Is there a easy way to setup DIOS-MIOS to play from USB?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Metoroid0, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L
    All tutorial where wery confusing or in not enough details leaving me in the middle of work not knowing what to do next.

Is there some simple tutorial on how to setup all that?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You are right, the available tutorials are either outdated or complicated.
    though, they are still working if you follow them, but they are missing informations or providing unnecessary steps, telling the user to use old version, telling the user to use a specific loader instead of explaining that all loaders are compatible, etc.

I'll try to write a guide to simplify the steps, and fill the missing informations and issues from the two existing tutorials.
    But I don't want to write a detailed one, with how to softmod your console, how to download a file and extract a package on your computer, or how to rename and copy a file from your computer to SD card, or how to launch a homebrew from the homebrew channel, or how to setup your preferred USBLoader. If you want to use DIOS MIOS, you will need to learn how your computer and your homebrew channel work first.

The difficulty with writing tutorials is either to choose to explain things in details (lot of text, and users won't read), or only provide steps do_this to_that without asking questions (easy to follow, but the user doesn't understand what he does nor why).
    I prefer to educate the users to understand what they are doing, they will have less problem and questions later, they will know what's wrong and what they have to do.

What do you mean by "leaving me in the middle"?
    Where are you left alone? what is done, and what do you want to know?

3. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L
    Thats cool :D if you dont mind, put link to the tutorial here, i would really love to try it :)

in the middle of the work...the guy said to use some files i dont see or do download files from adress that dont exist etc...
    and non of the tutorials said what should i do with GC iso's! i got an Iso, ok..so what now :/

Thanks for reply :D

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you put the iso on your SD or USB, in the games folder

/games/Game's name [GameID]/game.iso
    only the red part change.

example:
    /games/Zelda WindWaker [GZLP01]/game.iso <--- this is a working path, the filename must be "game.iso" not the game's name.

or you can use tools which will rename the file and path for you, for example DMToolbox which is provided with DIOS MIOS and DIOS MIOS Lite.
    Select "Raw" option and it will only rename the filename.
    Select "Optimize" and it will remove unused data in the ISO to make a smaller file (not compatible with all games)
    Select "Extract" to extract the game's files to a folder instead of using an ISO. (not compatible with all games)

PS:
    I started writting the tutorial, but I wanted to make something very simple and small, but I ended writting details... too much maybe, but I hope it will helps a lot of users and they will understand what they are doing, instead of replying 50 times there will be a single place to refer to.

5. Metoroid0
    OP

Metoroid0 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 2, 2012
    United States
    K-2L
    Things are MUCH clearer now! Thanks :)

Details are good imo :D keep up the good work, i hope for the best ^^
    Good luck!

PS:
    I hate buying DVD's just to try the game...