Is the NOR memory on my EZ 3 in 1 dead?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Randoma, Jul 15, 2008.

Jul 15, 2008
  1. Randoma
    OP

Newcomer Randoma Newbie

United States
    Hello all, was referred to this board through various people and there are a lot of good resources here.

I recently ordered a CycloDS Evolution and an EZ 3 in 1 expansion pack from RealHotStuff. Items received, everything seems to be working fine and I start the arduous process of backing up my DS games using the NDS Backup Tool 3in1 v0.31 : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2775 It seemed faster and more reliable than the wifi method (which gave me trouble and produced a bad ROM).

Anyway, things worked fine for a while, but on the latest backup, it starts to erase the NOR memory as normal, but then it gets to 30% and sticks there. I let it go for 30 minutes with no progress. Repeated attempts showed the same behavior. I downloaded the gba exploader tool and one of the larger homebrew games (super mario, last gba quest) to see if I could maybe "unstick" it using that. It started to erase the NOR memory and stopped just like before only at 77% this time (which makes sense I suppose since it doesn't take up all the memory). I tried running the game in SRAM and that worked ok, but the NOR memory still doesn't work.

Does anyone know of anything else I can try? Or is my NOR memory bad and I should get it exchanged?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere before, I did a search but didn't see anything similar.

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    you ran out of room.

3. evoo1

Member evoo1 GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    If your battery would be out of energy, you still would be able to copy your games into the NOR memory but the game would disappear once you turn of your ds.
    So I guess, as howidothat said, you ran out of memory. If cleaning up a bit doesn't help, try formatting your sd-card.
    If you do have plenty of space left, and the NOR still won't work, you may have received a faulty cartridge. Though let's hope you just have to delete a few roms [​IMG]

4. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    Formatting the microSD card wouldn't do anything. This is a memory problem with the 3-in-1, not the CycloDS Evo.
    He didn't run out of room, otherwise he'd be running a GBA game that would be 106 megabytes in size. The NOR probably has gone faulty, I can't confirm this however. Either you're going to have to get a new one or replace the NOR.

5. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    did he bother to tell you what game he was trying to flash? if it was pokemon, running out of room IS possible.

6. Crozone

Newcomer Crozone Member

Australia
    This exact same thing happened to me; except when writing to Nor (It erases fully). My one gets stuck at 50% on a 16 meg game, and 25% on a 32 meg game. So, Im guessing it gets stuck at the 8mb point in the nor. I can flash any rom that's less than 8mb to Nor no probs. Sometimes, but VERY rarly, it will flash all the way and work.

Is my NOR fried too? It used to work fine. I've tried Hyperlisks Nor eraser, and Erasing the EEPROM, But nothing works. I've even tried it in another DS, but it still gets stuck.

So, what next?

7. Crozone

Newcomer Crozone Member

Australia
    Oh, and also, just to clear things up, the EZ-Flash has a 32 mb NOR, and the biggest GBA games on the market (size wise) are 32 mb. Not even pokemon is bigger than that. In fact, pokemon leaf is 16mb.

8. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    pokemon isn't the bigest game in term of filesize. it just the most complained about game for those running on a 3in1.

9. Crozone

Newcomer Crozone Member

Australia
    I sent my EZ-Flash 3 in 1 back to my supplier for a replacement. I've done some research into the cause of this issue, and from what I can gather, its because of a single bit (or multiple, hell, even the rest of the 24 mb) not being able to be set from a 1 to a 0.

Unlike notmal memory, NOR memory cannot be set bit by bit from a 0 to a 1, it can only be set from a 1 to a 0.

In order to get the bits back to the state of a 1, the entire memory block must be set to 1. So if I wanted to write the bits 1001101 to NOR, I would first have to erase it to all 1's (1111111), And then write over the 0's one bit at a time (1001101).

The reason why the NOR can erase without getting stuck, is because it erases entire blocks at a time, so if one part of the chip is stuffed, it will just attempt to set it to 1, and move on. But if the programme tries to set it to 0, it will keep on trying until it is set, so it can move on. But if the bit refusues to be set to 0, the programme will get stuck.

Of coarse, I have no actual physical evidence that this is what is happpening, it just seem the only logical explination.