is the g6 lite bad for homebrew?

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by maduin, Aug 7, 2006.

Aug 7, 2006
  1. maduin
    OP

Member maduin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm still waiting (for over a month now) for divineo.com to ship out my g6 lite, but one of the main reasons I got it was for some sweet homebrew programs like DSorganize and NitroTracker, both of which I'm pretty sure aren't going to be working on the g6 lite anytime soon (due to the inability for programs to write to the card). So is the G6 lite bad for homebrew? What's the best lite sized flash cart for homebrew that will be the most compatible? Should I wait for the M3 lite to come out and pick up one of those? I feel as if I rushed into things a bit with my g6 lite purchase.

2. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    NitroTracker works. The latest DSOrganize build doesn't. Since the G6 is gaining momentum, the homebrew authors will indeed take notice and improve support soon.

3. zubzeero

Newcomer zubzeero Newbie

Norway
    how did you get the NitroTracker to work?

4. XxMxVxPxX

Member XxMxVxPxX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    when i run homebrew i just drag the homebrew to the g6 flash. boot it up. hit up on the d pad. go to my media or some shit. then click the file and run header

5. TM_Sephiroth

Newcomer TM_Sephiroth Advanced Member

Brazil
    And what about...
    Beup?
    Moonshell?
    Homebrew-DS-Games?

6. tolax

Newcomer tolax Advanced Member

United States
    If homebrew is your thing then G6 is probably not the way to go...

No Doom
    No Picodrive

for example.

Wish I'd known before buying my G6.

7. pubjoe

Member pubjoe GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yes!

I agree. I was expecting to be able to use a lot more homebrew but because the G6 team are not releasing the FAT libs it pretty much means that the G6 is primarly for backups only and they are shutting out homebrew from being developed for it.

I wish I knew just WHAT they are thinking with this approach - I wonder if they intend to get around to releasing the fat libs or do they actually WANT to block all the really great homebrew from the G6!!! [​IMG]

...and if they do intend to be more cooperative with homebrew devs... WHY is this NOT their No1 PRIORITY??? [​IMG]

I suppose their legal excuse is the packaged PDA. But that still leaves 450MB free for.... what exactly? (other than backups).

Sort it out G6 team! [​IMG] It's a shame really as the G6 lite is a great product in many ways but it is crippled in it's current software state.

8. Rykar

Newcomer Rykar Advanced Member

Has anyone even asked them about releasing the FAT libs?

9. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    One thing you folks must remember is that unlike EZ-Flash IV, G6 can be supported much easier. Give the respective authors time to enchance their applications.

10. pelago

Member pelago Member

United Kingdom
    Why do you say that?

11. roylazarovich

Newcomer roylazarovich Member

Israel

12. Glacius0

Member Glacius0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    How about we send a few more e-mails then to really get them to make it a priority? I don't really want them to work on the next flashcart when they haven't finished properly supporting the last one. Chances are, by that time they won't care about the G6 Lite anymore.

13. 5kuzgib

Newcomer 5kuzgib Advanced Member

United Kingdom

Good idea, I'll send them one later [​IMG]

14. Killermech

Member Killermech Cookie Monster

Sweden
    Chrism needs to update his lib so it supports G6 FAT.. that's pretty much all that is needed. From there, homebrew developers will use that lib.
    Someone used a custom made chrism lib for the latest moonshell G6 support ver, since it supported reading the /shell dir. So I really don't know what's delaying this wanted update :/

15. Hellfenix

Member Hellfenix GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    G6 is using a pretty regular FAT system, I mean you can write to it from Windows with the writer without any additional drivers so it's musn't be weird stuff.

16. 5kuzgib

United Kingdom
    I got my G6L a yesterday and I'm already pretty sure it's gonna be returned in favour of a SuperCard Lite because of this.

I really wanted to use DSOrganize but that doesn't work... and as we know the G6 PDA software isn't in English [​IMG] And then theres all the other cool stuff that doesn't work.

17. djgarf

Former Staff djgarf I Am A Raver

United Kingdom
    if i was running a flash cart shop and u tried to return the product because it wont play homebrew i would laugh at you

18. 5kuzgib

United Kingdom

Well you could laugh all you want, it's perfectly allowable under the distance selling act.

19. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    everyone needs to stop complaining. i have a g6, and maybe 1 or 2 out of MANY homebrews i tried dont work. just add header people, all there is to it.

20. djgarf

Former Staff djgarf I Am A Raver

United Kingdom
    well i have just looked through the advertising crap for the g6 lite and either i missed or i'm blind but i couldnt see anywhere that stated it could play homebrew software so you really dont have a leg to stand on....