Hardware Is the Switch Revision Stronger than the Original Model?

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was curious for a little bit. I want to know if the new switch had any extra power than the old switch. Is the only point for the revision it's battery life? Infact is the new switch model weaker since it's supposedly using the chipset for the switch lite, and the which lite has the same battery life as the og switch on a weaker battery. Any help is appreciated. :D

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Only point was changing litography of SoC. So not only we got better battery life, but also less heat is generated. But it looks like Nintendo stayed with using even worse thermopads and thermal pastes to achieve similar temperatures as OG.
Lite is using the same SoC as rev, but with smaller battery.

There is no more power, but it looks like they eliminated some small bottleneck somehow somewhere, so we got in some games max 1 FPS.

Last edited by masagrator,

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, it shouldn't be stronger as it still has the same core configuration as the original, except at a lower fabrication process.

think of the idea of having a city of a fixed size, with fixed sized streets inbetween each building. Having a smaller fabrication process is like decreasing the size of the street. You waste less gas getting around the city(lower power consumption) but your building productivity is the same as you ultimately have the same number of buildings. (compute units)

in practice, decreasing the size yields lower power consumption, and thus, less heat. The only time where it would offer more performance is for systems where the cpu/gpu overclocks based on temperature(how most modern pcs work). This is not true for the switch as clocks are fixed based on a profile.

Last edited by GBADWB,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only point was changing litography of SoC. So not only we got better battery life, but also less heat is generated. But it looks like Nintendo stayed with using even worse thermopads and thermal pastes to achieve similar temperatures as OG.

This is probably more down to the fan not spinning up as fast or often. They likely still have the same target temperatures and adjust the fan speed accordingly. Some people have reported as much as 10c difference with intense games but that would probably depend on your environment.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you mean it's weaker than the original, but not by a huge margin? (Sorry I don't know what a bottleneck is)
The chip itself is superior to the one used in old models, it could go up to higher CPU and GPU clock speeds than the chip used in the original systems could. But Nintendo is using the same speeds as they do with the old systems, so performance should be practically the same.

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can be potentially faster since it would be capable of running at a higher clock speed while staying within the confines of the thermal dissipation capabilities of the console. But Nintendo wont likely ever utilize its potential preferring to keep it in line with the original model.

For me it all comes down to the better battery life, having a little better display is just an added bonus for me ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.