Hardware Is the new switch hardware revision worth buying ?

YuseiFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As title states, i wanna buy a switch and play botw, smm2 and other games that seem interessting, i hate competitive gaming, so anything not local coop im not interessted in it. Does the new revision have better hardware ? other than battery of course.

Reactions: NoNAND

fallingrat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It depends whether you would like to hack it or not, because they will be patched. It also depends on te use you give it: I usually play in docked mode and I don’t care much about the battery duration.

Reactions: NoNAND and YuseiFD

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'll certainly get the new revision with the huge battery improvement. This is a game changer for me.
I hope that at some point we'll get a way to run cfw on the new revision.

Zuzuooloo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its worth getting if you want the battery life improvement. The new Switch has the exact same battery as the original, just the chipset is updated which helped boost the performance. But Nintendo likely has this and the Lite patched from known exploits. So if you are interested in hacking with cfw and homebrew you will likely have to wait a while.

I may just get the revision and just leave it in the box on the side. Just in case, in the future it can be hacked with the launch firmware on it.

YuseiFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks everyone for your responses, true i am interested in hacking, but i have another question, games like Super Mario maker 2 which rely on online to dll levels, can i use that with a hacked switch ?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope that at some point we'll get a way to run cfw on the new revision.
So if you are interested in hacking with cfw and homebrew you will likely have to wait a while.
Be aware it might never happen.

thanks everyone for your responses, true i am interested in hacking, but i have another question, games like Super Mario maker 2 which rely on online to dll levels, can i use that with a hacked switch ?
You can do as the above post says to import particular levels to play offline, or you can do the whole sysnand/emunand thing to keep a clean system to play the official online with a legit copy of the game, as well as having hax separately.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use online play without being banned, you will need to use an offline emuNAND for all of your hackery.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Considering that not much has changed spec-wise save for the battery improvements, I won't switch my switch ( no pun intended haha)
LLike draxzelex said unless you're someone who has a disdain on hacking and homebrew and prefer to go the legit way of things than sure go for it if an improved battery is all what you want.

Here's hoping somehow it could be possible to get the bigger capacity battery of the new switch to work on the older model. Bit dumb of me to say this but I'd be great if such thing could be achievable ever.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i might get the lite for online use only since i alreadu have a hacked and banned one I would recommend anyone who has a banned switch to pick up a lite cause it's cheaper after all i feel wireless online redirection is dead for new games if you don't know what i mean SMM2 REQUIRES you to sign in to nintendo servers just to play locally

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The specs for the battery are actually posted, its exactly identical milliamp hours between the new and old switch. So its almost certain that it's the exact same battery.

When the new revision gets hacked it *will* do great things, thanks to the more efficient SoC you should be able to safely hit higher overclocks even when docked. I think this will happen at some point but it could be years away.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Its worth getting if you want the battery life improvement. The new Switch has the exact same battery as the original, just the chipset is updated which helped boost the performance.
We don't know that yet.
The specs for the battery are actually posted, its exactly identical milliamp hours between the new and old switch. So its almost certain that it's the exact same battery.

When the new revision gets hacked it *will* do great things, thanks to the more efficient SoC you should be able to safely hit higher overclocks even when docked. I think this will happen at some point but it could be years away.
Again, we don't know that yet.
Nintendo haven't even confirmed they're using a revised SoC, that's just the assumption everyone is going off of.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We don't know that yet.
Again, we don't know that yet.
Nintendo haven't even confirmed they're using a revised SoC, that's just the assumption everyone is going off of.
Since Nintendo have officially announced the new models now, hexkyz has posted about the devs' findings with SoC details. Click through for the whole thread.

Last edited by hippy dave,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho