Is there a fun way to learn to code?

Hebon

Dabbling in the videogamagical
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a while now I've wanted to learn to code. I have some great ideas for programs and games, but I never knew how to make them. Looking online for some C++ tutorials helped at first, but I just couldn't stick with it. I'm not the most driven person, and tend to be a little lazy. Reading a black and white page and learning by rote isn't exactly entertaining.

What I was wondering is if there are any tutorials or games or whatever that are fun and engaging that will teach me how to code (preferably C++, but anything else is fine.).

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
Unfortunately not. It's like maths or physics or whatever. You need all the boring stuff to even attempt the fun, interesting stuff.
This 100%. At OP, you must attempt to do the boring stuff before the problem solving and hacky fun stuff comes in. You don't have to do it all at once, just do it like a hobby until you can take a class or something.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A book would probably be better than online tutorials. Much easier to cram then. There should be something in a library. Then use the online tutorials as references once you've got the basics down. You should be able to manage that much in a week or 2 at an hour or so a day.

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's all fun ahaha, and >that feeling when you make something work
biggrin.gif
D I'm going to be taking classes with a buddy soon, that'll be fun.

Hebon

Dabbling in the videogamagical
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's disappointing to hear. I have a book on physics that explains everything in detail, but in comic form. It makes for an engaging read, while I really learn something. I was hoping for something like that.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take a course in school. I wouldn't do intro to programming, but AP Computer Science is a great choice. If you're over 18, take a computer science course at your local community college.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hebon said:
That's disappointing to hear. I have a book on physics that explains everything in detail, but in comic form. It makes for an engaging read, while I really learn something. I was hoping for something like that.
Well, you could certainly learn the basics like that, but the problem is if you learn something wrong to begin with it'll fuck you up for a while.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come to think of it, I'm starting my freshman year already with a mandatory summer school. I have Conceptual Physics for science. I just skimmed through the whole book, and....it's pretty overwhelming. Though my physics teacher DID say something about us having to learn about trigonometry and programming (etc, etc) soon. I might as well try to learn a bit about programming beforehand to ease up on the subject.

Can anyone help me out as well with intros to programming and some other helpful links?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you can google "the new boston" for some pretty good tutorials on all sorts of progamming languages. It's not very detailed (in the sense that you'll learn just the "main" stuff) but I found it to be of greater use than my lecturers.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
i remember a similar question was asked a while ago, and Rydian wrote this post linking to a bunch of stuff...

Here it is: click me
Honestly, everything in that post is wrong, and I think it's quite apparent from his signature spaghetti-code that he's not one to ask when it comes to programming. No offense.

@OP

Project Euler is a great example of the gamification of at least one critical aspect of programming. The service is a language-agnostic series of (mostly mathematical) logic puzzles which are designed to be solved programmatically. Upon solving each puzzle, you gain access to a private forum of others who have solved said puzzles, many the older of which have upwards 10 years of discussion. It's a fantastic learning tool for any fledgling programmer once you have down the basic syntax for your target language.

http://projecteuler.net/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.