Hardware Is the right JoyCon (IR camera) potentially a WiiRemote for Wii VC?

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Has this already been discussed?

- accelerometer: check
- gyros: check
- dpad: analogue stick
- buttons: plenty, just in another position;
- IR sensor: check (only in the right JoyCon)

add a sensor bar
and you could play stuff like RE4_wii, Mario Galaxy and the like, if released as VC titles

thoughts?

The moment they revealed the IR eye under the right JC I thought "fully functional Wii Remote Plus" and "Wii VC".

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the controller would be upside down.
I dont think that nintendo is going to that tho. That would be a step backwards, and they finally are moving forward.
Backwards compatible haves been killing there systems. So they just need to drop everything from the wii and move forward.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
the controller would be upside down.
I dont think that nintendo is going to that tho. That would be a step backwards, and they finally are moving forward.
Backwards compatible haves been killing there systems. So they just need to drop everything from the wii and move forward.
Why? Backwards compatibility sets them apart from other consoles

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? Backwards compatibility sets them apart from other consoles
You have to design your system around that which can limit how far you go. If the wii u didnt have it then they might have made something else beside the wii mote.
Also you have to make sure the specs of the new system can handle the old system setup.
IF you emulate the old system you needs higher specs. If you do it from a hardware point it wont let you change as much hardward to make a better system.

IMO its best to drop it and move forward so you can do alot more.

Also

Reactions: zezzo

rikumax25!

Keyblade Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
You have to design your system around that which can limit how far you go. If the wii u didnt have it then they might have made something else beside the wii mote.
Also you have to make sure the specs of the new system can handle the old system setup.
IF you emulate the old system you needs higher specs. If you do it from a hardware point it wont let you change as much hardward to make a better system.

IMO its best to drop it and move forward so you can do alot more.

Also
Not necesarily, good design allows to add features without sacrificing software or hardware.

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, it wouldn't be direct backwards compatibility, as Switch has an ARM processor, while Wii/WiiU had a PowerPC one. Which means, emulation is needed. Now, considering that some Android devices can run Dolphin somewhat well, WITH the bloated software, a dedicated gaming device on ARM could potentially handle it, but I highly doubt Nintendo would go for that, way, WAY too much work.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically possible, yes, but it would be really awkward to use like that.
Yea the controller would be up side down.
Not necesarily, good design allows to add features without sacrificing software or hardware.
yes higher price system because your making a 2 in one to keep up with the old system.
PLus you gotta work harder to keep up support for it. If you let that go then your able to work more on the next gen then old gen.
But thats just how i see it.

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, it wouldn't be direct backwards compatibility, as Switch has an ARM processor, while Wii/WiiU had a PowerPC one. Which means, emulation is needed. Now, considering that some Android devices can run Dolphin somewhat well, WITH the bloated software, a dedicated gaming device on ARM could potentially handle it, but I highly doubt Nintendo would go for that, way, WAY too much work.
You're forgetting that Nintendo has the source code for their own games, and the SDKs are most likely practically compatible.
So... They won't need to emulate - they can just recompile the game for an ARM CPU target.
It's not that simple, of course, but much easier than emulation.

If they make Wii VC, I'm expecting it to use the motion control to simulate aiming with the Wiimote. Supposedly the new sensors are powerful enough that they should be able to do that.

Reactions: pelago

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people retarded? Wii VC isn't vc. It is just launch vWii (osv1 in this case) with a rom in place.
The switch won't be able to do that

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are people retarded? Wii VC isn't vc. It is just launch vWii (osv1 in this case) with a rom in place.
The switch won't be able to do that
Yea i think most forgot about the disc less
Or were just thinking about redownloading and paying all over again for a wii u game lol...

See thats another thing. they move to game carts vs disc. To keep the system backward comp they would have to add a disc slot.
Now doing VC games doesnt mean the system is Backw..C since the games are being remade to work on the system.
But still IMO messes up the system because would you pay $40 for a game you have in your hand but it wont work on your new system so you have to download it.
Nintendo would stop doing that because they would start to lose money on remaking games people arent downloading

But thats just how i see it.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I can see a Skyward Sword HD port happening.

Seems inevitable. Though I think Nintendo would try and make it traditional controlled, maybe motion could still be an option. But they seem to have learned from the backlash of Skyward Sword's mandatory motion control, that they need to at least offer traditional controls in Zelda titles moving forward.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but the whole Wii Mote can be mapped to the face buttons and analog stick and button, and button on the side. You can Switch the Joy Cons with the other hand. So, it's doable.
The IR is only on the right one.
So if you flip the controller the
joycon_controller_map.jpg

The Z buttons which are trigger will be at the bottom.
The thumb stick would be ok, A and B would be fine. Remap the -/+ to a face button Y/X, but the hold thing would just feel funny.
Plus the fact that there needs to be a sensor bar for this to work. Now true you can go and get the wireless one (sensor bar only adds lights for tracking)

But just seems like a whole lot to do for not that much gain.

I would like to know what the Big N has plan for this port tho.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The IR is only on the right one.
So if you flip the controller the
The Z buttons which are trigger will be at the bottom.
The thumb stick would be ok, A and B would be fine. Remap the -/+ to a face button Y/X, but the hold thing would just feel funny.
Plus the fact that there needs to be a sensor bar for this to work. Now true you can go and get the wireless one (sensor bar only adds lights for tracking)
I know. That's why I said Switch hands, so you can get to all the buttons easier, excluding the Z buttons. Honestly, you could still probably do it without even Switching hands with some games. That why I said nothing about the Z buttons. There are already -/+ on the controller. People did it for the Wii, people will get a senor bar for the Switch.

But just seems like a whole lot to do for not that much gain.
Wii VC would be a good gain. The more games they can put on here the better.

Last edited by KingVamp,

PewnyPL

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're forgetting that Nintendo has the source code for their own games, and the SDKs are most likely practically compatible.
So... They won't need to emulate - they can just recompile the game for an ARM CPU target.
It's not that simple, of course, but much easier than emulation.

"most likely practically compatible"
Um, no. If you were to check the SDK for Wii and WiiU you'd notice several HUGE differences, especially in graphics handling, and WiiU is just Wii on steroids. Between WiiU and 3DS (which is exactly the difference between WiiU and Switch, PPC vs ARM) the differences are ASTRONOMIC. It's not as simple as taking the code and recompiling, or minor changes. The entire graphics handling would need to be rewritten, pretty much from scratch.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering that the Wii is just a beefed up Gamecube and that the Switch is rumored to likely have Gamecube virtual console titles (as well as the localization of Mother 3), I see no reason that if it can handle Gamecube VC titles that it also wouldn't be able to handle Wii VC titles. But I suspect it would be titles that don't (mandatorily) use the IR pointer, due to its placement on the Joy Con controller.

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It would feel weird to hold backwards but they could introduce a slide-in plastic thinghy to make the shape and buttons feel right again.

Remember the analog triggers on the og Wii white classic controller that eventually were barely actually used (except from the community with Nintendont)?

Remember when they brought back from the dead GC controller ports with the WiiU adapter for Smash?

Remember GBA VC on the 3DS for years kept as an "isolated incident" for
ambassadors on 3ds?

Remember tons of $$$ poured on Nintendo R&D in Paris to develop a new NES emulator from scratch last year? (used in Nes Classic Mini and probably the Switch)

Nintendo is not necessarily predictable and does "isolated incident" stuff.

I was talking about a possibility of an "open door" left by nintendo for some isolated instances of "Wii VC", not implying what kind of VC, maybe port for heavy games and "bruteforce" emulation for very light Wii games. Not sure where people assumed "omg backward compatibility". Just throwing some wiiVC bones at us maybe 2 years from now and that's it. Throw in a usb-to-sensorbarport 4.99$ adapter and we're set.

The big argument against all of this is that probably their line of thought (and guideline to 3rd party devs) is that every single piece of software and gaming experience that run on the Switch must be seamlessly taken on the go, just slide the tablet out, no exceptions. A sensor bar is a fixed apparatus that doesn't play well with that. Except if they put a pair of "virtual candles" (even in visible light, as the joycon cam could maybe see them anyways) superimposed on top of the tablet screen while running Mario Galaxy on the go. But that's a stretch.

Last edited by GBA rocks,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr