Homebrew Is the OTP retrievable from a console with A9LH installed?

Cuphat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't used to using SafeA9LHInstaller to install A9LH without first dumping OTP.bin separately, and as such forgot to grab the otp.bin file before cleaning up the SD card of the stuff that was no longer needed. I know that it doesn't need otp.bin to install a new fork of A9LH, so I was curious if that means that it is retrievable from the current A9LH install or if I should just live without it for that console.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The OTP is only retrievable on 2.1 so you'd have to downgrade again to 2.1 to dump it. You can live without it though once you've installed a9lh.

Reactions: GilgameshArcher

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The OTP is only retrievable on 2.1 so you'd have to downgrade again to 2.1 to dump it. You can live without it though once you've installed a9lh.

Why is necessary downgrade to 2.1? The otp access is bloqued from the firmware isn't it? With A9LH we can execute apps before the firmware launch.

Boured

A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it is, though you will have to downgrade to 2.1. Shouldn't be bad as if you brick you can restore back to normal using A9LH.

asiekierka

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Isn't it locked by the kernel in 3.0+, which is why we downgrade to 2.1? If so, it should be possible to dump the OTP before you boot the kernel, someone would just have to code it.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cuphat

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just curious if it was stored in a retrievable way or if it just doesn't need it after the initial installation. I assumed not, but it was worth inquiring about. I don't think removing A9LH and doing another 2.1 downgrade would at all be worth it, so RIP. No big deal, it will just annoy me.

Just restore it from an SD card backup you made. You people DO backup your SD cards, right?
Sure, it was backed up at the start of the process and at the end, but only after I cleaned it out. I just wasn't thinking to get the OTP, since it was buried in a folder that I had just copied over and didn't care to leave around. On previous installs I had to dump the OTP as a separate step so it was much easier for me to think "pop the SD card, back it up" before continuing. This time, it had installed A9LH in one go so my thought process was more "okay, restore the NAND to something usable".

At the end of the day, if some pressing need for the OTP pops up and I have access to this 3DS again, I can always fuck with it at that point. I assume it won't, though. I haven't had a need to pull out my previous OTP backups, anyway.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
The Kernel9Loader, which a9lh depends on (particularily K9L2) to work, locks the OTP, you can still access the (OTP) hash used as a key for your nandkeystore from a9lh but not the OTP itself which is already locked by the time your own code runs, you however shouldn't need your OTP once a9lh is installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs