Is the gamecube too recent for a Classic version yet?

Eastonator12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw rumors of the n64 classic, how long after that would Nintendo make a GameCube classic? I'd assume the n64 mini would be upwards of 100, GC would probably be upwards of 100 also

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The n64 would take more time emulating each game correctly than the snes. The snes/nes already come with a 8gb memory, so space isn't an issue.

The gamecube on the other hand would take less work emulating but would require a significant HDD upgrade to the unit.

As for whether or not a gcn is too recent a console for the 'classic' editions? Meh, it could be I guess.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Far too recent of a console. Hell, Nintendo is still selling usb to gamecube adapters and getting them to even work with the switch. Not going to happen for a long time. This whole retro console comeback is just a short lived phase that wont come back around for quite a while.

Reactions: DinohScene

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Exactly what Foez said.

Come on, the Cube is just 16 years old.
The SNES however is 26 years old and the N64 being 21.

Large difference between the two.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
would require a significant HDD upgrade to the unit.
heh, i agree what you said but the hdd space is kinda "bullshit"
gamecube games are 1.5GB, since the gamecube is a disc console, it has no slowdowns or shit issues if loaded trough a regular hdd
unless you are saying nintendo doesn't want to ditch the lazy approach of using the same board like they did with the nes and the snes

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's technically doable, but I believe it may cost too much unless Nintendo could find a market for it.

Then again they failed to notice the market for the NES Classic so idk.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw rumors of the n64 classic, how long after that would Nintendo make a GameCube classic? I'd assume the n64 mini would be upwards of 100, GC would probably be upwards of 100 also

The rumors is only a rumor. Why do you ask us about how long after that blah blah ? Why dont you ask Nintendo about that ? :) They are only ones with the acknowledge and accurate :)

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The rumors is only a rumor. Why do you ask us about how long after that blah blah ? Why dont you ask Nintendo about that ? :) They are only ones with the acknowledge and accurate :)
you think they would actually tell people useful info, ha XD

Reactions: DinohScene

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, what hardware is needed to emulate a Gamecube? Can a $200 smartphone do it? If so, It might be doable at a price people would buy at.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
i saw rumors of the n64 classic, how long after that would Nintendo make a GameCube classic?
The NES and SNES classic are riding the wave of 80s and 8- (and 16-) bit nostalgia that's cropped up, coupled with the fact you can emulate them on pocket calculators and the games take up next to no space so the "Classic" consoles are cheap and easy to make and are easy money. The GameCube will have to wait until hardware becomes cheaper, and 00s get back in vogue, so I'd say another 15 years, if ever?

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
I could see an N64 classic, but not GameCube. Considering they were still using GameCube-level hardware in the Wii, and that Wii U even had the hardware capability to run GameCube games through its Wii mode (albeit no mini-disc drive to make this possible w/o hacks), all that would make GameCube far too recent to turn into a Classic device. Part of the sales pitch of the Classic consoles is nostalgia. I don't think there's enough of that built up for the GameCube, either.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
We're not even sure the Switch is capable of emulating GC, so wait 15 years until some cheap ass CPU can do that.
It's not. Nowhere near powerful enough, CPU wise, especially so undocked. The Shield TV isn't powerful enough for consistent, playable GC emulation, and since the Switch's SoC is an underclocked, lower spec version of the Shield TVs it's simply not going to work well enough for "Nintendo quality" VC. GC VC, if released at all, will require ports (which is more likely seeing how they're having Nvidia develop Wii ports for the Shield TV), or lots of inaccurate hacks, something Nintendo likely wouldn't do.

As to a "GC Classic", as mentioned it's not old enough, and cheap hardware isn't at the point where it could easily emulate the Gamecube yet.

Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not. Nowhere near powerful enough, CPU wise, especially so undocked. The Shield TV isn't powerful enough for consistent, playable GC emulation, and since the Switch's SoC is an underclocked, lower spec version of the Shield TVs it's simply not going to work well enough for "Nintendo quality" VC. GC VC, if released at all, will require ports (which is more likely seeing how they're having Nvidia develop Wii ports for the Shield TV), or lots of inaccurate hacks, something Nintendo likely wouldn't do.

As to a "GC Classic", as mentioned it's not old enough, and cheap hardware isn't at the point where it could easily emulate the Gamecube yet.
meh, who knows, maybe if nintendo managed to pull of a way more efficient emulator then dolphin(which I'm sure they could do) it could just barely be possible to do gc but I can understand the doubt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a