Hardware is there a device that connects gameboy games to gamecube?

theblokeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i want to try an experiment of sorts, but i need a device that can connect a gameboy game to a gamecube (that isn't a gba/gbasp) does something like this exist?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the last year, I've seen someone mod the GBA link cable to be cross-compatible with gen 2 Pokemon games with gen 3 pokemon games (proper GB to GBA connectivity, which was never officially offered), so such a feature should totally be feasible I would imagine considering the GameCube can connect with a GBA. But an official one doesn't exist, so not only would you have to troubleshoot such a device all on your own, you'd also have to properly develop some sort of GameCube testing homebrew that could connect with your GB to ensure everything is working properly to begin with.

Reactions: Takokeshi

theblokeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That device doesn't exist.

Want it to exist? Make one yourself.
oh ok yeah the only one i know of (which may i add we only know of one thats still out there) is the device that was actually in the pcny gotta catch em all station itself but i wonder if someone could mod a gameboy player to plug into the gamecube controller slot and then have code for the gotta catch em all station's software so it can fool it into thinking the official station hardware is connected (kinda confusing but it could work)

theblokeman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i also realize that someone is gonna have to dump this software first as even though it was found 2 years ago now it still hasn't been dumped

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the last year, I've seen someone mod the GBA link cable to be cross-compatible with gen 2 Pokemon games with gen 3 pokemon games (proper GB to GBA connectivity, which was never officially offered), so such a feature should totally be feasible I would imagine considering the GameCube can connect with a GBA. But an official one doesn't exist, so not only would you have to troubleshoot such a device all on your own, you'd also have to properly develop some sort of GameCube testing homebrew that could connect with your GB to ensure everything is working properly to begin with.
This wouldn't just be a case of a middleman converting GB link cable data to GBA link cable data - the GBA acts as a slave to the GCN: even when it's only being used as a glorified adapter to connect a GBA cartridge directly to the GCN, it uses network protocols while the GBA does all the actual gruntwork. You would need to properly simulate that, or create a completely new standard (which would be cool, and a learning experience, but have limited utility)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed