Is the seedminer jailbreak going to be possible after the end of nintendo server support?

renin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sooo, I'm thinking about buying a japanese New 3DS XL/LL on ebay and jailbreaking it so that I can play the games that I already have (I live in Brazil and because the 3DS is region locked I assume the games are not going to work).
When I was looking around in the internet I came across many different articles saying that the nintendo servers for the 3DS and Wii U were going to have it's official ending around january 2022. I know that these rumors have existed since 2020, but it could be true.
I tried to ask the vendor in what firmware version the console is, but never got a response. And, as far as I know, both jailbreak for the 11.15 (PicHaxx and USM) to install boot9strap and Luma need conection with at least the friends app or the E-Shop.
Thanks for your time

ChaoticPumpkin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anything ntrboot could be used to install CFW, but yeah, if the 3ds friends servers do go down, I'm pretty sure seedminer would not work anymore.

EDIT: it looks like only the ability to use credit cards to pay on the eshop will be shut down, but other payment methods will still work.

renin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If anything ntrboot could be used to install CFW, but yeah, if the 3ds friends servers do go down, I'm pretty sure seedminer would not work anymore.

EDIT: it looks like only the ability to use credit cards to pay on the eshop will be shut down, but other payment methods will still work.
Thanks, I forgot about that flashcart, but it would be nice to have some other way that doesn't require another accessory to buy.

AnotherMuggle

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I forgot about that flashcart, but it would be nice to have some other way that doesn't require another accessory to buy.
I chose to use ntrboot because I felt it was the simplest method. I'm guessing if other methods become difficult/impossible then we'll see more flashcarts hit the market with ntrboot preflashed.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Sooo, I'm thinking about buying a japanese New 3DS XL/LL on ebay and jailbreaking it so that I can play the games that I already have (I live in Brazil and because the 3DS is region locked I assume the games are not going to work).
When I was looking around in the internet I came across many different articles saying that the nintendo servers for the 3DS and Wii U were going to have it's official ending around january 2022. I know that these rumors have existed since 2020, but it could be true.
I tried to ask the vendor in what firmware version the console is, but never got a response. And, as far as I know, both jailbreak for the 11.15 (PicHaxx and USM) to install boot9strap and Luma need conection with at least the friends app or the E-Shop.
Thanks for your time
Should the eshop / friends service, or whatever online thing go down, there is still the completely independent "Mii QR --> Bannerbomb3" chain. It doesn't need to connect with any Nintendo service, but it is does require more bruteforce time (GPUs seem to be getting a lot faster lately, so maybe this method will be mature by the time the eshop goes down). Additionally, it appears the MAC address of the 3DS could speed things up a bit.
If all this fails, I can always just keep falling back to browserhax (or something else).

Regarding the Jan 18 deadline, that is just for removing on-3ds credit card usage on JPN 3ds's. Europe has already had this feature removed (and yet people can still use the eshop in that region via off-3ds purchases from PC, Switch, or retail point cards). There is no such restriction on US systems, and none currently planned, but that may change sometime in the future.

I suspect there could be a multi-region firmware security update on Jan 18 to coincide with the JPN credit card removal, and that could shake up the homebrew scene a bit. I might or might not be withholding stuff based on that concern.

Whelp, none of that happened :P

Last edited by zoogie,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans