Is the GameCube Zelda OOC remake better than the N64 version?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by bubbleboy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. bubbleboy
    OP

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi,

wondering if anyone with the GC Zelda Collection can tell me what the difference is in Ocarina of Time compared to the original N64 version?

Just wondering if it is worth it to get memory card and cabled controller and setup backup ability for GC on my Wii.

thanks!

2. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    the gamecube version was just an emulated version of the n64 original, only difference was the resolution allowing the game to look sharper on the gamecube, so no it is not a remake

3. bubbleboy
    OP

Member bubbleboy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thanks man .. yet again! :)

4. cloudskipa

Newcomer cloudskipa Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Nope it's not better imo, the main reason being the controls, it was a game that was designed around the "tridant" and it felt just superb to play with it, on the GC it felt like most other N64 games do, ie. it loses something special in translation. You have thee added benefit of 480i with the GC release but tbh I even prefer the low res 240p original graphics, it does better job of hiding the low detail textures etc.

Now the 3DS version is a different kettle of fish, I think it's the ultimate version of the game, just incredible in every way.

5. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    A few textures were also changed, but nothing major. I think some new bugs were introduced as well :/

http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time#GameCube_version

1 person likes this.
  6. gusmento01

Member gusmento01 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I have both versions, and on my Led screen, the GameCube version looks better, I think the component cable helps. I have about 24 N64 carts and all of them look bad on the Led screen, but on a CRT TV there is not much difference between the GC and the N64 version of Zelda OOC.

7. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Thx for this site! Finally discovered the mistery of extra key on Master Quest xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVicHryu1dA

8. ComeTurismO

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    yep, everything was the same excepting resolution.

9. wiifan_zangief

Newcomer wiifan_zangief Member

Germany
    The oldest (original) N64 version had a different theme in the fire temple. It vaguely resembles some kind of Muslim chanting or prayer, so they took it out in later versions (there had been complaints, Muslims love to feel offended;) ).
    Also, the final boss has red blood instead of green one.

The GC port is the later version. But the differences are minor.

10. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    I liked version 1.0 the best, the Fire Temple had cool music, but Ganondorf coughing up blood was a bit disturbing.

11. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    In really bad at sitting in front of a tv for gaming so ill play if for the first time on a 3DS.

12. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I also think it's fair to mention that, aside from the increased resolution, the version of Majora's Mask on the GC collection is inferior to the N64 version. The emulation is poor for some reason (possibly since it requires more resources), so there's more framerate decreases, slowdowns, and even outright freezes (which can really mess you up if you've been saving with owl statues).

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    still worth it to use the wavebird

1 person likes this.
  14. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Actually, there are a few HUGE differences:

1) The GC version has all of the censorship edits from the N64 v1.2 release, and then the Gerudo symbol was changed to not be Islamic.
    2) On N64, if a Bombchu is dropped out of bounds, the game crashes. On GC, it instead creates a double-size explosion, making Bombchu hovering ridiculously easy.
    3) The game has more memory allocated, so if you try shenanigans like Heart Piece duping, you can get more without the game crashing.
    4) The button icons being blue and green have changed to being green and red (lol)

EDIT: Also, xwatchmanx is wrong. The GC version actually has less lag than the N64 version. I would know, having both. It's still inferior to the $10 VC version though IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  15. xwatchmanx

United States
    I have both versions too. and no I'm not wrong, according to both my experience, and that of many others. Also, reception of the Wii VC version has been mixed, but since I've never had the VC version, I can't personally confirm or deny the claims about it. The Loading screen on the GCN Collector's Edition version even ADMITS that there are sound irregularities.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora%27s_Mask#Ports_and_remakes
    http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/gamecube-and-wii-zelda/6011-majoras-mask-gamecube-version-huge-dissapointment.html
    http://cube.ign.com/articles/440/440850p1.html
    http://www.gamespot.com/the-legend-of-zelda-collectors-edition/previews/the-legend-of-zelda-collectors-edition-bundle-impressions-6083637/

16. Mario92

Member Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    Actually it only admits it with majora's mask (like it says in first of your link) but that was laggy as hell in some areas also in original N64. We're talking about OOT here and it most certainly runs as good as original N64 version. But didn't GC version actually support up to 480p? I can't test now becouse my little brother has my gamecube at home and game doesn't load propedly with DIOS MIOS.

17. xwatchmanx

United States
    I was never talking about OoT, though. OoT runs flawlessly. I specifically was talking about Majora's Mask. Also, I mentioned the increased resolution on the GCN version. See...

18. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    The VC versions are flawless, and the average framerate is a perfect 20, not 18.5 or some shit.
    The only noticable area that lags on VC is Ganon's Tower in OoT. But it goes about 15 FPS, probably twice the N64 framerate at the same spot.
    Don't have Majora's Mask, so I can't say anything about that.

The control scheme is decidedly inferior, however. The more-sensitive GC stick just kills the experience for me.

19. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    I'm sure most of you already realized this but the game would be reffered to as OoT, not OOC. I see a few of you calling it OoT, but I also seen a few say OOC.

I prefer playing the original N64 versions due to the better control scheme with the C buttons being actual buttons rather than the lame C-Stick on GC or right analog on the Wii Classic Controller.

20. xwatchmanx

United States
    Really? I never really had a problem with it.

Idk about the Wii VC version, but in the GCN version, the X, Y, and Z buttons double as alternatives to C left, C down, and C right. The only thing you have still use the C stick for is C up to switch to look-around mode and to talk to Navi/Tatl.