Is there a limit to how long you can stay awake?

Solution
I found this. Lots more to it. I'll leave the link below.

"The easy experimental answer to this question is 264 hours (about 11 days). In 1965, Randy Gardner, a 17-year-old high school student, set this apparent world-record for a science fair. Several other normal research subjects have remained awake for eight to 10 days in carefully monitored experiments. None of these individuals experienced serious medical, neurological, physiological or psychiatric problems. On the other hand, all of them showed progressive and significant deficits in concentration, motivation, perception and other higher mental processes as the duration of sleep deprivation increased. Nevertheless, all experimental subjects recovered to relative normality within...

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I found this. Lots more to it. I'll leave the link below.

"The easy experimental answer to this question is 264 hours (about 11 days). In 1965, Randy Gardner, a 17-year-old high school student, set this apparent world-record for a science fair. Several other normal research subjects have remained awake for eight to 10 days in carefully monitored experiments. None of these individuals experienced serious medical, neurological, physiological or psychiatric problems. On the other hand, all of them showed progressive and significant deficits in concentration, motivation, perception and other higher mental processes as the duration of sleep deprivation increased. Nevertheless, all experimental subjects recovered to relative normality within one or two nights of recovery sleep. Other anecdotal reports describe soldiers staying awake for four days in battle, or unmedicated patients with mania going without sleep for three to four days.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-long-can-humans-stay

Solution

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Mister House is incorrect. The world record is 11 days. That doesn't, however, mean that the 17 year old who did it was on the brink of death at the end. People with insomnia disorders have stayed awake for months. Your concentration and other cognitive functions will worsen the longer you are sleep deprived, though.

Read my link if you're interested.

Edit: I've been ninja'd by a Nathan Drake. That one block of text isn't the real answer to this question. Read the whole thing.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-long-can-humans-stay

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I said that House said more or less 10 days. Which means a bit MORE than ten day and a bit LESS than ten days. And people with insomnia don't stay awake for months. They can't sleep right for months, but they can always get just that little bit of sleep that can let them stay alive(microsleep at least).

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
My point, pyrmon24, is that people don't die after 11 days awake. And I did say insomnia disorders, as in a medical condition, not plain 'ol insomnia.

There is a documented case of a man with Morvan's fibrillary chorea. The bloke stayed awake for several months straight, and didn't feel so much as sleepy the whole time. He did, however, experience a symptom of the syndrome, that is, waking hallucinations and pain, for about 20 to 60 minutes each night. I don't know if you'd call that rest, or microsleep even.

Hell, even rats only die after two weeks of being constantly kept awake.

In any case, I'm pretty damn sure you won't be able to make yourself stay awake so long that your organs shut down. Don't worry about that. But extended sleep deprivation can be dangerous nevertheless. Don't force it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes I'm in mortal danger
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes I'm in mortal danger