Is there a problem with snes9x or fceugx for wii with an lcd?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by k4ever, Apr 23, 2010.

1. k4ever
    OP

Member k4ever GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Im going to buy an lcd pretty soon enough to watch movies in hd, and also to use with my ps3. Im aware that there may be a problem when connecting my wii to it. The wii max resolution is 480p, but I guess there wont be any trouble if I just turn the settings in my lcd to 480p for a particular port ( component 1 for example ). The problem may happen when I could try to play a snes or nes game by using fceugx or snes9x emulators. I know there are official nes and snes emulators on the wii, but the problem is that they only use virtual console titles, and not the actual roms one can download on the internet ( plus they dont have that many games ).
    Someone know about this? How can I get around the problem (if theres one to begin with)?
    Also, should I be concerned about getting a 60hz or 120hz lcd when using my wii with it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    You'll have no problems k4ever, in fact you won't have any problems with your wii full stop (aside from it looking a little blocky on a big lcd, but that's unavoidable, and will hardly ruin your experience) Your TV will do all the work for you really, and on a side note, in my experience, if you don't have a component cable for your Wii yet, don't rush to buy one - imo I think the picture is actually better on my 42" using an RGB....
    As for the old 60 v 120hz argument..... if it's just for your Wii (or PS3 for that matter) then you might as well just go for the cheaper 60hz.... the only real benefit of 120hz is for watching, say, sport on your TV...

3. Skater4599

Member Skater4599 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes get 120hz if you dont want smearing when you play emulators, i know form experience, even with component cables. 120hz will refresh fast enough to keep games playable with no smearing. They work great with fceu snes9x vbagx wii64 and genplusgx emulators i know first hand. The Emulators even play the games in 480P if you use component and they look great

I tried 60HZ TV on emulators both on xbox and wii and got smearing, not really bad but enough to notice/bug me, 120hz TV works a treat. and components make a big difference in clarity/color on your tv, especially when put into 480p mode. At least they did on my TV

4. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    ....so that's 2 completely different opinions for ya there k4ever lol... Gotta say I personally disagree with Skater pretty much across the board there, but maybe it's personal preference/TV size etc....
    Bottom line is you won't have any problems getting fceu/snes9xgx working, and as most new TVs have a 'game mode' (or similar), that eliminates any lag you'd be worried about. I still reckon if the price difference is too much you'll be ok with a 60hz, but if you can afford the 120hz then by all means pick that instead.