Homebrew Is the Wii U worth buying? I Own The Switch, Gamecube/Wii and New 3DS

Jjones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just wondering if there is a reason to really go out and buy this system because of all the ports of the games from the Wii U to the switch, is there really any special things available on the Wii U that isn't already on either the Wii Switch and 3DS? (all of which are modded in some fashion)

Solution
It all depends on which games you want to play. Do you want to play some of the best Zelda games? Get a Wii U. Do you want access to the entirety of the GC/Wii/Wii U libraries? Get a Wii U. Do you want to play Metroid Prime Trilogy? Get a Wii U. Do you want to play Splatoon online without having to pay for Switch Online? Get a Wii U.

If you don't care about these things, and you're content with Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, various ports and Switch original titles, etc., don't get a Wii U.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While there are a lot of games that have been ported to the Switch, there are some that are still missing. If there are classic games that aren't on the Switch that can be played on the GC/Wii/Wii U (that you're interested in playing), then the Wii U is still a good console to buy.

For example, I still use my Wii U to play Zelda games like Ocarina of Time (VC), Majora's Mask (VC), Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD.

Jjones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Nintendo switch is hacked and therefore can play all of those games that you've listed through emulation so for me virtual console really isn't a big selling point.

Jjones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmph, I thought for some reason wind waker was on the new 3ds xl but i guess i was wrong i thought for sure i had played it before on there as for everything else on that list you've mentioned is playable on the switch as of now ocirana of time through retroarch and and majoras mask as well. All be it is older and less graphically enhanced it still gets the job done. also twilight princess hd has been ported to the switch offically

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It all depends on which games you want to play. Do you want to play some of the best Zelda games? Get a Wii U. Do you want access to the entirety of the GC/Wii/Wii U libraries? Get a Wii U. Do you want to play Metroid Prime Trilogy? Get a Wii U. Do you want to play Splatoon online without having to pay for Switch Online? Get a Wii U.

If you don't care about these things, and you're content with Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, various ports and Switch original titles, etc., don't get a Wii U.

Solution

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
twilight princess hd is not on switch that is skyward sword hd lol
the zelda games missing from switch(main 3d ones) are windwaker, twilight princess and n64 ones which you can emulate, not sure how swithc is on emulating gc with dolphin but on a hacked wiiu you can play perfectly all gc/wii/wiiu games plus many retro games too but you can also play those on a hacked switch easily.

So for getting a wiiu is all about caring for wii/gc/wiiu library that doesnt exist on switch imo, i love gc library so im never selling my wiiu.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii u is honestly my favorite console. I play it nearly every day. it's like the vita in that it was a colossal failure, yes, but damn the emulation can't be matched.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look for the WiiU games that are not on the Switch /or yet to be ported, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Splatoon, maybe some digital-only games..

Jjones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh yeah i, i guess is didnt make it clear but i can play twilight princess on my og wii that is also a gamecube. Thats what i meant to say, i saw twiglight princess hd trailer and didnt know it was a concept so, apologies.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Twilight Princess and Wind Waker did get HD ports to the Wii U, which are superior to the Wii and respectively GC versions in all aspects in my opinion. I played through both on their original consoles and then again on the Wii U and it's a big difference. I wouldn't recommend buying a Wii U just for those two titles but they're both well worth picking up if you do get one. But beyond that only the remaining exclusives matter considering you got a Wii with GC support, albeit the Wii U does offer HDMI out for both right out of the box. Sadly the internal upscaler is garbage so for the best picture you have to manually decrease the output from 1080p to 480p or 720p depending on whether you want to play GC or Wii games and then let your TV handle the upscaling.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a rarity that anything is preferable on the wiiu but another thing to consider is not just what you can play but how you can play for instance the game zombi u (zombi in other consoles, a once wiiu exclusive that did not meet the sales requirement to remain exclusive) was one of the few games designed to be played on wiiu and the main story's gameplay reflects that immersing you in ways that wouldn't be possible without a second screen, as a matter of fact the 2 player game mode is not even available in any other version of the game except the wiiu for the lack of a second screen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2