Hardware Is there a "new" 3DS (faceplate model) IPS Display Kit?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 2,608
  • Replies 6
D

Deleted User

OP
So I have some pretty good tools and I'm confident in my skillz that I would be able to swap my TN screens out for IPS on my "new" 3DS faceplate model.
However, when searching around, I can only find IPS replacements for XL only and a majority of those are either in poor condition or TN displays.
Does anyone know where I could purchase top and bottom IPS displays for my model 3DS?
I guess being the only 3DS model that was sold in limited quantities in NA doesn't help at all. The washed out colors on my current model are driving me up the wall.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own both. Yes the non-xl. Dual tn and dual ips. I'm using my tn one while the ips one has been in a drawer since I bought it on ebay. IPS one has the scanlines you can google (psp 3000 thing). But they're not really an issue. There's some screen tearing thing going on when playing emulators (not VC) while my tn has no issues. This COULD be fixed in the retroarch settings but I never bothered looking into it. The ips screens are a bit darker but when viewed from a normal angle, the contrast and especially colors look surprisingly similar. I guess images don't do it justice. You'd think the difference was bigger but I'm telling you that for this specific 3ds model, it's not. The XL differences is a different topic, XL tn's look so bad. They must be using a better tn screen for the non XL.

Save your money.

Last edited by isoboy,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
I own both. Yes the non-xl. Dual tn and dual ips. I'm using my tn one while the ips one has been in a drawer since I bought it on ebay. IPS one has the scanlines you can google (psp 3000 thing). But they're not really an issue. There's some screen tearing thing going on when playing emulators (not VC) while my tn has no issues. This COULD be fixed in the retroarch settings but I never bothered looking into it. The ips screens are a bit darker but when viewed from a normal angle, the contrast and especially colors look surprisingly similar. I guess images don't do it justice. You'd think the difference was bigger but I'm telling you that for this specific 3ds model, it's not. The XL differences is a different topic, XL tn's look so bad. They must be using a better tn screen for the non XL.

Save your money.
Thanks for the insightful response! So in your opinion, if I kept this system as-is and picked up a "new" 3DS XL, would it still be worth going out of my way to get the dual-ips version?

Feffe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was also interested in getting an IPS regular n3DS. The biggest reason would be for 2D game - when the character is moving on games like NES Castlevania, Shovel Knight or Super Mario World the screen has weird ghosting. It doesn't happen with all the 2D games - for instance, the various 2D Mario games in Mario All Stars (except as said SMW) are fine.

On the other hand, I also have a modded Switch and I can play the handful of problematic games there and looking for a IPS 3DS might not be worth the effort.

@StarRift do you also have this issue on your NT 3DS? Does the games look better on IPS 3DS?

D

Deleted User

OP
I was also interested in getting an IPS regular n3DS. The biggest reason would be for 2D game - when the character is moving on games like NES Castlevania, Shovel Knight or Super Mario World the screen has weird ghosting. It doesn't happen with all the 2D games - for instance, the various 2D Mario games in Mario All Stars (except as said SMW) are fine.

On the other hand, I also have a modded Switch and I can play the handful of problematic games there and looking for a IPS 3DS might not be worth the effort.

@StarRift do you also have this issue on your NT 3DS? Does the games look better on IPS 3DS?
My main issue is that the colors are fading more and more every year. I don't play it super often but I have pictures of when I got it brand new vs now and can say for sure that it's lost at least 30% of it's color sharpness. Checked settings, etc. Also same camera and light settings. 3D also seems to be more problematic. I'm getting a lot of "ghosting" images whenever I use it every once in a blue moon. Not even worth trying to enjoy that feature anymore. Maybe my TN screens are defective somehow.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My main issue is that the colors are fading more and more every year. I don't play it super often but I have pictures of when I got it brand new vs now and can say for sure that it's lost at least 30% of it's color sharpness. Checked settings, etc. Also same camera and light settings. 3D also seems to be more problematic. I'm getting a lot of "ghosting" images whenever I use it every once in a blue moon. Not even worth trying to enjoy that feature anymore. Maybe my TN screens are defective somehow.

Yeah, this sounds STRANGE. I'd try to replace the battery and if it persist....get a new console. It's true the new 3ds ips screen has less ghosting but not a whole lot different from my tn. If you absolutely want ips you should go for an XL in my opinion. Just did a quick search on ebay and there are a few non xl dual ips ones so you could shell out a bit more for that...be sure the seller really know what they're talking about. I had to return my first which wasn't ips at all. And when I finally got the second one (400usd), it wasn't "MINT" at all but the screen was heavily scratched. I couldn't be bothered returning it and swapped out the glass screen myself.

Last edited by isoboy,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Yeah, this sounds STRANGE. I'd try to replace the battery and if it persist....get a new console. It's true the new 3ds ips screen has less ghosting but not a whole lot different from my tn. If you absolutely want ips you should go for an XL in my opinion. Just did a quick search on ebay and there are a few non xl dual ips ones so you could shell out a bit more for that...be sure the seller really know what they're talking about. I had to return my first which wasn't ips at all. And when I finally got the second one (400usd), it wasn't "MINT" at all but the screen was heavily scratched. I couldn't be bothered returning it and swapped out the glass screen myself.
ngl I have been kinda digging the XL version for awhile now. If it's still easily modded I might pick up one of the new galaxy systems and swap those screens if I can't find a dual IPS version... haha watch me type about how I'm going to buy a new console just to replace the crappy screens...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol