Is the OTP retrievable from a console with A9LH installed?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by squall14716, Aug 7, 2016.

1. squall14716
    OP

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    I wasn't used to using SafeA9LHInstaller to install A9LH without first dumping OTP.bin separately, and as such forgot to grab the otp.bin file before cleaning up the SD card of the stuff that was no longer needed. I know that it doesn't need otp.bin to install a new fork of A9LH, so I was curious if that means that it is retrievable from the current A9LH install or if I should just live without it for that console.

2. Temarile

Temarile (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)

Jan 7, 2016
    Netherlands
    The OTP is only retrievable on 2.1 so you'd have to downgrade again to 2.1 to dump it. You can live without it though once you've installed a9lh.

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Just restore it from an SD card backup you made. You people DO backup your SD cards, right?

4. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    you can update your a9lh without your otp m8 otp is not a problem

5. Raugo

Raugo GBAtemp Fan

Nov 22, 2014
    Why is necessary downgrade to 2.1? The otp access is bloqued from the firmware isn't it? With A9LH we can execute apps before the firmware launch.

6. fikatr

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    otp is locking itself even before a9lh

GilgameshArcher likes this.
  7. Boured

Boured The most perverted furry

GBAtemp Patron
    Boured is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I log in at ^w^
    Yes it is, though you will have to downgrade to 2.1. Shouldn't be bad as if you brick you can restore back to normal using A9LH.

8. fikatr

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    actually he needs to unistall a9lh if we wants his otp

downgrade to 9.2
    unistall a9lh
    get your otp
    install a9lh

Boured likes this.
  9. asiekierka

asiekierka Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2007
    Poland
    Isn't it locked by the kernel in 3.0+, which is why we downgrade to 2.1? If so, it should be possible to dump the OTP before you boot the kernel, someone would just have to code it.

10. Swiftloke

Swiftloke Hwaaaa!

Jan 26, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
  11. squall14716
    OP

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    I was just curious if it was stored in a retrievable way or if it just doesn't need it after the initial installation. I assumed not, but it was worth inquiring about. I don't think removing A9LH and doing another 2.1 downgrade would at all be worth it, so RIP. No big deal, it will just annoy me.

Sure, it was backed up at the start of the process and at the end, but only after I cleaned it out. I just wasn't thinking to get the OTP, since it was buried in a folder that I had just copied over and didn't care to leave around. On previous installs I had to dump the OTP as a separate step so it was much easier for me to think "pop the SD card, back it up" before continuing. This time, it had installed A9LH in one go so my thought process was more "okay, restore the NAND to something usable".

At the end of the day, if some pressing need for the OTP pops up and I have access to this 3DS again, I can always fuck with it at that point. I assume it won't, though. I haven't had a need to pull out my previous OTP backups, anyway.

12. fikatr

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    im sure you can get it back if its not overwritten there are 1 million rescue tools you can try

13. mathieulh

mathieulh GBAtemp Fan

Feb 28, 2008
    France
    The Kernel9Loader, which a9lh depends on (particularily K9L2) to work, locks the OTP, you can still access the (OTP) hash used as a key for your nandkeystore from a9lh but not the OTP itself which is already locked by the time your own code runs, you however shouldn't need your OTP once a9lh is installed.