Is The Harlem Shake really the new Gangnam Style?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, not that one.
This one.

and many others.
Have you been watching these videos? What do you guys think about this? Funny, stupid, or even both? Going make your own harlem shake videos? Post it here. While you gather your thoughts, I'll leave you with this.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
It's an actual trend, unlike Gangnam Style, where people just made a bunch of fucking garbage parodies of it. The videos are funny, short (Which is one big factor that makes it less annoying), and I don't really mind this trend catching on TBH.

Reactions: gamefan5

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Gangnam Style became popular not because of the dance, but also the music video. I mean the dance also became famous but a lot of people remember the music video (hence the billion-plus views on Youtube).

I've never heard of the Harlem Shake either.

But like every single "meme" it'll get old and overused in a matter of days. If a popular video that capitalizes on the Harlem Shake emerges, you'll see the flood of horrific parodies (like Gangnam Style or any other meme) emerge.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
The difference between The Harlem Shake and Gangnam Style is, there is a much higher level of making a Gangnam Style parody as opposed to the average "LOL OMG SO RANDOM XD" with a webcam making a Harlem Shake video. With the average short length of the clips, and the minimal video editing it takes to actually make one of these, you'll not only notice the mass influx of these videos, overshadowing even that of Gangnam Style, but it will also hit mainstream media even faster, thus ending it's cycle as fast as it came. A figurative cloudburst of Internet culture.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn