alexander1970 has been pretty involved in testing GBARunner lately. So i try summoning him.

I'll double check those. I also tried Mario Kart rom just as a test and it complains that nds-bootstrap is not found (Start failed. Error 1). Seems like some files are missing. :(

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Hello.:)

Sadly i don´t have an SD Card bigger than 16 GB for testing.You have to format with FAT32 and use the option "STANDARD CLUSTER SIZE" in Windows.

But as @KleinesSinchen perfectly explained for formatting greater than 32 GB SD Cards (i´ve read you have an 64GB):
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gbarunner2.451970/page-73#post-8668905

Please try this.
Thank you.:)

Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse