Is there a flashcart that works for nintendo switch?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by metal01, Jan 12, 2019.

1. metal01
    OP

metal01 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2009
    United States
    I have a switch with the latest firmware. Is there one, and if there is one what should I get and will it work with the current version? Thanks!

2. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    1. This is the 3DS section.

2. While there is no flashcard for the Switch there are ways to play ROMs which I guess is what you're after. Your Switch's firmware version doesn't matter, but it has to be a compatible hardware.

Just look through our Switch section here on gbatemp, you'll find all the information you need.

TheOkster, Zense and Namesnipe like this.
  3. metal01
    OP

metal01 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2009
    United States
    whoops how the heck did I post it in the 3ds section. My bad. I don't want to hack the switch so much because I worry about being banned. I think i've got the available hardware it's a day one switch. Thanks!

4. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Germany
    Munich
    Well if you don't want to hack it, you're out of luck ;)

ScarletDreamz likes this.
  5. Extrasklep

Extrasklep GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2017
    Poland
    Browser’s Castle
    I think you can get banned for using cartridges too

6. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Kid now, squid now

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    A Switch flashcart is literally impossible to make. Nintendo added a crazy amount of security to the cart slot that makes that completely impossible.

7. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    You shouldn't make so defenite statements like "completely impossible". There can always be a small oversight that allows for flashcarts or something similar.

8. Elliander

Elliander GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2011
    United States
    Illinois
    There would be one very good reason to construct a flash cart: Getting game updates officially.

At present, in order to update a game on my modified Switch I have to download a game update on the unmodified Switch, and from there I can either use local wireless to share the game update (if both Switch consoles were on the same firmware) or use the SwitchSDTool to convert the games on the microSD card to NSP (which is ban risky, since it does require making temporary modifications first to get keys). Either way though, I can only download a game update if I physically inserted a game into the Switch at some point in the past.

Now, some Switch games will allow multiple titles to be loaded, but what if a single flash cart was constructed that had the header data for every single Switch game in existence? Not to play, not for piracy, just to get the Switch to load it up. From there you should be able to remove the cart and then download game updates one after another in quick succession, and from there upload NSP files for the updates. It wouldn't be piracy, just a means of getting game updates.

Of course, this idea depends on the idea that game certs are NOT stored on the Switch or sent when requesting update files. If only the console keys are sent it's no big deal, but if the cart certs are sent you'd have a problem.

Even if it wouldn't be possible to modify a cart to allow enough data to be stored to play games reliably, using it as a game update tool would work.

huma_dawii likes this.
  9. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Is weird that nobody made a Flashcard for Switch yet... I mean I would love to have one... Is easier and would for sure allow to get updates officially, unlike the methods we have now... Very not user friendly. Me myself I have to hunt down the update and then merge it with the help of NSCBuilder to a single XCI file... No big deal for games that are not being updated anymore...

But for games like Splatoon .2... You have to do it A LOT.

Elliander likes this.
  10. larrypretty

larrypretty GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2018
    United States
    No flashcard, only the Switch payload injector or usb dongle can work, the most easiest choice is Xecuter SX Pro, but it currently works on Switch under firmware 7.0. If you have Switch with 7.0.x console, you can pickup the ns-atmoshphere or a r4s dongle to install Atmosphere on it.

11. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    No flashcard will work (unless tx wanted to do that route)

check your switch sn here if you want to mod it, thats if its safe

12. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2013
    the ds and 3ds cart slot wasn't immediate compatible for flash cards it first needed to be hacked before you could use flashcards so to say impossible is too lital

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

but if u don't want to hack your system you could have sysnand and emunand setup and as long u setup right and do good practices u wont get banned. or second switch like me

13. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Wasn’t someone attempting to make a flash cart for the switch almost a year ago, don’t know if that ended up being that dragon injector thing don’t recall the name.

14. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    that was a usb dongle designed to fit in the card slot, it doesn't actually boot from the card slot or launch games from it

15. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    You also have to know if your switch is ipatched or not, if it is there is some hope, but developers arent releasing the exploit until the next switch revision comes out. If you have a older switch or just one that isnt ipatched, then all you need is a sd card and a paperclip, just be careful and use NO force using the paperclip. (or but one of the 3d printed things off ebay)

16. tinkle

tinkle taciturn shill girl

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    XCI mounting with SX allows this.

17. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Yes. About three times and then you're banned.

Last edited by wurstpistole, Mar 14, 2019
  18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Better to buy RCMloader One. I ordered one on AliExpress the other day, it was only $10.69 and is supposed to be better than the others. It sure looks nicer.

19. larrypretty

larrypretty GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2018
    United States
    Nice, but Aliexpess link for those dongles will be deleted time by time, so it's better to buy from a dependent online reseller, and I prefer shipping from USA not the CN.

20. tinkle

tinkle taciturn shill girl

Jun 9, 2015
    United States
    Load into unmodded mode and patch your games, obviously.