Hacking Is the price worth it for the Acekard RPG?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does the RPG have everything else that other flashcarts don't? It's good for the storage, but what about everything else for that matter?

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's not worth it for the price, really. You can get a CycloDS and card for much less than an AKRPG -- Plus the CycloDS is much better
smile.gif

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's true. You could get the CycloDS for like $50 and get like a 1GB for like $7 while the AKRPG is like for $60-70. It all depends if you're willing to spend the money.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering that 65USD is still dirt cheap compared to what flashcarts used to cost (also considering the fact that you're essentially buying the entire DS library for that price), I would get the best available.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So just get a CycloDS with like 2GB memory Kingston Japan because it's the fastest. If you want more memory, consider the SanDisk or A-Data for 4/8GB MicroSD cards. If you want to be able to connect your AKRPG with your computer via USB, get AKRPG. Recommended for developers because it saves time (for testing). Also, I believe the 1GB onboard memory in the AKRPG (NAND) is faster than MicroSD because it's built in. But you can also purchase extra memory and insert it that way. It depends on:
-Price
-Features Wanted
-Memory/Built-In Memory

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
So just get a CycloDS with like 2GB memory Kingston Japan because it's the fastest. If you want more memory, consider the SanDisk or A-Data for 4/8GB MicroSD cards. If you want to be able to connect your AKRPG with your computer via USB, get AKRPG. Recommended for developers because it saves time (for testing). Also, I believe the 1GB onboard memory in the AKRPG (NAND) is faster than MicroSD because it's built in. But you can also purchase extra memory and insert it that way. It depends on:
-Price
-Features Wanted
-Memory/Built-In Memory
Bzzt.

Correct answer is: Acekard RPG.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
There have known to be issues with AKRPG that I have yet to see on the AK2.
While saying the RPG has less problems than the AK2 is quite amusing, I'll humour you.

What problems?

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:
There have known to be issues with AKRPG that I have yet to see on the AK2.
While saying the RPG has less problems than the AK2 is quite amusing, I'll humour you.

What problems?

Raqib12 said:
logical thinker said:
QUOTE(Raqib12 @ Aug 16 2008, 12:46 AM)
Hmm, got a problem with the global settings. In the official firmware, I had this line of text that hid folders/files for me

hiddenFileNames = __aio,akmenu4.nds,gba,gba_save,gba_sign,nds_backup,dsorganize,gba_backup

It doesn't seem to work anymore. Has it been removed completely? Or just changed?

Edit: Also... A clean Pocket Monsters Diamond/Pearl doesn't seem to detect the GBA games... Does this mean I need to use the patcher AGAIN? :/
Try hidding the folders in Windows and changing the option "ShowHiddenFolders" to Disabled (or 0 in the globalsettings.ini).

About Pokemon, are both games ROMs?

I actually fixed the hidden folders.

Yes, they're both ROMs.

Diamond in my AKRPG.
And Ruby in my EZV 3in1.

It worked before without patching on the official firmware. I haven't tried patching my Diamond ROM again, but I don't plan on it. I'll wait and see what happens with the new AIO.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rly now, I would get an CycloDS with a memory card. More features for only like a little more. Since the acekard is open-source, maybe somthing cool will happen to it.....

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU, that's a problem with AIO not with the RPG.

I say it's worth it. The only problem I have is the Acekard team seems to leave making new features to people working with the open source.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't want to argue.

It all comes down to the price. It all comes down to what features are needed and wanted. It all comes down to amount of memory he requires.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOwnAndPwnU said:
It all comes down to the price. It all comes down to what features are needed and wanted. It all comes down to amount of memory he requires.
15USD difference: price is irrelevant.

Both have MicroSDHC slots: storage space is irrelevant.

What it comes down to are features and interface, in both of which the AKRPG comes out on top.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Urza said:
IOwnAndPwnU said:
15USD difference: price is irrelevant.

Both have MicroSDHC slots: storage space is irrelevant.

What it comes down to are features and interface, in both of which the AKRPG comes out on top.

Feature-wise it depends on what your looking for. The Cyclo has RTS and In-Game Guide, whereas the RPG doesn't (correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand, the RPG has NAND Memory and the whole open source firmware thing which could lead to potentially greater things. I'll give you interface, although I believe an interface re-design is on the horizon for the cyclo.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well an ingame guide(or ingame text reader? Same thing?) is supposed to be added in a future version of AIO. Wasn't there an announcement of CycloDS's interface getting a overhaul, sounding a lot like what the RPG already offers? But who knows if it look/work as well as the RPG's or if they will even release at all.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xeijin said:
Feature-wise it depends on what your looking for. The Cyclo has RTS and In-Game Guide, whereas the RPG doesn't (correct me if I'm wrong).
This is true. If RTS is something you need, then that's something to consider. Personally I've never actually used the RTS features of either the CycloDS or SCDS1 in actual gameplay (just for testing), doesn't really seem as useful as it sounds.

Yes, the CycloDS announced they were redesigning the interface a little over a month ago, but there has been no news since and its not a good idea to buy based on possibilities.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Currently, the CycloDS is the top flashcart. It probably has more potential then the AKRPG. And it has a great support team from what I've heard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @hazbeans, welcome