Is the N64 of Smash Bros the best?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by dman777, Jul 25, 2008.

Jul 25, 2008
  1. dman777
    OP

Newcomer dman777 Advanced Member

United States
    Hey, I'm partial to the N64 version of Smash Bros. I have yet to try the Wii version because I don't have the Wii system. But I am curious... does anyone think the N64 version is better or the best?

2. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    The original game is good, but the others are better.

3. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Wiis the best version by far. If you go from wii to 64, youll feel like your playing an incomplete game.

4. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    The other versions are essentially the same game with better graphics, more characters, items, and stages. Definitely better.

5. vietknightx

Newcomer vietknightx Advanced Member

United States
    I find that the new version were better due to the more items. characters, and stages but mostly because of the balancing in the older version the throw was spammed and overpowered and the characters weren't as equal to others EX Link was extremely slow and had medium strength.

6. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This is generally how I remember the games.

N64: Slow, lots of hitstun, amazing concept and design

7. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Melee is definitely my favorite [​IMG]

8. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The N64 Smash Bros was rated 2/10 by Gamespot. Although, i'd say more like a 6/10.

9. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I'd give brawl a 4/10

10. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    N64 version was a novel at the time. Then again there was literally almost no fighting games on the N64 so the idea of a beat 'em up featuring Nintendo characters was awesome. Multiplayer was awesome but as a single player experience, once you unlocked all the characters and stages, you're just left with beating the time or score in single player.

Then came Melee. I loved it when I bought it on release but when my memory card got corrupted with my save which had every character unlocked and I tried to unlock them all again, the magic just didn't seem to sparkle anymore.

And now Brawl. There is a TON to unlock but all the characters can be unlocked in the SSE mode within 6 hours. The question is, would you have the patience to replay each and every mode with each and every 35 characters where the only achievement is an unlockable trophy in the end? This is my opinion but there is a fine line between a game with a ton of unlockables and a game where it feels like a chore to unlock them. Multiplayer? Oh yeah it's still fun but the online match was the biggest letdown ever hampered by the friend code and hampered by the lag from finding out that you connected and are playing against people on the other side of the world.

11. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Why exactly? Not an attack or anything, but did you like the other Smash games or did something specific to Brawl just not work for you?

I ask because I know a few people who BAWWWWWWWWWWed when they found that wavedashing didn't work. XD Then again, the one I'm thinking of said that wavedashing was intentional(!) because "if it's in the game, it's meant to be there." I didn't have the heart to introduce him to the world of PC game patches.

12. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Not trying to flame, but I felt that Brawl was a step back from melee. The game is slower, even more of a button masher than brawl, and more "casual"

13. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    As the smashfag I am I have spent over far beyond 9000 hours in each of the games, and I think that Melee is by far the best of the three, even though its the one I suck at the most.

Yes.

14. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    i went from 64 to brawl, and at the moment im finding it a bit challenging.

just seems a bit overcomplicated...

15. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    The N64 SSB received shit reviews and is generally considered the worst of the trio.

16. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Never played SSB so i cant comment. Melee was my favourite game buy far for the fact their was alot to do and it was fun to play. Played brawl, found it complecated (well from a pick up and play perspective), slow etc. I also hate how they have to add everything they could think of into it (i dont want to imagine how bland or jam packed ssb4 will be). I also generally start to hate games that are overated for the fact i like to play games which no one has really heard of.

17. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    For me Brawl and SSB64 rocks. Melee is too fast, and it seems that a few challenges are too hard (*coungevent51cough*)
    I love Music in Brawl. It's just...I can just power wii just to be able to hear these remixes.

18. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    First of all, even if the challenges were too hard then what has that got to do with anything? They are just a very very small bonus to the game which you can clear in an hour or two, whereas you can play VS for 2 billion hours. Also, no they aren't too hard. My brother who sucked even more at the time than he does now and still sucks even more than me (and as I mentioned in my previous post I also suck) beat event 51 when he was 8. All you have to do is spam Jigglypuffs rest.

If you hatwackers like SSB64 then you should set up Mupen64++ for online play. Urza wrote a guide on how to set it up here.