Hacking Is there a guide which will teach me how to softmod?

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As the title above states, is there a start-to-finish guide which will teach me about what the soft mod methods are, and how to perform them?
I'm trying to learn how to play back-up games from an external hard-drive.
Would this even work?
Any answers would be extremely helpful, thank you.

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And now what must I do to my external hard-drive to get my ps3 to play back-up games?

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is it games in caps? Would it still work if i have other files in the games folder, such as gamecube games, since 'games' is also the root folder name needed for dios mios.

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
is it games in caps? Would it still work if i have other files in the games folder, such as gamecube games, since 'games' is also the root folder name needed for dios mios.

I'm not sure if "games" in small letters works, but the standard is "GAMES" in caps.

It should work if you have other files in the folder.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe dios mios isn't as forgiving as multiMan when it comes to folder names. If you plan on using the same ext hdd for both Wii and PS3, I'd place the PS3 games in a folder named, "GAMEZ." Waaaaay back before mM, PS3 games were loaded either with "Backup Manager," "Open Manager," or "Backup Manager 2." Each loader had it's own preferred folder as some games would only load with certain loaders. The result was FAT32 hdds with various folders in the root: GAMES, GAMEZ, OMAN123, etc. Multiman sought to do away with having various loaders on the same modded console and was originally set up to load games from any of the folders that I just listed. I don't believe they've ever removed mM's ability to "look" for games in those folders. Dios mios, on the other hand requires games to be on the root in a folder named, "games" (i think....)

tl:dr Create a folder on the root (GAMEZ.) Put PS3 games there.

Reactions: Harx

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There's a guide for the old version (multiMAN v2.0).
http://gbatemp.net/threads/multiman-beginners-guide.291170/
it's a beginner guide, it explains a lot of "first launch" option and how to set it up.

A lot of things have changed since v4.0, but it gives you a quick view how it works.
For example, it does not auto-copy the config file from USB to internal anymore, you have to upload it manually.

The guide will help you in the first steps, but read the readme.txt (or changelog.txt) included with multiMAN if you want to learn all the changes.

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just downloaded Multiman 4.46.1 from this site: http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/multiman-v4-46-01-adds-4-46-cfw-support-3509/
When I tried to run it, my virus software popped up and blocked it. Which site would you recommend?
Secondly, this may make me sound like an idiot, but asking questions never hurt, so how do I jailbreak my ps3? In the multiman guide it said a custom firmware or dongle, do I just use a usb with a custom exe installed upon it? Or how/what do I do?

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
I just downloaded Multiman 4.46.1 from this site: http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/multiman-v4-46-01-adds-4-46-cfw-support-3509/
When I tried to run it, my virus software popped up and blocked it. Should I let it through or not?
Secondly, this may make me sound like an idiot, but asking questions never hurt, so how do I jailbreak my ps3? In the multiman guide it said a custom firmware or dongle, do I just use a usb with a custom exe installed upon it? Or how/what do I do?

Everything you need is here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-latest-rebug-cfw.347855/

Harx

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Time to sound like a major idiot, So what is CFW 3.55? How do I tell if I'm on it.
My plan is to buy an old 60gb ps3, would that be a smart idea?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Time to sound like a major idiot, So what is CFW 3.55? How do I tell if I'm on it.
My plan is to buy an old 60gb ps3, would that be a smart idea?
CFW 3.55 = Custom FirmWare version 3.55
OFW 3.55 = Official FirmWare version 3.55

To check your current Firmware version, go to settings> system informations

Reactions: Harx

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just conquering this thread for a second:

I have a cfw installed. System information says 4.30. I think it was the 4.30 rogero. What is the best way to go legit again? I have all the games I want to play on disc and I want to play online again. Is that still possible or will there be always traces of the cfw on my system?

mschumacher69

Trophies
XP
Country
Just conquering this thread for a second:

I have a cfw installed. System information says 4.30. I think it was the 4.30 rogero. What is the best way to go legit again? I have all the games I want to play on disc and I want to play online again. Is that still possible or will there be always traces of the cfw on my system?

Format your HDD and install the latest OFW.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a guide for the old version (multiMAN v2.0).
http://gbatemp.net/threads/multiman-beginners-guide.291170/
it's a beginner guide, it explains a lot of "first launch" option and how to set it up.

A lot of things have changed since v4.0, but it gives you a quick view how it works.
For example, it does not auto-copy the config file from USB to internal anymore, you have to upload it manually.

The guide will help you in the first steps, but read the readme.txt (or changelog.txt) included with multiMAN if you want to learn all the changes.

After updating the CFW, to update MM, can you simply install the new MM over the old or should you delete the current MM on the PS3?
Also, are there any major benefits to update from CFW 4.41 to 4.46?

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After updating the CFW, to update MM, can you simply install the new MM over the old or should you delete the current MM on the PS3?

Yes, I don't believe that there has ever been a version of mM that required a fresh install after deleting the previous version. If you already have mM, then it's always just a matter of updating it to the current one.

Also, are there any major benefits to update from CFW 4.41 to 4.46?

Netflix is the only thing that comes to mind.

Reactions: d.d.d.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool