Is the SD Media Launcher the easiest way to play backups and roms?

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by budmonster, Oct 4, 2017.

1. budmonster
    OP

budmonster Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    I haven't modded a console since the PS1. All I had to do was plug this Game Enhancer mod in the port in the back, put some spring in, swap discs with the burned disc, was easy.

I bought all the retro consoles for my son son and buying the physical copies are just to expensive anymore. Im trying to play backup on my DC, GC & SS.

Is the SD Media Launcher the easiest method for playing GC backup docs and roms files? I have no soldering skills. I tried to Google it and I got this: https://imgur.com/a/6lhUE

It's from the UK. The website if is legit, offers both regions. I don't know how long it would take to get to the States but it would cost me $35 for everything.

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    If you got a modded Wii, you should consider looking into this.

But yes, a SD Media launcher (the card adapter) is required.
    That or an SD Gecko/Wii Key SD.

THYPLEX likes this.
  3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    SD Media Launcher includes an SD adapter and the boot disc to activate it.
    Datel still sells them for US and PAL regions. As far as I'm aware their Japan edition appears discontinued, but I don't read Japanese to be very helpful.

On a standard Gamecube, you first need a commercial disc that your console can read.
    Modchips can skip this step in different ways (like direct DVD-R loading or their own homebrew support).

THYPLEX likes this.
  4. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Your Disc drive's laser will also need to be re-calibrated to read the darker DVD-R media.

5. aea

aea Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2013
    I have a standard gamecube (DOL-001) and the only thing that I used to run homebrew was the SDML, no commercial disc needed. However I'm currently using a commercial disc (007: Agent under fire), but because it's one of the gamecube exploitable games that we can use to run homebrew, not to use it in order to load the SDML.
    In the many years that I have using the SDML I haven't had to touch my gamecube's hardware, because since SDML is a softmode, you don't have to hardmode your console: I have loaded .dol/.iso from SD, dvd and HDD without a problem. Of course, I try to avoid the dvd option because it's the main purpose of using Swiss: to extend the dvd laser life.

6. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Apologies for the confusion. I was referring to discs recognized by gamecubes without homebrew or any other prerequisite. (this includes Datel discs)

Swiss enables burnt DVDs, but it's hit or miss how well it'll work out of the box. My understanding is Nintendo didn't configure the laser to reliably read them.

7. master801

master801 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2011
    United States
    I don't see why they would need to. It's not in their best interest nor a priority since the GameCube doesn't (directly) read DVDs anyway.

8. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Its hit or miss with a gamecube reading minidvd-r. I have 4 cubes and only 2 read them. I use the sd media launcher to boot GC OS 1.5. You can also boot all the action replay dols

9. alex_wutang

alex_wutang Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2010
    I have a question when using the hacked saves metod + swiss as an entrypoint.
    I have SSBM/ZWW, a Nintendo WiiKey SD card adapter and a 4 GB SD card. Is this enough for me to perform the exploit?
    Can I boot the hacked save files with swiss from the WiiKey SD card adapter or is it also necessary for me to import them to a real memory card and then boot the exploit from there?
    In case I need to import to a real memory card, then I probably need an already hacked Wii or Gamecube in order to do it with GCMM, am I correct?

10. CMDreamer

CMDreamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 29, 2014
    Mexico
    Sorry if I get a bit out of topic.

Considering that you intend to play NGC backups and emulators, should be more convenient to get a backwards compatible Wii (already hacked, or not, and hack it yourself -pretty easy-), and use Nintendont, to load NGC game backups and emulators for those oldie glories?

I've got a Red Wii (4.3U version) I hacked it myself (really easy) and can enjoy NGC, Wii games and emulators on it, and considering its backward compatibility, I can use my NGC gamepads to enjoy.

That'd be the best option IMO.

More over, you need not to buy anything beside an SD Card to hack the Wii and a HDD to get your games running.

paulttt and THYPLEX like this.
  11. alex_wutang

alex_wutang Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2010
    I agree that hacking the Wii is a very easy way, but unfortunately I don't have one. That's why I am wondering if the method I wrote above is possible?

12. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Wiis may be be dirt cheap though, in the UK I've seen them for £20-30.

13. WACOMalt

WACOMalt Newbie

Newcomer
    May 14, 2009
    United States
    Sorry to revive a dead thread. But I've just added HDMI output to my Gamecube and am wanting an easy way to load backups. Modding for full size disks is not something I want to do. I'm wondering if the SD Media Launcher would be the best bet? Not sure if anyone has ever used USB drives with any setup or if that's impossible. If SD is the only way, is there a maximum SD card size?

I was hoping to be able to fit all my favorites on one card, but the only info I can really find is that these sort of loaders are limited to around 2GB cards at max? So like one game at a time...

14. RMZK

RMZK Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2015
    Mexico

Most people already have original copies of Melee and WindWaker, the action replay is not needed unless you are annoyed by a couple of extra steps every time you want to boot to swiss. For easier installation I recommend setting up the memcard on a Wii.

This applies only to the Action replay boot disc, if you use a memory card exploit you can use any SD card to load ISOs, and even if your only method of booting Swiss is the Action replay disc, Swiss allows to hot swap SD cards.

alexander1970 likes this.
  15. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    In principle there is no reason why big SDXC cards should not work. I have successfully used 64GB. The 2GB limit comes from the Datel software.
    Start Datel disc → load Swiss from small SD → switch to big SD → load game
    Works, just takes a while. The Windwaker exploit is actually a bit easier.

Keep in mind that the memory card (EXI-)bus is relatively slow: Cutscenes may stutter/skip and loading time is worse than from DVD.

If you happen to have a WODE or similar this would probaby give the best results.

Far more detailed information:

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Booting_Homebrew
    https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss

alexander1970 likes this.
  16. Zonark

Zonark Zonark - Noun - A God

Jul 11, 2010
    United States
    Honestly right now the cloned xeno chips would be the easiest way to mod it mainly because of its abilities to play region free without having to buy multiple items that are hard to find now. plus the chip I believe only has 6 or 7 points to solder

Last edited by Zonark, Jul 12, 2019 at 12:06 PM