Hacking Is there a public DNS server to block fw updates?

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like the one(s) for 3DS?
This would make life a lot easier if possible, as my router doesn't have the necessary functions.
If not, please can someone confirm the list of addresses to block in order to stop firmware updates, but keep access to PSN store downloads etc if that's possible? I'm in UK if it makes a difference.
Cheers!

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, use the blocker v2 payload once and it messes up the update process permanently.

If we ever need to move to a higher firmware we can use ftp to delete the folder it creates.

Reactions: KiiWii

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks, but I don't have homebrew for now, I'm on current firmware - want to avoid 5.5
Simply deactivate auto download/update in the settings. That´s the only option you have on current FW 5.05 to avoid a FW update.

icon_settings.png
(Settings) > [System] > [Automatic Downloads]

Last edited by Muxi,
Reactions: KiiWii

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
on PS4, disabling the auto download is not always working. (PS3 correctly respected the user choice, but not PS4)
you can always delete the currently downloading update from your notify list if it starts downloading.

To be extra cautious, on PS3 I even used a proxy to enable online access only when needed. you can always try using a proxy too (CCProxy, or any PS3/PS4 proxy filtering tools) to entirely block network when the proxy is not running.
if you want to block only the updates, I'm sorry I don't remember the used URLs.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: peteruk

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys. Yeah I've got auto updating turned off in the system update settings, but I've got networking in rest mode turned on as I use it by remote play, and it's still been updating the firmware every time.

I guess I'll try and run DNS on my raspberry pi, I don't have another computer on all the time. If anyone else knows more about which addresses to block and which not, please let me know.

If someone who has a server anyway does feel like running a public DNS server with the relevant blocking, it'd be a nice service for the community, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find it useful.

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Online there are lists of TLD you can blacklist if you have a DNS server or proxy, finding which to whitelist to access PSN is open to you, for example:

Code:
a01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net
playstation.sony.akadns.net
fau01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fcn01.ps4.update.playstation.net
feu01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fjp01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fkr01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fmx01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fru01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fsa01.ps4.update.playstation.net
ftw01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fuk01.ps4.update.playstation.net
fus01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hau01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hcn01.ps4.update.playstation.net
heu01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hjp01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hkr01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hmx01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hru01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hsa01.ps4.update.playstation.net
htw01.ps4.update.playstation.net
huk01.ps4.update.playstation.net
hus01.ps4.update.playstation.net

If you have a RPi with a standard Linux distribution, use dnsmasq, is IMO the easiest to configure and it's probably already installed, you only need to add an entry like

Code:
address=/a01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net/0.0.0.0

and that TLD would became unreachable...

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, good tips!

If you have a RPi with a standard Linux distribution, use dnsmasq, is IMO the easiest to configure and it's probably already installed, you only need to add an entry like

Code:
address=/a01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net/0.0.0.0

and that TLD would became unreachable...
I'm using a media player distribution rather than a standard one, but so far I've found it easy enough to install any missing services, so this shouldn't be a problem, thanks!

MostlyUnharmful

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've found that list above on the psdevwiki but can't find the page at the moment. If your console has already downloaded the firmware, IIRC the only option to remove it is a re-initialization (aka wiping the disk).

Reactions: hippy dave

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just as an update in case anyone's interested, I blocked the above list of domains (plus a wildcard on subdomains of
ps4.update.playstation.net just to be extra cautious), and am successfully getting an error while checking for system updates, while remote play still works normally. It also loaded a webpage normally when I chose the thing to check the status of sony network services, but PSN/PS+/general software download stuff is broken. I might look into it further but at least I'm safe from auto updates for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards