Hacking Is the SC dstwo really worth the price?

Isystematic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm really low on budget right now but I dont wanna end up rebuying another flashcart just because it cant be updated or other issues?

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really low on budget right now but I dont wanna end up rebuying another flashcart just because it cant be updated or other issues?

For the price of one game cartridge, you're not going to ever have to worry about issues with firmware updates, as SC team updates within a week or so, which is really fast. Almost every other flashcart to date has just about died out. Also, you're gonna get a host of great features such as slot 1 GBA emulation and an inbuilt CPU. I got the DSTwo at launch as a review unit and it's been the go to unit by far, even today. I still use it constantly! :) So, do yourself a favor and don't gimp out on it! :)

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play ds games only, then yes it is worth it. But there is also more that are cheaper and do the samething such as the acekard and the r4igold. The only thing that made me buy the dstwo was the auto AP patching.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play ds games only, then yes it is worth it. But there is also more that are cheaper and do the samething such as the acekard and the r4igold. The only thing that made me buy the dstwo was the auto AP patching.

Acekard is basically dead though, updates stopped long ago. I don't recall the R4i Gold one, but if OP is smart they'd dump the extra cash in for an all around better flashcart.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the current ak2i design will probably never receive an update, and the r4i gold's current update requires the end-user to physically cut a circuit on the PCB.

the SCDS2 is worth it because the day you get it and put 3 games on it, it just paid for itself. then a week later you have 100 games on it, homebrew, vids, mp3s, emulation, rom hacks, rom translations, e-books, applications, images, etc, it will have paid for itself 10 fold.

-another world

Reactions: nukeboy95

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the current ak2i design will probably never receive an update, and the r4i gold's current update requires the end-user to physically cut a circuit on the PCB.

the SCDS2 is worth it because the day you get it and put 3 games on it, it just paid for itself. then a week later you have 100 games on it, homebrew, vids, mp3s, emulation, rom hacks, rom translations, e-books, applications, images, etc, it will have paid for itself 10 fold.

-another world

Wait what really? Wow, that's actually kinda fascinating. :blink:

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SCDS2 is the go-to cart IMO. Nothing better. If you can't afford it, I suggest simply waiting until you can. as it is you're pretty much saving a ton of money, then to remark on the SCDS2 itself being too expensive... >_>;

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the price of one game cartridge, you're not going to ever have to worry about issues with firmware updates, as SC team updates within a week or so, which is really fast. Almost every other flashcart to date has just about died out. Also, you're gonna get a host of great features such as slot 1 GBA emulation and an inbuilt CPU. I got the DSTwo at launch as a review unit and it's been the go to unit by far, even today. I still use it constantly! :) So, do yourself a favor and don't gimp out on it! :)

Don't lie to people. While the DSTwo has been lucky with not getting permanently blocked, and quick with updates, it is not immune to it, saying "you're not going to ever have to worry about issues with firmware updates" is an extreme exaggeration. Also it does not do Slot 1 GBA emulation. It emulates GBA through software. And the built in CPU is a battery hog on the downside of it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo is the only cart to use a secondary update reading method (it does not store every bit of data on the cart itself), and is the only cart that has ALWAYS been able to update. People who got the first batch for use on the DSi are still able to use it on 3DS 6.x, while even the r4ids.cn cart has had no less than six revisions.

Reactions: chyyran

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSTwo is the only cart to use a secondary update reading method (it does not store every bit of data on the cart itself), and is the only cart that has ALWAYS been able to update. People who got the first batch for use on the DSi are still able to use it on 3DS 6.x, while even the r4ids.cn cart has had no less than six revisions.
Again tho, it doesn't mean a hardware difference won't ever be found and the card won't ever be blocked. It is very likely, that while the card has lasted a long time, it too will be blocked someday.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SuperCard can charge so high because they know they can back it up with constant updates and their great features. Cant really say the same with the other R4's. Well, unless your into the habit of cutting things you buy that shouldnt be cut...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Again tho, it doesn't mean a hardware difference won't ever be found and the card won't ever be blocked. It is very likely, that while the card has lasted a long time, it too will be blocked someday.
I'm not saying that it will never be blocked.

But a cart that's never been blocked on the DSi/3DS doesn't exist, so when suggesting what to purchase, the DSTwo is the best choice out of the ones that exist, since they can't buy something that's just theoretical.

In reality the DSTwo is a far safer bet than anything else. The numbers back it up time and again, 0 to >0.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that it will never be blocked.

But a cart that's never been blocked on the DSi/3DS doesn't exist, so when suggesting what to purchase, the DSTwo is the best choice out of the ones that exist, since they can't buy something that's just theoretical.

In reality the DSTwo is a far safer bet than anything else. The numbers back it up time and again, 0 to >0.
Oh, yea not disagreeing with you there, I would recommend the DSTwo just the same. Just wanted it to be clear that the "you never have to worry about firmware blocking it" idea was incorrect.

wyndcrosser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it's $36 bucks... that's insanely cheap compared to buying a new game or heck even a used game with Gamestop prices. Mow a few lawns (if you're a kid), or work a few more hours at work.

I've had my Dstwo for almost 4 years now and I've loved it... I barely use it now, but it's worth every penny. I've had two other cars before the dstwo and they sit in a drawer somewhere because they don't work with newer games.

Wynd

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, yea not disagreeing with you there, I would recommend the DSTwo just the same. Just wanted it to be clear that the "you never have to worry about firmware blocking it" idea was incorrect.

I promise you that was not what I meant lol. I am really not technologically adept in terms of tech speak like Rydian here lol. I have owned one of each major flashcard (Supercard DSOnei, EX4i, Cyclo DSi, EZ Flash, R4, the R4i series, the R4i CN series, the EZ Flash 3 in 1, iSmart, and the iPlayer) and of them all the DSTwo has stood the test of time even after 4 years in terms of updatability. Even though my post may have sounded like it, I never meant to say that the cartridge was basically invincible to anything, I don't think anything's gonna be like that. Mine was from the very first batch to arrive out of the Supercard manufacturing factories. I sincerely apologize for the confusion I may have caused you!

kimboogie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no doubt dstwo is the best cart right now. But it is very disappointing that sc team hasn't released any game patch update for over seven months. Some games don't work without 3rd party rom patch.

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, considering that the SC team essentially converted a dingoo into a ds flash cartridge, that price is quite reasonable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night