Hacking Is The Supercard DSTwo Any Good?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
OK, but which advantage does this extra CPU/RAM which eats up our battery have?
http://gbatemp.net/t289020-the-ultimate-ds-battery-test-thread-in-the-world
Not nearly as bad as some people say...

There's cheat search and changing, save/load state, even image and text file viewing, for walkthroughs. Outside of DS games, there's some emulators and homebrew that take advantage of it, beyond the obvious GBA/SNES.

Cheats? Does anybody use cheats?
That's a pretty narrow-minded view you have. You don't use it, so you think nobody else does?

http://cheats.gbatemp.net/forum/
http://www.codemasters-project.net/vb/index.php

There's two places dedicated to making and compiling cheats, and those are just the two I know of that focus on DS games.

Without GBA emulation the extra CPU+RAM are IMHO just money and battery wasters.
If the only reason you bought it was for GBA, don't be mad at the site. The official gbatemp review plainly states it's not perfect, and people on this site (including me) will often suggest an alternative (such as a PSP) for GBA emulation since the DSTwo isn't perfect.

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Outside of DS games, there's some emulators and homebrew that take advantage of it, beyond the obvious GBA/SNES.
Aehmmm... I've searched a lot an I've found a non usable GBA Emu, a non functional SNES Emu, a soso MAME and DS2x86,
Besides DS2x86 all emus suck, or are worse than the regular SNES/MAME emus, which don't need a an extra CPU/RAM. So which emu which uses the CPU/RAM is worth a try besides DS2x86? I didn't find a single one.

Rydian said:
If the only reason you bought it was for GBA, don't be mad at the site. The official gbatemp review plainly states it's not perfect, and people on this site (including me) will often suggest an alternative (such as a PSP) for GBA emulation since the DSTwo isn't perfect.
Why should I be mad at the site? A user asked if the card is any good and I say "No". Thats all.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Aehmmm... I've searched a lot an I've found a non usable GBA Emu, a non functional SNES Emu, a soso MAME and DS2x86,
There's some here.
http://gbatemp.net/forum/180-homebrew-bounty-entries/

Besides DS2x86 all emus suck, or are worse than the regular SNES/MAME emus, which don't need a an extra CPU/RAM.
MAME I don't deal with, but the SNES emulator for the DSTwo should be far better than the one for normal DS flash carts, are you sure you had the right one? CATSFC is the latest build.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/281917-catsfc-released/

So which emu which uses the CPU/RAM is worth a try besides DS2x86? I didn't find a single one.
I'm not very familiar with the other emulators, I use my PSP for that as it's way better for every system.

Why should I be mad at the site? A user asked if the card is any good and I say "No". Thats all.
Your buyer's remorse is flooding out of your posts, dude. :P

Reactions: 1 person

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

GBANDS - Considering it's the only GBA emulator that runs on a DS (not including the one that runs in DSi mode with either DSiHaxx or an iEvo), it runs pretty damn good if you configure it right and use the version that uses the game tweaks ini file.

SFCNDS - Not so great, which is why there is...

CATSFC - Which is so much better. Perfect, no, but try to tell me that SNEmulDS or SNESDS run better. PLEASE, try your hardest to tell me they do.

Haven't tried the MAME emu.

Haven't tried DS2x86.

So I make these points:
How well does the cart run NDS roms? About as damn well as you can.
How fast does the Supercard team release updates, or how fast does the DSTWO even NEED updates? Fairly quickly/Not often.
Does it suck battery? Yes, but not an inordinate amount.
Does it have emulators and apps that can only run on this cartridge and function better/fill a void that no other emu/card can perform/fill? YES, YES, YES.

I don't regret buying my DSTWO one bit. $35 + shipping was WELL worth it to be able to have something new that wasn't an iTouchDS RTS, something that had an updatable bootloader and was futureproofed, had a good team backing it, and most importantly, would let me play GBA games on my 3DS, which lacks a SLOT-2.

Edit: :ninja:

Edit 2 - And before I go to bed for the night (no, I'm not bowing out of the thread, I'll be checking back tomorrow), I know I stated earlier in the thread that I definitely liked the AK2i I bought for my little brother. But no way in hell would I give up the possibilities that the DSTWO has for his AK2i. AKAIO has a very clean cut interface, and the DSTWO's plugin menu kinda sucks, which is why I have iMenu set up as the plugin menu and BAGPlug set up as the ROMLoader. And they're old versions, and they're still really nice. ~Satisfied DSTWO owner. Best thing since sliced bread? No, but it's definitely the best thing to ever enter the SLOT-1 on my DS Lite and 3DS.

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rydian said:
http://gbatemp.net/forum/180-homebrew-bounty-entries/
No there aren't. There is ONE A7800 Emu and that's it. I forget to mention this one.

[quote name='Rydian]'MAME I don't deal with, but the SNES emulator for the DSTwo should be far better than the one for normal DS flash carts, are you sure you had the right one? CATSFC is the latest build.
http://gbatemp.net/t...atsfc-released/
[/quote]
Sorry, absolutely wrong. SNEemulDS is in every aspect better, performance and compatiblitity, especially performance. Everyone who tried both knows this.

Rydian said:
I'm not very familiar with the other emulators, I use my PSP for that as it's way better for every system.
OK, so once again: We don't have any other reason to buy the Supercard besides the realtime cheating. And we pay the realtime cheating with money and batterylife.

Rydian said:
Your buyer's remorse is flooding out of your posts, dude. :P
Yes of course, I startet my first post with "I regret buying it".

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I make these points:

How well does the cart run NDS roms? About as damn well as you can.
Like every other card on the market.

How fast does the Supercard team release updates, or how fast does the DSTWO even NEED updates? Fairly quickly/Not often.
Since the NDS is dead, it doesn't matter. We get some shovelware and that's it. We will never need to update any card again for NDS games.

Does it suck battery? Yes, but not an inordinate amount.
According to the test thread here on GBAtemp, it sucks 18% batterylife (while playing NDS games)

Does it have emulators and apps that can only run on this cartridge and function better/fill a void that no other emu/card can perform/fill? YES, YES, YES.
No, it's only DS2x86. That's it. Nothing more. And it CAN play GBA roms on a system without Slot2, OK (that's why I've decided to buy this card and not the acecard), but the GBA emu is simply too bad to mention it. So it's just the in-game cheat menu you get (and a lightning fast DS2x86 of course).

EDIT: The more you guys make me think about it, the more I come to the following conclusion:

The Supercard DSTWO is the worst choice of all DSi/3DS compatible cards if you're not interested in realtime cheating.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get what your huge beef is with the GBA emu. Yes, it isn't perfect. But playing Pokemon Saphire as an example, the game runs near-perfectly on NDSGBA v1.30 with CPU frequency turned to 4 and frame skipping set to auto. The frame skipping is very very subtle and the audio works fine.

So why exactly do you hate it?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
No there aren't. There is ONE A7800 Emu and that's it. I forget to mention this one.
There is other homebrew for the DSTwo there. I feel the need to point out that homebrew is not just for emulation. It also includes homemade games and utilities, such as launchers.

Sorry, absolutely wrong. SNEemulDS is in every aspect better, performance and compatiblitity, especially performance. Everyone who tried both knows this.
Don't make up stuff.

http://www.pocketheaven.com/ph/wiki/SNEmulDS_Compatibility_List

Of the ones there listed in red (so they don't run or have major issues), I had these ROMs handy...

Aero the Acro-Bat (U) [!]
Earthworm Jim 2 (U) [!]
Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.0) [!]
Lufia II - Rise of the Sinistrals (U)
Mega Man X 2 (U) [!]
Soul Blazer (U) [!]
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (U) [!]
Super Mario Kart (U) [!]

So I ran them both on both emulators, and the results I had in the general one were consistant with the Wiki. Some had graphical/layering issues preventing normal gameplay (can't see the character stats or menu options in battle in lufia 2, can't see any sprites at all in mega man x2), some didn't run or progress past a certain point, some locked up soon after starting.

They worked fine in CatSFC.

I have a video camera so I can show you if you want.

OK, so once again: We don't have any other reason to buy the Supercard besides the realtime cheating. And we pay the realtime cheating with money and batterylife.
tl;dr, much? Let me repeat myself. Save/load state, the ability to toggle options in-game, in-game text viewer (for walkthroughs and such), in-game image viewer (for maps and such), and slow-motion. Just because YOU don't use those features doesn't mean nobody does.

The cart is less than the cost of a new nintendo game anyways, so you sitting here constantly complaining about it in regards to it's emulation is pretty annoying. :P

Reactions: 2 people

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I seriously doubt he's using NDSGBA v1.21 with game_config.txt.

Or that he even bothered to up the CPU frequency to 4 instead of the default (2) which is pretty horrible. Kind of like complaining that the PSP SNES/GBA emus suck when you are still running at 222mhz.

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't get what your huge beef is with the GBA emu. Yes, it isn't perfect. But playing Pokemon Saphire as an example, the game runs near-perfectly on NDSGBA v1.30 with CPU frequency turned to 4 and frame skipping set to auto. The frame skipping is very very subtle and the audio works fine.

I don't hate it. I's just an emu. The thing I dont like about it, is that NO game works without constant frameskipping, so it's nice to look at, but useless for playing games.

There is other homebrew for the DSTwo there. I feel the need to point out that homebrew is not just for emulation. It also includes homemade games and utilities, such as launchers.
But once again you can't name em, because here's nothing out there worth our while which hasn't been discussed in this thread.

And the improved SNES emu may run some games more than other emus, but still: They slutter. They are unplayable. While SNESemulDS sucks too, it's still faster than this.
For the improved/dowgraded GBA emu with Gamelist.txt: Yes I've tried it, it still slutters. The games still are not enjoyable.

But I don't want to kick your post decision dissonace reduction even more guys. Be happy with your textreaders. I'll simply sell my DSTWO and buy an Acecard to get the same fun out if it without wasting my battery life for an emulation which doesn't work.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Why would I bother to name things when I've already linked you to the forum containing them? I did that instead of naming them, so that not only was it less typing for me, but you'd see them and have links to their development threads.

We're not telling you what you should or should not be doing, we;'re defending a product you're coming in and making untrue claims against just because you're pissed it's not letting you pirate as well as you want, even though it's less than the price of a single new game.

Reactions: 4 people

Click This

Surgite!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't hate it. I's just an emu. The thing I dont like about it, is that NO game works without constant frameskipping, so it's nice to look at, but useless for playing games.

But once again you can't name em, because here's nothing out there worth our while which hasn't been discussed in this thread.

And the improved SNES emu may run some games more than other emus, but still: They slutter. They are unplayable. While SNESemulDS sucks too, it's still faster than this.
For the improved/dowgraded GBA emu with Gamelist.txt: Yes I've tried it, it still slutters. The games still are not enjoyable.

But I don't want to kick your post decision dissonace reduction even more guys. Be happy with your textreaders. I'll simply sell my DSTWO and buy an Acecard to get the same fun out if it without wasting my battery life for an emulation which doesn't work.
If you want names so much, here, have the entire bloody list.
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DSTwo_Plugin

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow, first time I saw someone hate the SCDS2, its just seems strange to me :(
Once again. I don't hate this flashcard. But you guys are Flashcart-Fanboys and thats really strange... ;)

Rydian said:
Why would I bother to name things when I've already linked you to the forum containing them?
Dammit, because I already told ya, there's just DS2x86 (which I've praised two times in this thread) and a A7800 emu with bad sound. :)
You simply can't say there's a lot of great stuff in this link for the DS2 if you don't name at least one. :) I've searched it. I really really wanted to find anything there because I wanted to give this battery consuming CPU/RAM stuff a reason for it's existence.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, first time I saw someone hate the SCDS2, its just seems strange to me :(
Once again. I don't hate this flashcard. But you guys are Flashcart-Fanboys and thats really strange... ;)
So its strange to like the best DS flashcard on the market?

Cause to be serious if you don't like Supercard so much then why didn't you buy an Acekard or something instead of complaining? it costs less and it can do the basic stuff that all flashcards do and from all your posts that was what you wanted.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
No, we just don't tolerate bullshit, which you continue to post. In addition to your untrue claims about emulator compatibility, see below for another example regarding the number of available homebrew.

Dammit, because I already told ya, there's just DS2x86 (which I've praised two times in this thread) and a A7800 emu with bad sound. :)
Again, that's only if you consider emulators.

http://gbatemp.net/topic/280738-ds2x86-scds2-entry/
http://gbatemp.net/topic/285447-bagplug-scds2-entry/
http://gbatemp.net/topic/289208-nyan-cat-for-dstwo-scds2-entry/
http://gbatemp.net/topic/294179-a7800ds2-emulator-dstwo-entry/
http://gbatemp.net/topic/279530-imenu-scds2-entry/

That's five homebrew made/updated for that competition, in addition to the GBA emulator (native), the SNES emulator (originally native, but with source available so it's been updated by two different people), the iReader (native), iPlayer, and the MAME port, as shown on the official dstwo plugin page you (available at the top of the plugin wiki link you were given).
http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/plugin.htm

So that's not 2, that's 10 I grabbed just from the links that were posted here for you already, yet you continue to claim there's only 2, which is bullshit. 10 != 2.

You are posting blatently untrue things about the cart. That's the problem.

You simply can't say there's a lot of great stuff in this link for the DS2 if you don't name at least one. :)
You'll have to excuse us for assuming you have the capability to click and follow links. Since you've shown you don't like doing that, I took the liberty of following the links for you to post the information here.

I've searched it. I really really wanted to find anything there because I wanted to give this battery consuming CPU/RAM stuff a reason for it's existence.
http://gbatemp.net/t289020-the-ultimate-ds-battery-test-thread-in-the-world
Here, I'm linking you again, in the vague hope that maybe you'll follow and read it this time.

The DSTwo only has worse battery life when actually using one of the dedicated homebrews, when doing normal DS flash cart functions it actually has BETTER battery life than a couple other common flash carts according to the tests in that thread.

Reactions: 1 person

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, we just don't tolerate bullshit, which you continue to post. In addition to your untrue claims about emulator compatibility, see below for another example regarding the number of available homebrew.
All of your examples have been discussed here, besides 3 new ones I've decided to ignore until now.
You're adding 2 GUI replacements and this flying cat homebrew. OK. Maybe someone is happy about this.

The DSTwo only has worse battery life when actually using one of the dedicated homebrews, when doing normal DS flash cart functions it actually has BETTER battery life than a couple other common flash carts according to the tests in that thread.
If this would be true, I'd immediately shut up, because that's my main problem about the card. Wasting battery life for nothing. But according to the test thread it sucks 18% batterylife while playing NDS games. I don't know what's true.
Cause to be serious if you don't like Supercard so much then why didn't you buy an Acekard or something instead of complaining? it costs less and it can do the basic stuff that all flashcards do and from all your posts that was what you wanted.
If you take a look at the first post of this thread, you'll read a user's question who's thinking about buying a DSTWO because he's interested in the GBA emu. That was exaclty my intention for buying the card when I bought it last week. After my experience with the GBA emu, all I wanted to do was basically telling this user the same thing you told me right in this quote... and then the fanboy shitstorm startet... ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended