Hardware Is the Nyko PowerPak+ good?

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ordered it for $17. It comes with the cradle. I read that sometimes the battery reading is inaccurate and this causes problems. I've also read that you shouldn't use the cradle that comes with it. This is because the cradle charges the battery directly instead of sending power through the 3DS and this is bad for some reason. That last part doesn't make sense to me however.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
That is correct. Do no use the cradle. Simply plug in the 3DS through the power port. I have the PP+, and I like it. Makes it a little thick, but that helps with my big hands. Unfortuntely, if I were to get the Circle Pad Pro, I wouldn't be able to use it with the PP+.

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Unsure about the cradle, since I paid ten dollars for the powerpak+ alone, but that said its still awesome. It's not that hard plugging it straight in anyways. Especially since now I only have to do it every other or even every third day! The thickness is negligible, but maybe that's cause I had a crystal case on before I got this. It still fits in my pocket fine, and feels normal in my hands, maybe even better than it used to.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the PowerPak but part of me regrets it. The battery on the 3DS is not the best, but with the power saving settings it actually lasts a while.. but Power saving + PP = A long time without charging ;)

I heard complaints about the cradle too but I don't use it so I am not 100% on how it works. My biggest complaint about the PowerPak is the lack of protective cases available for the 3DS that fit the extra depth

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
i love the power pak+ it makes the 3ds a little bit thicker which helps if you have big hands and battery lasts at least 2x more than with the regular battery. only down side i see is it doesnt fit too comfortable on the pocket

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got mine for around $17 + S/H from Amazon, but I had to pay extra since I am in Australia. Seems as though the local stores here sold out over Christmas. $10-$20 is normal in the US though

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
About the cradle for the PP+, it charges the battery directly without going through the 3DS power port. That could potentially be harmful to the 3DS due to the 3DS being unable to regulate the incoming charge itself. That's my theory anyways.

The cradle for the PP+ apparently doesn't fully charge the battery, and actually drains some of it. DO NOT GET THE CRADLE UNLESS YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR PP+ QUICKLY.

The cradle for me comes with the PP+. It just doesn't seem plausible that something would be designed with such a major flaw. Why does the 3DS need to regulate the charge? I

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Probably has something to do with their initial batches of the cradle that had such a high defect rate, that even if they did manage to fix the problem, people tend to stay away from using them because of the possibility of it still happening. Plus, you never know if you are getting a first-batch version or a later-batch version. It's really no problem to simply plug the cable into the back of the 3DS.

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably has something to do with their initial batches of the cradle that had such a high defect rate, that even if they did manage to fix the problem, people tend to stay away from using them because of the possibility of it still happening. Plus, you never know if you are getting a first-batch version or a later-batch version. It's really no problem to simply plug the cable into the back of the 3DS.

It's just so hard to beat the convenience of the cradle. I can leave it plugged into the wall all the time too. But I can't leave a cable just hanging there.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

It's just so hard to beat the convenience of the cradle. I can leave it plugged into the wall all the time too. But I can't leave a cable just hanging there.

Well, it's your decision. We're just giving you the heads up.

Aftcomet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Well, it's your decision. We're just giving you the heads up.

I know and I appreciate it, I'm just trying to understand it better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey