Is there a more "efficient way" to sift through 30,000 songs...

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also, is there away to acquire metadata for songs without manually entering it in?
Yes and no, there are tools that use properties like song length to match a database, but they only work best with unmodified and full-album rips, they rarely produce an exact match (if any) on loose files - Windows Media Player has this feature but it mostly requires part of the metadata to already be there, EasyTag has a "enter album name and select in track list" but it's far from automated...

If you have standardized filenames, plenty of tools (like mp3tag or easytag) that split file and folder names to actual tags

Then there are audio-fingerprinting tools based on the actual sound (like what's used in Shazam) but I haven't heard of any major tools using this technology in the way you want...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Best is a rather subjective term.

"Acquire metadata" is a different matter. There are multiple services that do various things to identify songs, the best tending to be some kind of acoustic fingerprinting feature. I am not sure what the kids are using but my old standby of https://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html supports MusicBrainz which offers such a feature.

If by best songs you are one of those people that likes to have their opinion told to them then I am sure there are ones which will partner up with whatever the song equivalent of IMDB is and use their rating system. If you are willing to be a bit more involved you can probably find a service which offers either a useful million different genres (netflix I am told do something similar for films and TV with thousands of hidden genres/tags) type refinement for things you know you like, or you could go a bit more old fashioned and use the "if you like ? you may like * approach of conventional review sites.

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I thought I was the only one having this problem.

Do as I do... rename all your music by genre or artist or add something that you'll know it makes it one of your favourites.
I have all my music in my "Musec" folder. Each song has the following names: "Artist - Name of Song"
But once I found the problem of not finding my absolute favourite ones, I renamed all my music with the following names: "Genre & Artist - Name of the Song" and some others are named like this: "Languge & Artist - Name of Song"

Having my music by genre and alphabetical order makes it easy to find my favourite songs. To be honest, I'm also very selective.
Captura.PNG

Also... If I have 14.5GB with just 2616 files... how much space does 30000 files is?

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
hm, i do not save up songs, i used to do that.

i tend to get bored of the songs i save up, there are very few songs i do not get bored of ..
so i always have to have some new songs.

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

i tend to get bored of the songs i save up, there are very few songs i do not get bored of ..
Same here. I'm always looking for new stuff and tire quickly of music I've heard 100 times or more.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan

Same here. I'm always looking for new stuff and tire quickly of music I've heard 100 times or more.

That's where the hoarder mentality comes in. ;) I used to listen to 400-700 albums/year in my younger days, only deleted one when I absolutely hated it.

That being said, sounds like these 30000 songs is kind of a bastard collection from various sources. If you haven't organized them yourself and don't know how reliable tags, file- and foldernames are I'd delete it and start over myself.

Reactions: wicksand420

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's where the hoarder mentality comes in. ;) I used to listen to 400-700 albums/year in my younger days, only deleted one when I absolutely hated it.

That being said, sounds like these 30000 songs is kind of a bastard collection from various sources. If you haven't organized them yourself and don't know how reliable tags, file- and foldernames are I'd delete it and start over myself.
I'm very picky about the music I listen to. It has give me a curtain feeling or sound good lyrically and musically. So it's hard to have a 10000 song list when very few appeal to me. Don't know why I'm like that.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That being said, sounds like these 30000 songs is kind of a bastard collection from various sources.
Indeed. My first thought was a massive torrent (or combination of torrents). Aside from listening to them all, I can't think of any way to "efficiently" sift through a massive playlist. Unless the OP is speaking purely objectively, where they want highest bit rate, but I would imagine that would be rather easy to parse.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Delete them all. Download better songs in FLAC or at least any lossless type format. Get a better DAC, AMP, and a good quality headset/speaker for an eargasmic experience. Most of them should be tagged properly.

Gizametalman

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
depends on the quality of the music, codec, how long they are, ect

heres 15000 though

EcAbtoc.png

Heres 10000 songs in FLAC only.
L3jM3G6v.png

:wtf:
Oh my gawd. Look at all that precious space.

Well, be realistic. Do you really need 250+ GB of music?
I'm not trying to criticize you, but try to be more selective.

Quality over Quantity.

Last edited by Gizametalman,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Delete them all. Download better songs in FLAC or at least any lossless type format. Get a better DAC, AMP, and a good quality headset/speaker for an eargasmic experience. Most of them should be tagged properly.
does flac has a good organization or supports tagging like mp3?

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@migles
Yes. They have different tagging. I'm not sure if it's better or worse though.
The major point in collecting music at this age is that if you're archiving or collecting music, might as well collect the high-quality lossless format.
It's just a personal preference really since there are many considerations like how much space are you willing to give for this collection as lossless have bigger file size than mp3. There's also compatibility with some older audio players. And most of all, the quality is definitely better. You should consider it if you're an audiophile or you want to experience music to a whole new level.

@TS
As for tagging, try mp3tag, beets, or musicbrainz picard.
Try it on single folder/album first, not all at once as it might break your current tagged collection.
Or you'll be having a hard time looking for a specific song.
Try what works best for you.

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
i have used the windows medio player for a while, xspceials since the windows 10 with "grooves", but whats point of having the 30 thousands of song? the human ears doesnt have bearl enough ram memories to process all the mp3 in lifetime.... only if you have mozart ear and listen to googd hearphones with .waves

Spectral Blizzard

GBATemp's Only Racist Stereotypical Feminist
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*AHEM*
It's organized(ish) and it is a mix of MP3, WAV, FLAC, OGG, and various ADPCM files from video games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Indeed. My first thought was a massive torrent (or combination of torrents). Aside from listening to them all, I can't think of any way to "efficiently" sift through a massive playlist. Unless the OP is speaking purely objectively, where they want highest bit rate, but I would imagine that would be rather easy to parse.
BTW, It's not torrent. Some people on this forum know I don't pirate.
Yes, I hand ripped them all way back then.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*AHEM*
It's organized(ish) and it is a mix of MP3, WAV, FLAC, OGG, and various ADPCM files from video games.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

BTW, It's not torrent. Some people on this forum know I don't pirate.
Yes, I hand ripped them all way back then.
Regardless of where it came from, you've yet to give us the metric you use to define "best." The song you like the most? Listen to them all. Highest bit rates? Simple players like Winamp allow options to sort by bit rate. Most popular? Write down a list of sources and composers and google "Top X Video Game Songs" videos/blogs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2