Is the Kinect worth it?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Delta517, Dec 26, 2010.

Dec 26, 2010

Is the Kinect worth it? by Delta517 at 9:01 PM (1,785 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Delta517
    OP

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    So I got some money for christmas and was wondering about buying a Kinect?

I just want to ask people who have tried it about what they think about it? Is it fun? Does the slight lag ruin it? [​IMG]

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    i got Kinect for Christmas and it's pretty impressive . the camera moves on it's own sometimes and it automatically detects you when you are playing a Kinect game . but before it can do that , you have to do all the calibrating and the Kinect ID setup .

i have that Kinect Adventures and Deca Sports game . my fam tried out Kinect Adventures and while watching them , it looked fun . the only problem is that you have to be in a more wide and open area when playing [our family room had 2 couches that got in the way :\ ] .

for Deca Sports , i just tried one game ; Paintballing . IMO, it was the hardest thing ever .__.
    maybe cause i skipped the instructions on how to play half way , but if you really want to enjoy it , i recommend actually paying attention to them xD . i thought you could just get in the game and guess what you have to do to play . sadly enough, it's not like those games where you have a controller and by pressing buttons, you'll know what they do .

overall , if you enjoy motion games, have an open space with no obstructions then go get Kinect !
    it's nothing compared to Wii, you can't compare the two . i haven't tried PSMove yet , but once i do , i will probably be able to see which one is more responsive and easier to use .

3. imtony

Member imtony GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just got a Kinect for Christmas too and it has been a blast for me and my family. I got Kinect Sports and Dance Central for it. Kinect Sports has some fun minigames that we love to try and beat each other's high scores. In Dance Central, it is a little bit harder for casual play, but it is still quite fun. I would recommend the Kinect.

4. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    got a Kinect for Christmas i hated it it was lame and i look like a fool also i got urge to puke while playing sonic raiders thing NO JOKE

5. dsrules

Member dsrules GBAtemp Psycho!

it might be fun for a few days, but now it's gathering dust here now
    maybe we need more and better Kinect Games

6. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    My friend was given one for Christmas tried it and while it's ok for some games it's just not ever going to be able to be properly implemented for others, it's just not really practical for a replacement to a normal controller.
    al teast not the way a wii remote or ps3 move controller can be since buttons are still a option with them and you aren't locked down to just motion controls, and at times it can be just down right awkward.
    i don't see it having a long shelf life, unless MS decides to dedicate all new games to it and it alone, though then that's pushing it's potential farther than it is actually applicable.
    unless of course you plan on hacking it and using it on the PC with the open source drives made for it, i'm almost certain it's not gonna do any good later on in the 360's life span so you in the very least got a expensive motion enabled web cam.

7. iSneeze

Banned iSneeze Banned

United Arab Emirates
    +1

The Kinect isn't something you'd enjoy for over a week at max. But still, if you don't mind throwing money away then get it [​IMG]. You can use it as a microphone, and you have awesome commands like "xbox open tray!" *bzzzt* and the tray opens. But yeah it doesn't really add much unless you're the kind of person who finds Wii fit impressive.

8. Delta517
    OP

Norway
    Thanks for all your answers guys! [​IMG]

I decided to go for it, and I think its fun! [​IMG] I hope they will make more games for it soon though. [​IMG]

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I wouldn't get it at all at the moment, but maybe in the future they'll find more purpose for the Kinect thanks to homebrew or so [​IMG]

10. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    my dad bought me one its okey

11. Scott-105

Member Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I quite like it. I got one for Christmas and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I played Adventures for a while, it's decent. I still find it enjoyable, but alas, it's only been 2 days since Chirstmas. Today I bought Joy Ride, Fighters Uncaged, and sports. Sports is great. It's pretty easy on beginner and amateur, but gets more challenging on profession and champion difficulties. Joy Ride is decent. The one thing that bugged me about it, is the stunts. They're not very responsive. The steering/ boosting works great, just the stunts. Fighters Uncaged is pretty impressive. It's a third party game, so I was a little uneasy about buying it. It was money well spent though. The controls for it are quite good as well. There are different fighters you can fight, and they must be beaten a set number of times to unlock a new tier.

To my surprise, Kinect is very responsive. That was the one thing I was worried about, and is the reason I didn't purchase it sooner. Sometimes in poor lighting it's not that great, but if you run Kinect ID in different lighting conditions, it's A LOT better. So if you do end buying one, I recommend setting up Kinect ID in several different lighting conditions.

TL;DR: Games are good, controls are good, very responsive, setup Kinect ID a lot.

If you do end up buying it, I hope you enjoy [​IMG]

12. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    We got one for Christmas as well. No one really wanted to play on it. We played about 5 games on Kinect Adventure before putting it away.

13. Delta517
    OP

Norway
    Yeah, that was one thing I forgot to mention: Make sure you got enough place! [​IMG]

My room was barely large enough to play it. I cant play two players on those games that requires you to jump around and all that stuff, but on games like Joyride its fine. [​IMG]

14. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    Had one since a couple of days after the release.... the bundled Kinect Adventures being marginally more fun than Wii Play lol..... no the on rails thing is pretty good actually.....

Dance Central - well I've played dance games since DDR so I was always going to like it - really great fun, but not as suited to parties as you might think - it's quite tough, and you really have to go all out: I can 5 star most songs on my own, but when there's a crowd watching I'll be lucky to get a 3 star lol! Great game, but if dance games aren't your thing, this won't convert ya....

Kinect Sports - oooh this is a bit of a tough un.... Bowling (THE main party game for the Wii Sports games) is imo not as good as it is on Wii Sports Resort..... same goes for table tennis. The rest are good fun though, and while it's a worthy buy if you get Kinect, you're not missing much if you don't, if you get my drift..

Joy Ride? Shite imo! M$'s answer to Mario Kart Wii, doesn't hold a candle to it..... not the worst game ever, but not worth it.

Otherwise, after the various ID setting up rigmarole and whatnot, it's a really impressive bit of kit! If you fancy a good gadget to show off, and don't have a Wii, then it's a no brainer! Otherwise, it'll never, EVER reach the same success as the Wii, and as a result you won't see huge amounts of publishers chucking games at it....
    Still, 'Rez 2' (Child Of Eden) coming next summer? That was worth the price of the Kinect in itself for me! (Rez being just about my all time fave game!)

15. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    My bro bought one for my nephew for xmas day and when my other nephew, who is older and much lankier had a go, he waved his arms in the air and smashed my bros chandelier to pieces, glass everywhere.
    This happened xmas night and my bro is still fuming about it. The kinect is now upstairs out of the way lol.
    I won't be buying one.

16. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    The kinect's worth it, because you can use it with Miku Miku Dance to make vocaloids dance [​IMG]

17. Mushkin

Member Mushkin GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Kinetic is totaly worth it.. i play at my cousins house, i would buy it for me, but sadly my bedroom is small [​IMG] but my vote goes to totaly worth it its money... 150 euros in Portugal

18. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    imo wait till more stuff comes out for it instead of a bunch of mini-games

19. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    lankier , i never even knew that kind of words were ever used ! i thought it was just in school where they used the word lanky [​IMG]