Gaming Is the Wii really lacking in games?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thinking out loud, it seems to me that everyone is complaining about a lack of decent Wii titles, but are there really a lack of them?

Currents titles:

Wii Only:
Zelda - Twilight Princess
Excite Truck
Wii Sports
Super Paper Mario
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
Elebits
SSX Blur
Trauma Center: Second Opinion

Ports or multi-format:
Resident Evil 4
Scarface
Godfather
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Madden NFL 07
Mercury Meltdown Revolution

Those are the games that I would rate of 8/10, and I'm sure theres games that people don't really like and theres games I've missed out that others would rate. Compare it to most other consoles first 9 months I reckon that is pretty good, especially for a Nintendo console!

And the future?

Wii exclusive:
Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime 3
Battalion Wars
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Mario Kart
Endless Ocean
Mario & Sonic Olympics
Tales of Symphonia 2
Nights
Bleach: Shattered Blade
Wii Fit
NitroBike
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Soul Caliber Legends
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers
Harvest Moon Heroes
Dewy's Adventure
Day of Disaster
Ghost Squad
RE: Umbrella Chronicles
Trauma Center: New Blood
Animal Crossing
Wii Motorsports

Ports or multiformat:
Brothers In Arms Double Time
A barrage of EA sport titles
Bully
Table Tennis
Manhunt 2
Civilization Revolution
Alone in the Dark 5
Mushroom Men
Geometry Wars: Galaxies
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
Black 2

And I've missed a ton of games out. Ok some may not be for some gamers and some could be total crap but I reckon the Wii is gonna hold its own for the next year or so, hell I reckon it could go for longer. I think its great that we have three consoles that could win the console wars. If you think theres still not enough than you have way too much money and time on your hands.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
everyone said that about gamecube too.
sure it didn't have as many as other consoles, but it had more than I could afford let alone find the time to play.
Exactly! And though it lacked in quantity it made up in quality and originality. Back then I had a PC and a GBA (with no flashcart) so I was more than happy with what I had. Sure I wanted better FPS titles but when I think back I had a decent PC that could play the top titles so not really THAT much of a problem.

Of course some people may only have a Wii for the next few years, but I reckon theres enough there PLUS whatever is on the VC and WiiWare channels to keep gamers busy.

I get the feeling that chips and flashcarts have spoilt us with letting us get what we want and fast. Plus when I was working I had no time to play EVERYTHING, even now I'm not working I still don't due to looking for work and looking after a pregnant woman.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I get the feeling that chips and flashcarts have spoilt us with letting us get what we want and fast.

QFT

You get what you want. You get it when you want it. You get it for free.

Once you start pirating, it's hard to go back.

Anyways...

The two games for the Wii that I played for longer than an occasional sitting were TP and RE4. The other games didn't hold my interest as much. To me, the Wii's (and console gaming in general's) biggest competition is the DS.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most of the wii games either seem to be ps2 ports or DS ports. The only games I've liked so far are red steel, MOH and excite truck. Excite truck is the best game at the moment on the wii. I just hope when wii sports 2 is released that has online play. Same goes for exite truck 2. The wii does seem to be lacking in online titles as well.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
A few people are just upset cos the control system still needs a little refining (Tiger Woods 07 for instance - way sucky... hoping for a big improvement in the 08 release).

The rest are just moaning 1080P whores who don't like it cos they can't see any photorealistic graphics in their wiiiiiiiii games
rofl2.gif

Seriously, it is a bit lacking in the online thingy.... hopefully that's going to improve over the coming months

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Naw I think it's just a combo of the pirate types and the fools who are used to Sony over saturating the market with bulk totals of crap every month pretty much in the last 10years. If you really look into it, and figure that a NORMAL person probably would buy 1 game, maybe 2 in a month to play, there's plenty of material to go around from a lot of genres already...some as downloadable VC games, and the other as new material.

I for one have Wii Sports, Zelda (overrated), COD3, MOH:V, Godfather, and Super Paper Mario. I had for a time Excite Truck but it got old, Super Swing GOlf (broken swing mechanic ...returned it), and Red Steel (sword play sucked the fun out of it being broke.) I've had my share of disc based titles, still haven't touched the VC as I think forcing bulk point buys is crap. Right now I'm in a bit of a drought so I haven't touched it much except to slowly move along Mario. Next game I want is Metroid, but there are things I've missed I imagine I'd probably like but don't want to spend the money on like Rayman, Wario Ware (overpriced), Trauma Center, and Scarface.

Wii really needs some fighting and rpg titles right now as it lacks there, but as far as the rest of the major styles out there it's got most.

WildCard

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like it's been said already...noone has the amount of time to just buy every game that is released on a console. I bought a Gamecube first day it came out and thoroughly enjoyed the QUALITY games that were released over time. You take all the CRAP games out of the PS2 and XBox and compare the good games with what Nintendo offered...there'd be a smaller gap in amount of games (if any at all).

I bought a PS2 used several years after it was released. The only games I bought for it were mostly were RPG's (SQUENIX and NAMCO) which is what the Gamecube lacked a bit. Other than that...the Wii has more games that I play than any other current console. I ALMOST bought a PS3 for its BLURAY and other capabilites. That says something about a GAMING console when you consider buying it for its NON-gaming abilites...

And...I've gotten distracted and don't know what I'm saying anymore other than that the Wii future will be full of great games. Especially now that 3rd party developers are seeing how much the Wii has infiltrated very many different demographics.(correct use of word? I dunno)

freed_y

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
for now Wii, don't have a lot of game like RPG and Fighting game...
and a lot of port game from 3rd party. that make Wii lacking game..

but for future title, i hope there will be more RPG release (Tales of Symphonia 2, Final Fantasy CC Wii, etc)

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's just my very biased opinions on each of them, because i know someone out there might care.

Zelda - Twilight Princess
Hurrah I beat it..........now i can try for 100% or go into the cave of ordeals but do i really care?
Excite Truck
WOAH WHAT AM I DOING? OKAY TRYING TO TURN? WHY ISNT IT RESPONDING? OMG GOING OUT OF CONTROL! Hey race is over! S rank? wtf?
Wii Sports
Bowling and maybe boxing is the only thing that lasts. Face it, even with a bunch of friends, it gets boring fast.
Super Paper Mario
it's crap compared to it's predecessors. i don't usually complain about games being too easy but....this is too easy. if anything MIGHT be trouble, you just go 3-d and walk around it. then the useless USE A PIXI AND YOUR REMOTE TO DISCOVER HIDDEN DOORS
Mario Strikers Charged
Fun. Very fun especially with 4 players. This game lasted me the longest. Totally worth the money in my opinion, and I haven't even tried wifi yet. Although Diddy Kong was a bitch and Striker's Cup is ridiculously difficult.
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Uhhh....i didn't like it. That's all i can say.
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
So far so good, but forcing you to beat the entire game to unlock multiplayer is a bit cruel.
Elebits
after about 6 stages, it gets really boring. you just move shit, and shoot bits. yippee.
SSX Blur
haven't tried this one.
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
The other game on Wii that is totally worth the money. If you played the DS one, you'll be very happy with the improved features in the Wii version, and the extra wii mission is intense. Plus, the music is terrific.
Ports or multi-format:
Resident Evil 4
It's on PC, PS2, GC, what's to make anyone pick this up AGAIN on wii? Although aiming with the wiimote is really nice, the knife needs a bit more improvement. And...well....been there done that.
Scarface
A decent game that's definitely worth a rent. A purchase however....is iffy.
Godfather
haven't tried
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Ah, the mario party, before mario party. Shit sucks, dont get it.
Madden NFL 07
haven't tried
Mercury Meltdown Revolution
haven't tried

Some not mentioned ones were
Red Steel
God, even ubisoft themselves admit this game sucks. Shit controls, shit graphics, shit story, shit multiplayer.
Mario Party 8
Annoying Emcee, most minigames just have you flip the wiimote like a nes controller, or are poor "driving" ones. The gameplay itself between turns seem to be slower as well, 10 turns never took so long. Single player mode doesn't have minigames after each turn, and it STILL takes long.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i'm pretty disappointed with the quality of Wii games so far and i'd recommend a Xbox360 for most gamers because it has much better games so far IMO.

The big three i'm looking forward too but apart from that there's not a whole lot of high quality stuff that interests me.

Xbox360 games that are awesome:
(some of these are multi-platform)

Gears Of War - awesome single player and great online
Forza 2 - one of the best driving games i've ever played (realistic)
Dead rising - awesome zombie game
Ghost Recon - great single player and online
Oblivion - epic rpg game
Viva Pinata - a quirky nintendo-like game. lots of fun!
Crackdown - co-op on xbox live is a awesome! gets boring though i guess
Command & Conquer 3 - very nice RTS for a console
Call of Duty 3 - i love the online multiplayer in this game
The Darkness - gritty cinematic shooter.
Dead or Alive 4 - fun fighting game

these are the ones i can remember off the top of my head.

I know the Wii hasn't been out as long and the Xbox360 is only starting to get good games but the fact remains that the 360 just has a great mix of genres and quality titles while the Wii does not. Yet.

Great Games coming out for xbox360:

Bioshock (one of the best fps/rpg type games ever?)
Mass Effect (best rpg ever?)
Halo 3 (best online setup and frantic multiplayer as well as a probably good single player?)
Half-life 2 + all expansions (wow this sure is an awesome game!)
Portal (looks crazy awesome!!)
TF2 (hours and hours of multiplayer goodness)
GTA4 (wow this game looks so good, should be much better than the earlier GTA games)
Call of Duty 4 (online multi player looks like it will be awesome)
Blue Dragon (another good RPG)

these are the ones i can think of and most are coming out this year!!

meanwhile the wii has:
SMG (should be alot of fun)
Metroid (should be a great single player experience)
Smash Bros(should be awesome, hopefully they add online play!)

don't get me wrong the Wii is pretty cool but if you ignore the amount of quality games coming out for Xbox360 you're a fool.

maybe it's just my tastes but comparing the Wii to the Xbox360 the latter has alot more stuff that interests me.

i love nintendo but being a fanboy is just stupid.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with Cubin'.
Fanboy or not, you have to admit, 360 is actually pumping out the titles worth your time and money.
I'm not quite sure what the PS3 fanboys are all about, all their games aren't coming for another year, and if they are, it'll be on 360 with better online service anyway. But I'm not saying Live is exactly a perfect service, it has it's flaws like the price and lack of dedicated game servers.

Gears Of War - sadly i'd have to say rent it. although almost every 360 owner owns a copy, the singleplayer can be beat in a day. the multiplayer is nice but unless you're really dedicated, there wont be much to keep you playing.
Forza 2 - one of the best driving games(realistic) but realistic is boring to most people, and i'd suggest Burnout instead
Dead rising - awesome zombie game, i agree here.
Ghost Recon - great single player and so-so online. give it a rent. and rent graw2, it's much better.
Oblivion - get it on PC with the mods. no point in getting this on a console.
Viva Pinata - it's fun i guess. imo it didnt last very long
Crackdown - it's fun for a long while until you get all the gangs killed and are left finding agility orbs.
Command & Conquer 3 - very nice RTS for a console, but i'd reccomend getting it on PC
The Darkness - possibly the best FPS i've ever played. seriously, get this.
Dead or Alive 4 - fun fighting game, follows the good ol DOA tradition with difficult bosses and whatnot. btw, she kicks high
wink.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Full rant

I flipped through entire library of PS2 games and found 5 games that are worth buying used (bought 4 of them used, looking for a used Okami). Maybe because I've played a lot with my roommates PS2, but in both North America and Japan not so many games grab my attention.

So someone may find only a few games interesting from a console that's been around for years, PS3 and Wii's brand new so it will naturally look like they lack games, but don't listen to people who never played many games of that console.
(For example, there's only ONE 360 game that interests me which is Blue Dragon. But that doesn't mean 360 lacks good games, it just means none of the games fit my taste. I'm wrong to expect Japanese taste games to dominate American console, so I don't use the phrase "it lacks (good) games" And, if someone gave me a 360 to try out different games who knows if I'd be enjoying Gears of War)

I don't own a Wii, my girlfriend does, and I sometimes wish I had both PS3 and Wii because of Wii's games. People saying it lacks games should play it first, and from my NDS experience games that I spend money on get way better rating from me. If you own a Wii and think it lacks games (Why did you buy the console then?) I don't know what to suggest.

I think big games coming out every months really could hurt my health, Lair-Heavenly Sword-GTA4-Assassin's Creed for me, Mario Strikers Charged - Metroid Prime 3 - (somehow survive September) - Mario Galaxy - Smash Bros Brawl for Wii. Can you really keep up with all the games coming out? I don't think I can't even keep up with the most game lacking console PS3 (claimed by quite a number of people)'s game coming out (So I decided to skip Ratchet & Clank, bladestorm, Uncharted, DMC4 for time being, probably will be able to play them next year?)

I apologize for mix up of Wii and PS3, but I found it funny that I have to listen to some zealots trying to make other consoles look bad.

I wonder if those people mean "xxx console has lack of games because I can play 5 games a month for free by downloading and running on my hacked firmware but other consoles don't let me"

Well even I would buy a 360 to play multi platform games for free if there are enough of them to counter the cost of getting 360.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess its a mixed view on whether the Wii is lacking in games or not, personally I'm bored with whats coming to the 360, just seems to be the same sort of titles we get every year sadly. Out of the "modern" consoles 360, Wii, PSP and DS its the DS I play more as there always seems something fresh on it. It wasn't like that when it first came out to me.

Oh well lets see what the future holds.

There does seem to be a little nagging feeling that we won't see as many DS titles next year from the Big N, I'm hoping they'll announce some more for next year soon.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are currently twice as many Wii games as PS3 games. (source: gamerankings.com)

Compare the months of October, November, and December on these release lists:

http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html

http://ps3.ign.com/index/release.html

I recently read about a publisher saying,
"Hey, instead of blowing all our money on one PS3 game, we could make five Wii games." Not only would they sell better, but they could spend more time focusing on gameplay rather than expensive graphics techniques.

Wii is going to be swamped with games starting this fall, and it won't let up for the foreseeable future. It is the PS2 of this generation, it has the biggest install base (or is about to anyway), and developers realize this, so they're making more games for Wii.

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Five crap quality Wii Games. Its only my experience with the DS, as I don't own a Wii, but for every 1 game, there are at least 8 crappy games. Simply because the developers HAVE to spend less on these games, with the budget the publisher gives them.

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And every single PSP game is great because they cost more to make?
rofl2.gif

The point is, the more games there are, the more developers will have to try to make their games stand out from the pack. On a low-selling system, a developer doesn't need to stand out - their game is one of the only ones on the shelf!

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game quality will increase thats for sure, the big companies have games out so of course everyone else will have to tried harder.

Seems like its getting a bit PS2 with more cheap knock off games than high quality but its the same for the DS really. And I reckon publishers will give more budget to developers once they see it'll only do the game good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    Lol now with 32GBs of VRAM Ken?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No IKEA shit breaks within a month bed bath and beyond goes beyond
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus pictures don't always cut it with furniture when there's like 10 different bolt styles and they're just like figure it out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach:
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's not like how people whack it to uremums onlyfans :teach: