is the snes powerfull enough for supaplex?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't know the game and am not a developer, so my opinion isn't well-founded. Just looked at a video for some seconds.

Graphically there are way more impressive titles on the SNES and the technical specifications of the Amiga 500 which ran the game according to Wikipedia aren't too impressive as well. It fit on a 720/800KB 3.5" floppy disk, so cartridge space surely isn't an issue.
It might run into the sprite limit of 128, but I think developers knew great ways of dealing with sprite limits (not all blocks are active at once in Supaplex).

The SNES hardware can be upgraded a lot by enhancement chips in cartridges, but from what the graphics look like this shouldn't be needed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#SA1 mentions the use of SA-1 for increasing the sprite limit.

My feeling tells me that it could be ported perfectly to SNES. But that doesn't answer the question if the given source code could just be compiled. As far as I know SNES was programmed in assembly back then.

JaapDaniels

OP
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
@KleinesSinchen yes, it was, it basicly is a modded microcrontroller, like all pre ps2 consoles were.
that being said, i can convert c (unoptimized, and far from perfect) to assembly, or better, go the other way, i've got an option like there is for arduino, just without the lib shop.
see: devkitsnes
still a beginner in coding so it's way out of reach for me, but that should help encode, and for the special chips, i mean to run it on my fxpak pro (aka sd2snes pro) wich can run special chip code of alsmost all special chips, hell it can run msu-1 special chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a