Is the Ez Flash 3 In 1...

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by smoothbwlr, Jun 25, 2008.

Jun 25, 2008
  1. smoothbwlr

Newcomer smoothbwlr Member

Mar 18, 2008
    United States
    the best to use with an r4? is there something else that you would recommend? I want to buy one but the idea of having to turn off to turn on just to save every time is a little inconvenient. Obviously I wil do it if there is nothing else, which is why i there anything else recommended?
  2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    Portland, OR
    United States
    I think you misunderstand how saves work with a GBA expansion pack. When you play the game, saves are stored in SRAM. When you play a different game, the save in SRAM is automatically backed up to a save file on the slot 1 cart (slot 1 is not accessible in GBA mode, so GBA games can't save directly to the R4). You don't have to take any extra steps to make the saves work, though you should make sure the saves in SRAM are written to the save files before backing them up to your computer for safe keeping.

As for the 3-in-1 being the best GBA expansion cart, I think it is, but that's because I like being able to flash a game to NOR and run it without having to start GBA ExpLoader each time. If you don't want a cart with NOR flash memory the eWin GBA expansion is probably a better choice (more RAM, lower price). The save system will be the same with any GBA expansion pack.

Your other choice is a standalone slot 2 flashcart, but none of them are as cheap or easy to use as the GBA expansions.