is the homebrew channel safe?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Mr.kuchinawa, Jun 27, 2008.

Jun 27, 2008
  1. Mr.kuchinawa
    OP

Newcomer Mr.kuchinawa Advanced Member

Norway
    I am sorry if this has been asked thousands of times before, but I just want some straight answers. Please don't flame.

I am thinking about installing the homebrew channel (yeah, I'm slow I know), but how safe is it really? I understand that neither the TwilightHack nor the channel itself has caused any Bricks, however, could they do that in the future? And if a new update arrives and it bricks the wii because of the HBC, could I then remove the channel without traces? (prior to the update, of course)

I guess it boils down to this: 1. How safe is the HBC? 2. If removed, is it traceble?

Btw: I understand that pirated VC and WiiWare downloads are traceable, and therefore not wise.

Thanks in advance

2. CambridgeGuy

Member CambridgeGuy GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    anything, without a system format, is tracable. but who cares? that doesn't matter at all! so what if nintendo detect the homebrew channel. they're hardly gonna remote-brick your wii for you.

and yes, the homebrew channel is fine and perfectly safe. i, and everyone else on this forum, can attest to that! [​IMG]

3. g4jek8j54

Member g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, since you are installing a channel onto a Wii, there could be a chance of something going wrong during the installation, and causing a brick. However, no such issues have been reported with the installation of the Homebrew Channel.

Also, regardless of what you have installed, Nintendo won't intentionally brick any Wii, so in that regard, it doesn't matter whether or not there are traces of it when removed. That's not to say that a brick couldn't happen with a future firmware, but if any conflicts rise with the Homebrew Channel, Team Twiizers will more than likely release a fix for it.

4. Mr.kuchinawa
    OP

Norway
    Can't be too paranoid, eh. Thanks, installing now

5. killplaystation

Member killplaystation GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's "safe enough" [​IMG]

6. Mr.kuchinawa
    OP