Is there a Dreamcast emulator on Vita?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by FrostLust, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostLust
    OP

FrostLust Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2013
    Senegal
    I bought my Nvidia shield and looks like Shenmue isn't fully supported, so I was wondering about the Vita, also if there is, how's Shenmue on it?

2. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Only PSP mode is hacked and PSP isn't powerful enough for Dreamcast

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's just about enough for very rudimentary emulation of the Dreamcast, I've seen nullDC running on the PSP. The emulator was never released though and I think work on it has been discontinued. It's really a miracle that it worked as well as it did. :P

SLiV3R likes this.
  4. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Ah, i didn't knew that, thanks for showing me that, i guess it was akin to the Wii port of NullDC i guess ?

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty much - a proof-of-concept, low FPS "it can be done!" type of a port. :P

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Odd, the Reicast team released an update that was supposed to fix a majority of the issues with Shenmue. You sure you're running the latest version of Reicast? I know the beginning cutscene still had some minor graphical errors, but the rest of the game should've been fully playable.

7. FrostLust
    OP

FrostLust Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2013
    Senegal
    To be honest I never tries but there was a list of compatible games, will check when I can, thanks and woukd be cool if you provide more info.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Next time, at least try it before saying it doesn't work :lol: The compatibility list on the reicast site is pretty poor, they only list like 20 games or so and most of them haven't been tested on the latest version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reicast.emulator < download this, install it on your Shield, find the DC bios and put them in /sdcard/DC, then grab Shenmue and give it a try. Should work well enough.

EZ-Megaman and FrostLust like this.
  9. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I know this isnt REALLY the place to ask, but ill do it anyways. Is there anything past a POC Sega Saturn emu for the PSP?

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  10. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Dude it is a forgoten tecnology. I would be very happy if yes. But i belive not.

11. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    If it's not powerful enough to emulate Dreamcast, there's no hope in hell of it being able to emulate Saturn.

12. BORTZ

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    why, the dreamcast is newer than the saturn

13. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    The Saturn is infinitely more complex to emulate than the Dreamcast for several reasons

Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  14. FrostLust
    OP

FrostLust Member

Newcomer
    Feb 14, 2013
    Senegal
    At 1st I thought you're being sarcastic, oh well learn new thing every day. Thanks.

15. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

Just off the top of my head the dual SH-1 CPU's in the Saturn makes that a little harder than to emulate one single CPU. (Although I have an idea on how they do emulate it. If they just task the emulator to do every other instruction like CPU1 then CPU2 that could make it a bit easier. The problem is not all instructions take the same amount of cycles... So yeah still a bitch.)

Then there is the fact that the Saturn was the only console I know of that used square polygons, so that has to add a little bit of a challenge. (My guess is that the GPU is super custom and harder to emulate.)

I wish Saturn emulation was more mature though, it's one of the few consoles I don't own or have never had any play time with. (I have played one for about 5 minutes at a friends house.) So if they could perfect it, I would probably be pretty stoked.

Edit: Just realized a depressing fact.... I have spent hours playing CD-i games and only minutes playing a single Saturn game.... OK off to shoot myself now! Bye everyone! lol

BortzANATOR likes this.
  16. goober

goober GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2006
    United States
    The Saturn has a lot of poorly documented custom chips that weren't designed very well in a practical sense. 6 fully custom and two semi-custom iirc. Therefore, devs had to get rather creative to make games work with the limited and weirdly placed resources. Couple that with the fact that the Saturn was intended more as a 2D machine, in Sega's infinite wisdom, with 3D reluctantly being added and poorly implemented, devs again had to do weird things to make it work. That's why for the longest time Grandia stayed on the Saturn because an easy port to PS1 would not happen. As it stands, it's also why the PS1 port has a 2D battlefield and runs rather poorly throughout the entire game with slow-down rampant on just about every map.

In short, technically it COULD happen but there is no way in hell it will. Saturn emulators on PC are still rather poor and you can be a lot sloppier with PC emulators. It would take an extremely dedicated group of coders to make an efficient emulator and it would take a lot of effort to figure out all the CPUs through decaping and whatnot.

The Dreamcast, by comparison, has less complexity, uses more open code and more open, well understood, hardware. It has it quirks, but oddly if not for the polygon counts, it would be easier to make.

If only the Vita scene would get over themselves and break open the Vita. (There are a few ways supposedly known already as to how to do it) Screw the piracy excuse. The system is already dead to Sony out west and they're just bummed they can't blame piracy. So they just ignore it in full. Throwing Indie ports on it as an appeasement. At the very least we should be able to properly use the hardware since no developers seem to care.

17. BORTZ

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Well the indie ports are working for me :P

Yeah I know its a long shot, and I honestly dont really think it will happen, nor is the interest there. I mean my interest is there, but I cant code to save my life so... Theres that. I guess I can hope for a SSF port to Vita some day but oh well. Thank you for your explanation. I guess I already knew most of that, but you fleshed it out nicely for me.

18. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Lol Crazy Taxi Silent Hill mod. ^^

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Ah, people on them internets sometimes - they'll tell you something doesn't exist without... checking if it exists. :P

Yabause was ported to the PSP - it's highly experimental, it has no GUI and it's crap, but it exists and it "works". Unfortunately, emulating the Saturn is hard due to all the on-board processors and as such doing it on anything other than a PC rig defeats the purpose.

Here's a link: http://pspslimhacks.com/yabase-0-9-10-sega-saturn-emulator-for-psp/
    Actually, nullDC was also ported to the PSP, however there were no public releases of the emulator (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

BortzANATOR likes this.
  20. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    if the vita will get hacked experts at wololo says a fullspeed dreamcast emulator will happen! too bad the vita scene is dead and that device will probably never be fully hacked :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.