Is there a market for broken hdtvs?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Subtle Demise, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    So I went dumpster diving with my fiance and we found a decent vizio tv. The only problem is the screen is slightly cracked and it won't stay on for more than a second. I was thinking of just selling it on eBay, but I don't know how many people will actually buy a broken item for parts. I was also thinking if I could get the thing fixed for less than $ 100, it would make a nice monitor.

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Do they sell? According to ebay, apparently. Do they sell for much? According to ebay, apparently not, unless around $30 is much for yourself.

3. finkmac

finkmac GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2011
    Canada
    Over there
    There's a market for (mostly) everything… Now, it may not be a big market, but it does exist.

4. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Well it was free for me, so even like $15 plus the cost of shipping is fine with me. How much does it cost to get a tv screen repaired anyway?

5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    it depends on whats actually broken
    if its something stupid like a blown capacitor, then less then $1 + labor in fixing it yourself
    but if the logic board, or power board they could easily go for $100+
    but the panel is also cracked so it wont be worth much

for a tv repairmen expect to pay $200-400+ just to fix the internal ignoring the screen part

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Depending upon the model and parts in it they can go for a bit. You will tend to have to part them yourself though, possibly also confirming them working; somewhat surprisingly selling a whole unit for spares and repairs is not as lucrative as the parts market.

7. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    I wanted to know this too. I have a 50 inch Samsung with broken screen. My little bro threw the controller and it died. I called Samsung for repair and they wanna charge 110 labour cost plus part. I could buy a brand new tv for 350 lol

8. Drink the Bleach

Drink the Bleach This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014

Banned
    Apr 5, 2014
    United States
    You can sell it for $20 for parts, if you can convince the person to pay the shipping. I did some calculations for UE booms im selling and it cost like $12 each to sell them and they only weight 5 pounds. Just how much would a large TV cost?

9. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    A lot of good info here. I will look into the tv's insides tomorrow afternoon and see what's destroyed and whatnot and see about just parting it out and recycling the shell

10. flo

flo GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2006
    Hungary
    Wait wait...what ?

Madridi and elmoemo like this.
  11. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Lol which part confuses you the most? The fact that I went dumpster diving, or that I have a fiance?