Hacking Is the GW card just an expensive DRM dongle?

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So kinda off-topic here, has anyone heard from GW team lately? I mean it's kinda suspicious all their official mirrors are down. One wonders if they are really leaving the scene.

They already put new official mirror up, but didn't do a news just to say that.

To answer to other messages :

About a new updated launcher, except 8-1-0-0-J systems stuck without a working multirom menu, still don't understand why people want a 9.6 or 9.7 emunand so much (except just to say "hey, I'm up-to-date, maybe?). And if I were them, I would try to fix the multirom menu with another way than just releasing an up-to-date launcher, because doing that, the problem will appear again with Nintendo next firmware update, so better just do a fix to have the multirom menu working on 8-1-0-0J.

If RxTools wouldn't support 9.6 or 9.7, I could understand it (as game updates and new games couldn't be dumped) but it's not the case and System Transfer is not that important (if it is, just don't use piracy or get another 3DS just for piracy). It DOESN'T even transfer your friendlist (it transfered my friencode but not the list, mean everyone I had on my list have to readd me, it's not enough if I only readd them myself, so using a new friendcode would have been strictely the same in this situation...).

Bought eshop games? Just get them again as .cia files?

Modded systems are often not up-to-date, my PS3 is on 4.55 (seems Rogero CFW were stopped at 4.55) when the official firmware is 4.70 if I'm right and it change nothing, new games still work so why would I need the last version?

About N3DS users, it's easier, Gateway team said they might be stuck with the emunand so even if it's stuck forever on 9.5, we knew it (got announced before the western release of the N3DS).

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GW being exploit-dependent relies on EmuNAND to stay relevant. With OFW 9.6 and now 9.7 being released without seeing an updated GW software, it will last until the age of >9.5 really required games to end the dominance of GW (the unavailability of Cubic Ninja and TLoZ:OoT also isn't helpful). Gateways will still be sold for a while I'm sure as they work fine with thousands of games already released for O3DSs that can use the web exploit. Heck, you can still get a new/updated flash cart for GBA (EZ-Flash IV MicroSDHC). Point being that even then GW has no incentive to release a full no-card-required solution out of spite to "get back" at Ninty.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
9.6+ games isn't a problem, as gateway spoof firmware version. You can run a 9.4 game (Xenoblade for example) on a 9.0 or 9.2 emunand so it'll be the same for 9.6+ games.

The only way to have non-working games would be to use a feature that is only on 9.6+ firmwares, and there is no game like that for now.

And if some few games really require a feature present only in new firmwares is it better if Gateway keep their fix until those firmwares are released rathen than be stuck? (to avoid Nintendo fixing the thing again and again). If I were them, I would wait until 10.0 release (at least, for O3DS, as N3DS might be stuck forever on 9.5 or 9.6). At this rythm (Nintendo released 9.0 to 9.7 in like 6 months), we might see it before the end of the year.

Having this discussion when some 9.6+games that doesn't work on emunand exist would be normal, but for now, it's completely useless.

Not to mention 3DS is near it's lifespan, so you won't see hundred of new games releases. It's not because N3DS was released that they'll still doing games during years.

DS(I) was released like the N3DS and a few months later, the 3DS appeared.

And some people seems to have problem to accept Gateway owe nothing to their users, except selling a working cart (by "working", I mean "not damaged"). People who want to be always up to date have the possibility to not use a piracy product and just buy their games.

Even if they stop the support of the Gateway one day, it won't be the first time (nor the last time) a flashcard team would stop the support of their product.

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only way to have non-working games would be to use a feature that is only on 9.6+ firmwares, and there is no game like that for now.

That's what I meant with ">9.5 really required". It might indeed turn out to be 9.8 or 10.0 or so, but at one point there will be function calls that are only available in said firmware, and since the update is on the cart itself, there is no issue with compatibility: for the dev that firmware version is guaranteed.

I don't think Nintendo is giving up their track record of implementing "further improvements to overall system stability (...) to enhance the user experience" whether GW releases something or not. They might just look at rxTools, or pay experienced reverse engineers look at it with a big fat bounty for exploits and how to prevent the usage.

Even though Wikipedia has it all wrong, Sony's PSP Firmware update v1.51, which was released not as a reaction to, but was released *before* (and thus implemented, tested, QAd, well before) Swaploit (and the later K-Xploit), and fixed precisely that vulnerability in v1.50 firmware. Did someone from/in contact with PSP-Dev snitch out to Sony? Or did they discover and fix the vulnerability themselves? Unreleased kernel exploits being patched on PSP happened all the time, so it wouldn't be any different on (n)3DS.

But for now, GW works just fine; you can easily rip your own carts as well. With the N3DS, it's even better as I don't like opening it up too much (that sound it makes popping off the cover... it's just plastic and perhaps going to break one day) which you need to do to get at the intrnal microSD card. So it's easier to pop in the CN, then pop the GW back in. If you need to make a change, the microSD card in the GW is readily accessible.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, remember that it will possibly only be a matter of installing a CIA gotten via FunkyCIA or 3DNUS (to emuNAND obviously) to get additional support added like what happened with c/IOSes on the Wii.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think Nintendo is giving up their track record of implementing "further improvements to overall system stability (...) to enhance the user experience" whether GW releases something or not. They might just look at rxTools, or pay experienced reverse engineers look at it with a big fat bounty for exploits and how to prevent the usage.

But they can't fix something they don't know yet. If they were already knowing all the exploits of their firmware since the beginning, they would have fixed all of them immediately and Gateway would have never worked. It's more or less the same with emunand.

Let's say Gateway manage to support 9.7 for N3DS. Nintendo will probably do some modifications to break that in the next update (like they did in 9.6). So if you manage to make 9.6 work on N3DS emunand, might be wise to wait until an update is really required before fixing emunand support.

Like I said somewhere else, for now, I would rather like to see them working on other stuffs, like GBA games support for example. Or a fix for 8-1-0-0J N3DS owner, or even another exploit for the N3DS (I have Cubic Ninja and OOT but I know some doesn't) and/or N3DS exploit port to the O3DS, to fix the problem people without working browser have (5.x+ 3DS which have never been updated with Wi-Fi are still not support by the Gateway, contrary to the website saying "4.x-9.2 ful support", or whatever is written on it).

DSpider

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I think that a true CFW for the 3DS will be here shortly. The 3DS scene has been very active lately.

All I want is:
- emuNAND support with signature bypass (unlimited CIA support)
- DS profile exploit that launches it

An entry point would still be required (Cubic Ninja, Zelda Ocarina of Time, or just a Sky3DS), but after the initial setup it's GAME ON! The Gateway card would be rendered obsolete. Unless you really really need that microSD slot on the Gateway card, CIA is the way to go, since .3ds games can be converted to .cia and installed to the 3DS's internal microSD card. Heck, you can keep the cartridge slot on the 3DS empty, since we can now relaunch Gateway mode (emuNAND) from Settings -> Profile -> Nintendo DS Profile! No more having to carry a backpack full of cartridges anymore!

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte