Is the eWin Expansion Pak compatible with...

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by SavageWaffle, Mar 21, 2008.

Mar 21, 2008
  1. SavageWaffle
    OP

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I was looking for a Slot-2 Flash Card. And i found the eWin Expansion Pak pretty nice. Is it compatible with the R4? I mean as you know, or not, the R4 Menu has 3 icons, Games, Moonshell, and Slot-2 Runner. So when i press A on it, will it run the eWin Expansion Pak if its on my Slot-2? And I know that it doesnt have Cheat function, is it possible, anyway to put Cheat Function in it? And can you put a 2 GB Micro SD Card in it? Or does it only except its internal memory?
    Oh and where can i buy it? Cause i know the official website is in Chinese. And i cant seem to find the "Resellers" tab. And im looking for a site based on USA or Canada. I dont care if its from anywhere else, but it should support Worldwide shipping

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    I have read many complaints about the eWin RAM expansion packs. There are GBA compatibility issues and save issues. The expansion pack works via a loader which loads your ROM into the onboard RAM and then lets you play those ROMs as though they were in a retail slot2 card. You can not simply boot the eWin from the R4 menu because it is not retail card nor a full flash kit; it is only a RAM expansion pack.

For a features list and reveiw check here:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=69293
    http://romnet.co.uk/main/node/147

Where to buy: http://www.psxboy.com/782_Ewin-Expansion-Pak.html

There is a reason its hard to find, its not a very good card. I do believe that ROMs require patching to work, saves must be dumped after each use, etc. I would recommend the 3-in-1 if your looking for slot2 RAM expansion and GBA support. I personally went with the M3 Lite slot2 flash kit. I can do all my GBA stuff, watch vids, play music, use the RAM as an expansion for homebrew (linux/quakeII), and launch NDS roms via a passme device.

-Another World

3. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    it is a fantastic card if you want somthing simple and cheap but does that job correctly. Yes it works with the R4, As i have a R4 + eWin Expansion pak

4. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Thanks Another World, but another question to all, is the M3 Lite Slot-2 any good? I just need a simple GBA Rom/Backup reader/player. Extra functions might be good as well, but its fine without it. And i thought the 3 in 1 only worked with the EZ Flash products/certain model. And if it does work with the R4, how can it be done?
    And, WOW, i just saw the link, you gave me to PSXBoy, and $12? And it does support the Micro SD cards right? Will a 2 GB Kingston(new) work? Since im planning to get 2 for my R4, and the eWin

5. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    Wow, after looking at the M3 Perfect Lite Micro-SD Adapter, there are alot of advantage it has. But the real thing i think its price it so high is because well, it has NDS Game support. But i dont need that. And it pretty much has the same stuff as the eWin except for the support in English, and its popular brand power over the eWin.

6. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Get a 3-in-1 or an eWin expansion. They will both work with any DLDI compatible slot 1 cart, and they are both supported by GBA ExpLoader.

The M3 Perfect is nice, but it's price tag isn't.

7. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    So the eWin wins on price? And the M3 wins on functionality?

8. Destructobot

United States
    I would choose a 3-in-1 or an eWin GBA expansion over an M3 Perfect regardless of the price simply because GBA ExpLoader is awesome. AFAIK, GBA ExpLoader is the only way to get true drag & drop GBA compatibility. You put it on the card, you put the clean, unpatched GBA games on the card, and you're ready to play. You don't need to patch GBA roms on the M3 Perfect, but you do need to create the save files manually or use the Game Manager to put the games on the card (unless they changed it and didn't tell me).

I would choose the 3-in-1 over the eWin because I like being able to play games from both NOR and RAM. The downside is that it only has 16MB of RAM vs the eWin's 32MB, and it takes longer to load the games into RAM (it's not that slow though, about 1 second per megabyte). I have only found one 32MB game that I actually want to play, so the smaller RAM size isn't a problem for me. The 3-in-1 has 32MB of NOR, so there aren't any GBA games that are too big to play on it.

9. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    What does NOR stand?

10. Destructobot

United States
    NOR flash memory. It takes a while to write a game to NOR (up to about 4 and a half minutes for a 32MB game), but once a game is written to NOR the 3-in-1 acts like a normal GBA game pak (you can run the game from the GBA button in the DS menu or start it from the boot slot 2 option in the R4 menu). You can have a game written to NOR and still play different games from RAM, which I find very convenient.

If you actually care what NOR stands for, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory#NOR_flash

11. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    I dont care how long it takes to load the game

12. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia

I find that the M3 Lite is pretty awesome! I can play more than just GBA off of it and I'm not limited to 16mb or 32mb of onboard memory. But the M3 Lite is a full flash kit not just an expansion pack that is why I mentioned what I'm using as another idea but originally recommended the 3-in-1. You are indeed required ot use the m3 software to flash a ROM but it only takes a second with options for trimming, cheats, boot up speeds, etc.

I have been looking into the 3-in-1 and the eWin since QuakeII DS came out for the RAM expansion pack. I still would go with the 3-in-1, it is only a few bucks more and has better support and more positive reviews.

SavageWaffle: The price of the M3 Lite verses the 3-in-1 is because the M3 is a full flash kit. It does indeed support NDS roms via passme, Micro SD (up to 2GB), a built in PDA, Movie player, Audio player, E-book reader, as well as GBA support. I purchased it because I personally wanted to do more with my slot2 than just GBA games. You have to buy what is right for your needs and what you can afford.

good hunting!
    -AW

13. SavageWaffle
    OP

United States
    I just want a GBA Game player/loader or w.e you have to do. I really dont care about the PDA thing since there is a DSOrganize, which i have for my R4.