Hardware Is the region lock Country specific or Region?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
It's actually country specific.

Korea has its own region, same with Hong Kong and Taiwan.

It doesn't matter that much though, since the 3 main regions are Europe, Japan and Americas.

You can buy a 3DS from Spain and play UK games because they fall under the European region.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
NTSC-J (Japan only)
NTSC-U (USA/Canada only) (and certainly borderline countries + islands)
PAL (Europe/Australia)

And has chris888222 said, HK/Taiwan/China (and certainly once again a few extra kinda independent little countries may have their own region.

Don't know about russia east-europe countries? it's Pal?

flygon12345

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
India
NTSC-J (Japan only)
PAL (Europe/Australia)

And has chris888222 said, HK/Taiwan/China (and certainly once again a few extra kinda independent little countries may have their own region.

........................ :( asia is not a region :( nintendo fail...but i live in India got that 3ds imported from USA lol bad news is since its far i rarely get games

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
NTSC-J (Japan only)
PAL (Europe/Australia)

........................ :( asia is not a region :( nintendo fail...but i live in India got that 3ds imported from USA lol bad news is since its far i rarely get games

flygon12345

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
India
NTSC-J (Japan only)
PAL (Europe/Australia)

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
As for Asia, some share with Nintendo of Europe, and some with Nintendo of America.
As for Africa, that's mainly Nintendo of Europe.
Russia is NoE as well, as well as East-Europe.

HalMotley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I'll add this useful map into this thread.
Of course region locking is designed primarily to avoid piracy or Nintendo wanting to control release dates by not allowing people to import their games from abroad.
This is proved by the fact that old DS consoles could play cartridges around the world.

Steam do this as well, which is one of the annoyances of the platform (persons moves from UK to America, message box appears "Sorry, this game is not available in your region.", FUUUUUUUUUUUU-!)

The differences between the television standards PAL, NTSC, SECAM are to do with physical limitations due to the picture frequency (number of fields per second) of your television in PAL it is 50Hz and NTSC it's 60Hz. Two of my PS2 games which were Tekken 4 and Shadow the Hedgehog allowed you to select this frequency depending on your region and when I tried 60Hz on my TV, the output was black and white, plus fuzzy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu