Is The EasyCap USB 2.0 Good For VIEWING Games?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by mrtimotei, Dec 26, 2012.

Dec 26, 2012
  1. mrtimotei
    OP

Member mrtimotei The Legends' Proxy

United States
    Due to the fact that my TV has a very crappy quality, I've been looking for ways to play games, mainly my old game consoles (PS2, SNES, N64, etc.) on my computer screen. I heard about the EasyCap_USB_2.0 and I've been considering buying it. But before I do, I want to know, how good is it, in terms of VIEWING games? (Not recording. I could care less about recording videos.) I've seen some videos, and they looked kind of crappy... If that's how it'll display on my computer screen, then screw that.

But, does anyone have one? Can they give me an idea of how well the video quality is? I don't plan to plug the audio cables into the device, because I have a separate cord that let's me hook the audio cables to my bass amp.

So generally speaking, does the EasyCap have a good video quality for VIEWING games?

2. Sly 3 4 me

Member Sly 3 4 me GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm not sure about the video quality, but I believe it does have a 1-2 second delay from displaying it on the computer or external screen as opposed to the television. This wouldn't be a problem for simple recording as the recording might just be a bit delayed for if you are doing a Let's Play with audio or something, but in your case it may. Considering the fact that if you were solely playing from the television all of the controls would have a two second delay from actually seeing them... I'm not sure if that's something that can be adjusted to, or fixed?

Don't take my word on this as I looked up a few of these devices a few months ago and it could be an entirely different one I was looking at, I believe I looked up three.

Looked it up and there are some results for 'lag' and 'delay' tied with the EasyCap, but some say there are programs compatible with it that can stream it with a normal response time. You might want to look into that as well.

3. mrtimotei
    OP

Member mrtimotei The Legends' Proxy

United States
    Alright then. But, looking at pictures of the device, it looks like a one way input. Meaning, it doesn't display on the computer, AND the TV at the same time, so I think you are thinking of something else. But in any case, it it does have a delay, and it does work with other software without a delay, then I'll be fine with it.

4. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    Your not gonna be able to play (or at least it'll be shitty to play) your games with a 2 sec lag, even .5 sec lag is bad....

5. Carnivean

Member Carnivean STARMAN

United Kingdom
    All capture cards introduce a delay, even expensive PCI-E/USB3.0/Thunderbolt ones will add 50+ ms lag. There's frankly no really good solution for viewing on a normal computer screen unless the monitor accepts the console inputs natively, and even then it might not look good as you'll be feeding it a low resolution image to start with. Easycap in general is a budget solution that is not ideal for viewing and only really any good if you are recording or streaming gameplay while using a powered splitter to also view on a proper TV.